New WA Personal Best

ttb31183

New WA Personal Best

Post by ttb31183 »

This weekend I competed in the Long Lake Classic hosted by my club, the Spokane Bass Club. My partner and I have a pretty good track record at the event with cashing a check in three of the first four events, but this year is one I'll never forget. I caught my biggest bass ever from Washington during the event and it was very unexpected how and where it happened.

The fish weighed 7.95 pounds and came from an area that we always catch smallmouth. In fact, we were talking after we landed it and neither of us had recalled ever catching a single largemouth from that whole stretch and here was a near 8lb fish in our livewell.

#Seaguar

I was using a crawfish colored crankbait and casting to a bank with rock and brush and it bit. I had lost two crankbaits in the last ten minutes casting to the shore and decided I would tie on a deeper crankbait and try to parallel the bank in a little deeper water. I tied on the bait and instead of casting deeper like I planned, I cast a 10-foot diver in about 5 feet of water, made two cranks and it bit. First cast with the bait (lost it a few minutes later) and I had a giant hooked.

It was pretty uneventful though. I told my partner I had a fish and said "get the net it feels decent" and then I saw my bait coming to the surface and knew then that it was barely hooked if I could see the whole bait. It dove down a few times under the boat and was hooked with one single treble and we still didn't think it was that big until it went into the net. Then we realized it was much bigger.

It held up for biggest bass of the event and sadly, it was almost half of our 16.61lb limit that day. If only we could have had some bigger ones to go with it. It's still a catch I'll never forget. We ended up the event in 8th place after two days but still had got a nice check for the big bass award.

Tyler Brinks
Rod Martin

Re: New WA Personal Best

Post by Rod Martin »

Nice Fish !

Good color to her too.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Ditch Pickler

Post by Ditch Pickler »

Congrats! Good to see other Wa bass anglers on here!

YouTube.com/ditchpickler
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Can you say, Toad?!