The Ned Rig

RA8R55

The Ned Rig

Post by RA8R55 »

What are your thoughts about the Ned Rig. I read about it, but haven't ran into anyone who has had great success with it. Anyone having any luck with this Rig?
Freefall

Re: The Ned Rig

Post by Freefall »

My daughter whacked em with a Ned rig last week. No size to speak of, biggest was 2.5 but I was having a hard time getting the bigger bites myself. It has its place in my boat now.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
JLS (Jay Liu's Service)

Post by JLS (Jay Liu's Service) »

RA8R55 wrote:What are your thoughts about the Ned Rig. I read about it, but haven't ran into anyone who has had great success with it. Anyone having any luck with this Rig?
I have been using them for over a year and had good results on lakes. :D :D it works better moving it slow or dead steaking. What I like about it is that one worm ( finesse trd) will last thru 20 to 30 fish before it is destroyed, also t he hula stick works real good too,
deltabass

Post by deltabass »

If you're going to throw this rig, do yourself a favor and buy the Nichols Toadstool to rig it on. Made with a Gami hook and strong.I have caught numerous fish on this rig, tried other brands to rig with, and am more than impressed with what Nichols has done with such a small jig head. No broken or bent hooks.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Just spent 4 days on Shasta with a bunch of other old guys. The Ned rig was what everyone was using and talking about it. I personally caught over 200 bass and a 4 pound rainbow! 80% of them were on the TRD. Just cast it out and let it fall on a slack line, pick it up feeling for weight and move it a few inches and repeat. Seldom feel a bite, just pick it up and there is a fish on it. I agree with Jay, one worm lasts for many fish and you can just turn it around if needed. I will check out the Nichols Toadstool, does it have the little wire bait holder? I was using the Shroom heads and they do bend and lose their point, but that little welded on wire holds the bait on for sure. It's a good job to get it off the hook.
deltabass

Post by deltabass »

Yes, the Toadstool has a keeper on it. Works well
rico

Post by rico »

Look around, there are guys selling the Ned heads with the wire keepers for .60
rico

Post by rico »

Look around, there are guys selling the Ned heads with the wire keepers for .60
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

rico wrote:Look around, there are guys selling the Ned heads with the wire keepers for .60
If you known of someone selling a head with a quality hook I'm definitely interested....
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
rico

Post by rico »

Freefall wrote:
rico wrote:Look around, there are guys selling the Ned heads with the wire keepers for .60
If you known of someone selling a head with a quality hook I'm definitely interested....

sent you a pm
NorCalBassnPJ

Post by NorCalBassnPJ »

The Ned Rig is always rigged on a rod and I find myself fishing it often. I fish it on a 13fishing Envy Black 7'2" ML Fast Action rod and 6-8lb fluoro. I find that this setup is superb and outstanding for sensitivity and fighting feisty spots on Shasta where i mainly fish. The hooks are meant to be light-wire because it originated as a light-line technique. I've yet to lose a fish due to the light wire. Yes, it does bend sometimes when unhooking a deeper-hooked fish, but thats the name of the game with the light-wire hook and finesse approach. One could make a little bit heavier gauge hook and fish it on a heavier M or MH spinning rod or medium casting rod, but to me that takes away the fun of fighting 2-3 lb fish on light line. But, to each their own. Definitely try it out though for yourself and see if you like it. I find myself slowly dragging/swimming it on a slow-moderate retrieve, every now and then i'll add subtle rod tip twitches or a little bit bigger hops. Usually there's a fish on within the first few seconds of hitting bottom if there's fish in the area. if not, just proceed to work it at whatever pace and retrieve you like (drag, swim, dead-stick, twitch, hop, pop, etc..) There's no real wrong way of fishing the ned rig.