Best Football Jig Rod for 1/4-1/2oz jigs

NorCalBassnPJ

Best Football Jig Rod for 1/4-1/2oz jigs

Post by NorCalBassnPJ »

Looking for the best overall football jig rod to throw jig weights in the 1/4-1/2oz range + Hula grub trailer. Every now and then I'll have a 3/4oz tied on but only on occasion, since i don't really like to fish any jigs heavier than 3/4. I've been looking around and want to get something that isn't cumbersome for my 5'7" height. Anything longer than about 7'4" just doesn't work for me. I mainly fish for Spots since I live nearby Shasta and W'town. I'd like a jig rod that can feel bottom composition and bite detection in as deep as 40' or so of water or more. Yet one I can also pitch and sidearm cast to laydowns and shallow cover with hula grubs with the lake being full this year. Money isn't necessarily an issue but at the same time, I'll be more than happy with a bang-for-my-buck jig rod as well. I really like the Dobyns rods and the Powell rod that i own in the casting models. My new ideal is to buy really nice at first so then you don't have to worry about upgrading as much in the future haha..

Casting rods I have currently from Dobyns and Powell:
704C Champ (i find myself using this rod for shaky heads with roboworms or hula grubs mostly)
723C Max 3D (currently have a sammy tied on this rod, also use it for chatterbaits)
734C Savvy (buzzbait/110 plopper/spinnerbait rod)
706 CB Champ (Mid to Deep Crankbaits and "midsize" ripbaits)
795 SBMT Champ (Punker/Donkeys, Big Ploppers)

Been looking at the Champion and Champ Extreme series in Dobyns lineup as well as the Max 3D series in the Powell lineup.

Thanks In Advance
DanIsaac

Re: Best Football Jig Rod for 1/4-1/2oz jigs

Post by DanIsaac »

GLoomis GLX 853 or 854 JWR you wont be sorry you spent the extra $$. Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
Skeeterman

Post by Skeeterman »

I use the Dobyns 765 FL Fury and I love it that is what I use to drag football head jigs with. For $109 you can not go wrong with this rod.
Tony Lain

Post by Tony Lain »

I had been using the Daiwa Zillion MH jig rod for the last few years and it works great for the jig sizes that you mentioned and big worms (night fishing) as well. I recently started using the brand new Daiwa Tatula Elite series rods. The 7'3" MH is my new light jig rod, paired with a high speed Steez reel is an awesome combo. Check out the link:

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/rods/t ... index.html
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

I'll recommend two models . We make a DX 744C that will work awesome and It's my personal rod of choice for dragging/fishing jigs. I also made a Champion 744C jig rod. This rod is $100 less than DX and all of our reports from the field, it's a homerun. I back this up with sales numbers too. I don't use the Champ myself because I was already using the DX model. A great jig rod will be balanced and sensitive, with a very quick tip. The Champion 744C does all of this. I made it as a straight up jig rod too!!

THX!!
NorCalBassnPJ

Post by NorCalBassnPJ »

Thanks for your guys' input! Definitely looked at the Daiwa Tatula Elite rods as well as the zillions, but they're both sold out in the jig models and i'll be in the market for a new rod real soon. As far as the Fury's go, a great rod for the money but for what i want to do...well, i'll be splurging on this football jig rod a little bit since its a bottom contact presentation and i need to be able to feel everything and detect subtle pickups/bites when jigging ledges and deeper rocks and points in the wintertime. I'm pretty much sold on a Dobyns 744 thanks to the man himself Gary Dobyns. Now it just depends if i want to spend the extra $100 on the DX as opposed to the Champ. I have never held an extreme in my hands but I've heard awesome things. Makes me want to go that route haha.. My main question is will the extra fast tip of the Champ 744 allow for precise target-casting to laydowns and shallow cover? I know the Champ's are generally a tad slower action than the extremes but does the extra fast action of the Champ 744 react about the same as the DX 744 as far as short-range castability? I'm sure I likely cannot go wrong with either model. Just was kinda wondering how the ex-fast tip of the champ compares to the fast tip of the DX.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Great questions. I always build some tip into my rods for casting. You will not be disappointed in either of them. For the money here with what you're looking for, the Champ might be better but of course my dealers would love to sell you a DX :)

Now you must decide if you want Split or full handle. We offer it both ways on both the DX and Champ 744's.
NorCalBassnPJ

Post by NorCalBassnPJ »

Well, since I work at Phil's I could likely get my hands on either one without much effort haha :D . I've been trying to get us to get more champs in stock but the fury's fly out of there like no one's business. We can't keep our 702SF and 703SF spinning rods in stock long enough haha. i've never had a full handle grip but for tip-up presentations like a jig it might be better? I'll probably be throwing a Shimano Chronarch 201e6 on there for my jigging along with some 12lb fluorocarbon so i'm not sure if that is helpful in knowing how well full-grip or split grip will balance with that reel? lol
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Both will balance very good. The full handle feels a "tad" better to me. But, I like full handles so it could be just me :)
NorCalBassnPJ

Post by NorCalBassnPJ »

Awesome. Thanks a ton for your help Gary!! I'll be ordering one of those 744's here within the next couple weeks. Probably a split grip since that's what I'm used to haha.
fishinchips

Post by fishinchips »

I would not over look the Powell 764 3-D max loose tip for the first 1/3rd of rod all back bone after that. The 7'6 length
helps pick up line and the lack of a parabolic bend helps with any line stretch.You can feel'um breath on this thing....
Lol well maybe i'm stretching it a little bit, but yes very sensitive. I'm a reel set kind of guy and this rod has what you need for that application paired with a Lews 8:1:1 and your set.
NorCalBassnPJ

Post by NorCalBassnPJ »

i had looked at the max3D 764 but i just don't do well with a 7.5' rod for how short i am lol. Even 7'4" is pushing it. I also looked at the Max3D 734 and that seemed like a good choice also. I've never had a real high end Dobyns though so it is pretty tempting to give one a shot haha.
WRB

Post by WRB »

When someone asks me a question regarding Dobyns rods I always recommend they call Gary and ask him because he will give you an honest answer and you can't get that with any other rod maker.
I am old school jig fisherman and use casting jigs nearly every outing the past 50 years so have a lot of time on the water fishing them. The only things that are important is detecting strikes and getting a good hook set. Light weight well balanced rods and smooth casting reels with reliable drags allow you to cast all day without loosing your focus. Length of rods today are longer, most over 7', my jigs rods are 6'10" becuase that is the length I prefer. My average jig casting distance is over 40 yards, so longer rods are not needed. You can't get a good hook set at over 30 yards using the cross the eyes rod whip hook set, the rod alone simply doesn't move the jig at that distance. The reel set with firm rod sweep is the technique I have used for decades successfully. My point is you don't need 7'6" jig rods for casting deep structure football jigs. You do need to keep in touch with the jig every moment it's in the water, so feel your line to detect any strikes.
The best jig rod is the one you have confidence fishing all day.
Tom
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

[quote="WRB"]You can't get a good hook set at over 30 yards using the cross the eyes rod whip hook set, the rod alone simply doesn't move the jig at that distance. The reel set with firm rod sweep is the technique I have used for decades successfully.
Tom[/quote]

Tom I couldn't agree more. I watch more fish get lost because of improper hooksets. If fishing deep or anytime with light line, a firm sweep will always land far more fish. I have been running a camera boat a lot last 1 1/2 years for WWBT (only because some think an owner shouldn't fish :twisted: ) but I'm amazed at bad mechanics by some good anglers. Heck we all get out of position and screw up sometimes but many guys could help themselves with a GoPro and watch their mechanics at days end.

I do like a long jig rod though :)