A Rig , set up questions..

Freefall

A Rig , set up questions..

Post by Freefall »

I am just getting into throwing an A rig around and have had a litte bit of success but I still have a lot to learn.

I have a G funk Cali rig (not bladed) and am using Dirty jigs swimbait heads. I have been mixing up Keitech's and little dippers in different sizes and colors.

My question is, what weight heads do you guys usually start with?

Do you have a rod recommendation? I've been throwing it on a Dobyns 735 Sierra. It works but I'm sure it's not ideal.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
Jason Borofka

Re: A Rig , set up questions..

Post by Jason Borofka »

Start out with 1/4 oz heads on the 2 bottom arms and a 1/8 oz in the middle. Right now my favorite rod for the Gfunk G Rig is a Dobyns Fury 795sb with a Curado 300 20lb mono.

Good luck!
Jason
nate50

Post by nate50 »

You can check out Matt allens video on tactical Bassin, it's an older post, about how to set up an a-rig he covers everything from equipment to changing the snaps and O rings. It helped me get into throwing them and having confidence in them.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

I agree with Jason. I start with 1/4oz on bottom and 1/8oz on the rest of my hooks. It's not a heavy rig this way but still fishes deep. Jason makes one of the very best A rigs too. Lots of rods will handle this set-up. 806 CB, 805 SB, but one that really shines is our new 804 SB. Great stick plus doubles as an outstanding 10 XD rod. Baits? Just about any swimmer will work. I fish mostly Kietchs (almost for sure spelled wrong). This is a great bait but fish are getting conditioned to it. I still fish it a lot!!
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

Gary Dobyns wrote:I agree with Jason. I start with 1/4oz on bottom and 1/8oz on the rest of my hooks. It's not a heavy rig this way but still fishes deep. Jason makes one of the very best A rigs too. Lots of rods will handle this set-up. 806 CB, 805 SB, but one that really shines is our new 804 SB. Great stick plus doubles as an outstanding 10 XD rod. Baits? Just about any swimmer will work. I fish mostly Kietchs (almost for sure spelled wrong). This is a great bait but fish are getting conditioned to it. I still fish it a lot!!

Thanks for the response.

What would you think of throwing that rig on with a 784?

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

The 784C has wrong action and I wouldn't do it. THX!!!!
Rattle

Post by Rattle »

Freefall, you are wasting your time. A-Rigs do not work!!! TEE HEE :P
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

Rattle wrote:Freefall, you are wasting your time. A-Rigs do not work!!! TEE HEE :P
Nobody said I was smart :lol: