Mercury xri

cory

Mercury xri

Post by cory »

Trying to reach out and see if their are any mercury guys that can help me I recently got a 86 ranger 393v with a 92 mercury xri 200 , boat ran great when I took it out the first trip then it sat for a few weeks and I redid the livewells and cleaned up the transom area . As far a I know I didn't touch any electrical besides unhooking the battery an hooking them back up and when I took it out yesterday it hesitated a little on plane and for up and ran at 4500 rpms at wot if I tried to pin it it would bog down drove for about 10 mins then when I came off plane It would only run 5mph and I had to use the electric prime to keep giving it fuel or it would die the filter in the transom was almost empty but both tanks are full of gas ideas I'm not to savy mechanic
gabuelhaj

Re: Mercury xri

Post by gabuelhaj »

Could be pulse pump needs repaired/replaced. Also goto bassboatcentral.com and post under the Mercury forum as there are many there who can help.

Good luck and hope you get up and running quick!
Glenn Abuelhaj
zdbm2004

Post by zdbm2004 »

I'd start with the fuel filter. If the fuel has sat for a long time between uses I'd remove it and replace the filter, add a stabilizer and ethanol treatment. Pull a few plugs and check for carbon build up. Most of the time it would be the lower plugs. If you do have carbon on the plugs do a decarbon treatment where you fog the intake. I've got a lot of parts for your engine. Let me know what you need and I also have 12 new plugs for it also. No longer need them. Mine blew a few months back. I've got a complete engine with another cowling and lower unit too. Zack (707)720-4071 Good luck!!!
zmyers
cory

Post by cory »

Boat hasn't been sitting I used it a few weeks ago and ran fine then I pulled the transom area apart and redid the livewells did touch anything electrical and it started acting up not sure what's up I'm sure it's something stupid I missed but I hate taking things to a shop and get taken over from them just to throw parts at it
Catmantwo

Post by Catmantwo »

Check your fuel line hose to make sure they are ethanol resistant.
If they are solid black, they need to be replaced immediately.

They need to be either black with a blue stipe, or the newer grey ones - which should be marked ethanol resistant.
I think the good ones would be marked type A or B.
Your symptoms sound like fuel related and the lines could be flakey which would starve the motor. Running the boat the few good times might have caused the old lines to flake and cause problem you described.
I would also check/change the bulb if it is older as well as it may not be ethanol resistant as well.

Very common with older boats.
Last edited by Catmantwo on Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zdbm2004

Post by zdbm2004 »

You're gonna get suggestions not solutions unless you take it to a mechanic. I'd lean towards a fuel delivery problem. Check the fuel lines and squeeze bulb for holes or marks that could potentially cause a leak in pressure all the way up to the EFI or carbs. You've already explained a lack of fuel.
zmyers
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

sounds like a bad fuel bulb if pumping ut helped. I'd start there for less than $20. Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
cory

Post by cory »

I will pull the lines and swap them out it just seems odd the motor runs like a top I go out once a week and then it takes a dump are fuel lines that weary were they just go out all of a sudden . Thanks for the info I'll start pulling stuff and see I might try hooking it up to a small tank and see if the problem persists
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Check your vent line from your tank to the hull also
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Catmantwo

Post by Catmantwo »

Cory
ethanol eats up (corrodes) the inside of the older rubber fuel lines, especially if it hasn't been run much before you gt the boat. Its kinda like "dry rot" on tires that have been sitting around for a while. Once you start using them (Tires/fuel lines), they will shortly fail and separate.
Hopefully they just clogged up (if this is truly the problem), and not passed the chewed up bits into your injectors.
The older hoses basically collapse internally.
Trace

Post by Trace »

It looks like you are going in the right direction . those fuel lines really fall apart inside. Good luck.
harry chang

Post by harry chang »

check your tank selector switch. could be as simple as the switch is not fully set on either side and is in between the positions.
cory

Post by cory »

Still can figure out what's wrong fuel lines are fine free clean vents clean, it ran fine before I tore the transom area up and rebut the livewells pumps could I have missed hooking something up
Trace

Post by Trace »

Is there an electric prime? I thought that was a choke. Maybe Check the function of that.
zdbm2004

Post by zdbm2004 »

Did you pull the plugs yet? 5 minute job would tell you if you have carbon built up and pistons are not firing right. Loss of compression would cause it to "bog" down and run sloppy. Might have lost a cylinder.
zmyers
hydro

Post by hydro »

I have the same motor same year and went all though the ignition and fuel systems to find the problem and fixed it myself . A motor this old will develop problems especially with fuel lines and the primer bulb due to ethanol in the fuel these days . Send me a PM and I can give you some tips
cory

Post by cory »

Ran the compression last night all six cylinders at 112 across the board the hi flow fuel pump sounds like it is working fine the filter before the primer bulb has air in it and only fills about a 1/4 of The way is that normal or should it be free of air completely
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

gabuelhaj wrote:Could be pulse pump needs repaired/replaced. Also goto bassboatcentral.com and post under the Mercury forum as there are many there who can help.

Good luck and hope you get up and running quick!
Another excellent source of information, as far as Ranger Boats is concerned, is the Ranger Bass Boat Owners Group on Facebook. Here's a link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/161435340546025/
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

cory wrote:Ran the compression last night all six cylinders at 112 across the board the hi flow fuel pump sounds like it is working fine the filter before the primer bulb has air in it and only fills about a 1/4 of The way is that normal or should it be free of air completely
Try a new bulb as Dan suggested. If problem still exists, then use a portable tank. The bulb and filters should all be full with no air.

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
cory

Post by cory »

So I thought I figured it out this morning I pulled the fuel lines and they look fine but only one tank runs to the motor the other one the fuel line had a bolt and a clamp and went to nothing I thought this was my issue because I was trying to run a tank that was mot hooked up. At the transom their use to be a fuel tank selector switch which is gone and the one line runs straight to the motor . I thought I found the problem but what I don't understand is the sltabj selector switch on the dash should only tell you the sending unit fuel line or am I wrong because no matter what switch I had it on it should still pull from the one tank it's hooked up to or am I wrong
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

Typically you have a manual select tank selector switch. This is a mechanical brass valve with a knob to select which tank to use. This determines which tank to draw fuel from. The switch on the dash only provides float level readings and does nothing to switch the fuel flow from the actual tanks. It appears the previous owner stubbed off one tank (find out why) , removed the mechanical fuel selector switch/valve and direct connected the remaining tank to the engine.
Glenn Abuelhaj
cory

Post by cory »

I'm not sure if the tanks good or not is their a way to test the tank it's full of gas and removing it doesn't seem doable. The tank selector at the transom is missing so I ordered a new one through ranger as well as new wind screens I would like to get the other tank working other wise I only have a 12 gallon tank and that won't last a full day on The water during a tournament I'm going to replace the fuel lines from the tank to the selector valve I got a new primer ball and online fuel filter it's definitely a fuel issue before the primer ball because the inline filter bearly gets fuel in it before the primer ball .inwill remove the fitting at the tank and clean that out as well to and go from their
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

A quick test is to connect the bulb to a tank fuel line and hook an extension fuel line on the other side of the bulb to dump the fuel into a portable tank on the floor. Squeeze the bulb until fuel flows. When the portable tank fills, raise the portable tank above the boat tanks level to stop the flow. Then do the same for the other tank.

The bulb has arrows identifying when end goes where and hold the bulb vertically while squeezing until flowing then it can rest horizontal/level once the flow is steady.

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj