Endagered Species Act Signs Off on Delta Tunnels

crawdaddy

Endagered Species Act Signs Off on Delta Tunnels

Post by crawdaddy »

Go to Mavensnotebook.com and read for yourself.

“Federal agencies responsible for the protection of species listed under the Endangered Species Act (ESA) today provided biological opinions on the proposed construction and operation of California WaterFix. These biological opinions allow WaterFix to continue moving toward construction as early as 2018. This important project is designed to ensure a reliable water source for 25 million Californians while affording environmental protections for multiple species that depend upon the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta.

“We are poised to take action to better protect our state water supplies and native fisheries,” said California Secretary for Natural Resources John Laird. “After 10 years of study, analysis, dialogue and scientific inquiry, we have come to a shared vision—and feasible approach—for how best to meet the co-equal goals of providing a more reliable water supply for California and protecting, restoring and enhancing the Delta ecosystem.”

The proposed project includes new water intakes on the Sacramento River near Hood and dual 35-mile-long tunnels to carry water to the existing south Delta pumping plants for the State Water Project (SWP) and Central Valley Project (CVP). Both biological opinions found the construction and operations of WaterFix as proposed would not jeopardize the continued existence of ESA-listed species or destroy or adversely modify critical habitat for those species.

I don't know how we can stop them at this point.
I would rather jog home from my own Vasectomy than spend Saturday at the mall.
gabuelhaj

Re: Endagered Species Act Signs Off on Delta Tunnels

Post by gabuelhaj »

If what they say is true, then why did they restrict the pumping in the past? Appear's their creditability will be questioned when this reaches the court...

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
Andy Lippert

Post by Andy Lippert »

What blows my mind is that fisherman seem to be the most upset about any of this. In the Delta Plan they reference significant impact on "legacy communities" of the Delta--to include surrounding ag and even communities like Discovery Bay. The expected significant rise in salinity levels due to "reverse flow" because of cutting the fresh water supply to the river, is going to turn Disco/Bethel and other places into a salt marsh...and I'd expect property values will plummet. How there hasn't been a bigger fight against all of this blows my mind.

Better get out and enjoy the river while we still can. Following Barrack's lead sounds more enticing by the day in this corrupt political cesspool of a state.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Andy Lippert wrote:What blows my mind is that fisherman seem to be the most upset about any of this. In the Delta Plan they reference significant impact on "legacy communities" of the Delta--to include surrounding ag and even communities like Discovery Bay. The expected significant rise in salinity levels due to "reverse flow" because of cutting the fresh water supply to the river, is going to turn Disco/Bethel and other places into a salt marsh...and I'd expect property values will plummet. How there hasn't been a bigger fight against all of this blows my mind.

Better get out and enjoy the river while we still can. Following Barrack's lead sounds more enticing by the day in this corrupt political cesspool of a state.
The only hope we have is that the courts will rule against the Tunnels, but I don't hold out much hope. The State Water people have altered the biological findings, and that needs to be challenged. Restore the Delta is the most outspoken advocate for the Delta, and the strongest opponent of the Tunnels. WaterFix is just that, a fixed deal, as in rigged. Jerry Brown has sold his soul to someone to get the Feds on board.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Bassphish

Post by Bassphish »

crawdaddy wrote:Go to Mavensnotebook.com and read for yourself.

“Federal agencies responsible for the protection of species listed under the Endangered Species Act (ESA) today provided biological opinions on the proposed construction and operation of California WaterFix. These biological opinions allow WaterFix to continue moving toward construction as early as 2018. This important project is designed to ensure a reliable water source for 25 million Californians while affording environmental protections for multiple species that depend upon the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta.

“We are poised to take action to better protect our state water supplies and native fisheries,” said California Secretary for Natural Resources John Laird. “After 10 years of study, analysis, dialogue and scientific inquiry, we have come to a shared vision—and feasible approach—for how best to meet the co-equal goals of providing a more reliable water supply for California and protecting, restoring and enhancing the Delta ecosystem.”

The proposed project includes new water intakes on the Sacramento River near Hood and dual 35-mile-long tunnels to carry water to the existing south Delta pumping plants for the State Water Project (SWP) and Central Valley Project (CVP). Both biological opinions found the construction and operations of WaterFix as proposed would not jeopardize the continued existence of ESA-listed species or destroy or adversely modify critical habitat for those species.

I don't know how we can stop them at this point.
"We are poised to take action to better protect our state water supplies and native fisheries,” This statement referencing "native fisheries " should be the most concerning to those who fish for bass or the "predatory" fish of the Delta. But hey, the new, revised cost of the tunnels is 17.1 billion, with any cost overruns being absorbed by taxpayers.
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Have the Tunnels ever been on a ballot in California to determine if the residents of this State want to spend $17.1B to both destroy the Delta and further enrich the water whores who are already taking our water ?

Or is it moving forward because Jerry Brown & Stewart Resnick say it is a good idea ?
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

MichaelB wrote:Have the Tunnels ever been on a ballot in California to determine if the residents of this State want to spend $17.1B to both destroy the Delta and further enrich the water whores who are already taking our water ?

Or is it moving forward because Jerry Brown & Stewart Resnick say it is a good idea ?
SB 1 Jerry's gas tax passed without any citizen votes and this more than likely will too. All this activity is just schematics for the masses....
Glenn Abuelhaj
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Don't know what to do ...... just went to "Restore the Delta" and sent them $25.
They are the only organization that has a prayer of stopping this disaster.
zdbm2004

Post by zdbm2004 »

https://m.eastbayexpress.com/SevenDays/ ... s-to-pipes
This is a good read and fills you in on the puppet show at hand. This corporation is in the pockets of everyone. Left, right, doesn't matter. The focus might be on the delta but this is going on everywhere there is a watershed in CA.
zmyers
ddd

Post by ddd »

What can people do? I think most on here sign the petitions, vote and want to find solution.
If the delta turns to salt, I can only imagine the fishing pressure clear lake, berryessa etc etc etc will get. Brutal fishing pressure!
All the rats are gonna need to find something to eat!
Is there anything more that we can do? Somebody way smarter than I must have some sort of answer. Or do we just sit, wait, take it on the chin, expect the worst, hope for the best?
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I don't know what we can do. Both the State Govt., and the Courts, seem to be bought and paid for by wealthy campaign contributors.
We truly have the best government money can buy!
CLEAN AND DRY
norththird

Post by norththird »

If saltwater intrusion reaches Stockton, how long until the saltwater starts contaminating the
ground water supply (well water) in the region? Is this something that could happen? If so, then what?
ddd

Post by ddd »

Mark, thank you for the reply.
If anyone out there has a link to more petitions, where I can donate, where I can sit and protest, where I can friggn do something, please post it.

I mean, bobby barrack is leaving the delta!! Our bass fish are in trouble, people's livelihoods are at stake, people's way of life are in jeopardy.
ddd

Post by ddd »

Has B.A.S.S, FLW, WWBT, WON, SAF etc etc etc spoken out against this?
Is the bass fishing/fresh water fishing community pushing hard against this?
I ask because I don't know. I'm posting here so I do know.
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

ddd wrote:Has B.A.S.S, FLW, WWBT, WON, SAF etc etc etc spoken out against this?
Is the bass fishing/fresh water fishing community pushing hard against this?
I ask because I don't know. I'm posting here so I do know.
That's a problem that needs to be addressed ASAP, the angling/fishing communities have no local/national political representation. I'm not sure if there are any efforts to form a dedicated political body but something definitely needs to be done. We can ride Restore The Delta coat tails and give them monthly donations as they appear to have the same parallel concerns the anglers have and they make progress in stopping the pipes/tunnels.

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
Andy Lippert

Post by Andy Lippert »

I attended the latest meeting last week, and it was sick sitting there listening and watching these pompous pr*cks talk like they did. There's only one guy out of 6+ "Delta Stewardship Council" members that were there that actually gave a crap about anything parallel to our concerns (Skip Thomson) and it almost seems like he was appointed to the council as a pawn to "speak the word of the people", as in-vain as it may have been.

The rest are Moonbeam appointees with ties to So Cal and the a-holes that are making a killing off of our natural resource.

While numerous concerns, ie reverse flow, salinity levels, enviro impact to Delta "legacy" communities are addressed and mitigation measures are suggested to limit the effects in the Delta Waterfix Plan--there doesn't seem to be any forced adherence to lessen/mitigate these effects and look to only be mere suggestions to take into consideration when construction begins. As mentioned above, the report recognizes that there will be "significant negative impacts on delta legacy communities" yet the plan advances regardless.

The only way we can truly fight this is to organize as big of a group as possible, raise some major funds to get the word out, and bring the fight to them in the courts or ballot box.

The problem is, they have millions, maybe cumulatively billions of dollars at stake if this thing doesn't happen, and all we have is the expected loss/degradation of one of the greatest fisheries in the country. Hardly a level playing field.

We may be a day late and a buck short, but I previously thought that the ONLY chance we had at stopping this thing was to join up with enviro's and litigate it to death--but after this ESA endorsement, that seems to no longer be an option.

Someone needs to plant some endangered snails or newts where they plan to build...
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

ddd wrote:If anyone out there has a link to more petitions, where I can donate, where I can sit and protest, where I can friggn do something, please post it.
Restore the Delta is definitely fighting for the Delta ........ Perhaps sending them $25 instead of buying another swimbait might do some good........ there is a "Donate Today" tab on the following homepage.

http://www.restorethedelta.org/
monte300

Post by monte300 »

MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Amen: We need more voices like Congressman Garamendi
ddd

Post by ddd »

I realize people need water, all people deserve water and in no way am I asking these questions looking to depriving people of water. My motivation, to be honest, is mainly for my own personal needs. I need fishing.

Is there a flyer or some type of pamphlet that I can copy, print and hand out? Staple to telephone poles?

Which organizations can I write that would be the most impactful?
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

MichaelB wrote:
ddd wrote:If anyone out there has a link to more petitions, where I can donate, where I can sit and protest, where I can friggn do something, please post it.
Restore the Delta is definitely fighting for the Delta ........ Perhaps sending them $25 instead of buying another swimbait might do some good........ there is a "Donate Today" tab on the following homepage.

http://www.restorethedelta.org/
Mike's right. Restore the Delta is our best, most knowledgeable voice, and a donation to them will actually go toward fighting for all of us.
CLEAN AND DRY
ddd

Post by ddd »

i will donate and speak to others about making a donation.
Andy Lippert

Post by Andy Lippert »

Looks like the first suit has been filed--and as mentioned above, our only hope is to join with Enviro groups....
Attachments
IMG_1052.PNG
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

Time to break out the wallet and donate! Restore the Delta consists of ex-politicians, attorneys, farmers, anglers, business expertise and they have a plan to defeat this atrocity. Spread the word.

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
monte300

Post by monte300 »

That my friends is giving to a good cause.......
MasterBassinator

Post by MasterBassinator »

gabuelhaj wrote:Time to break out the wallet and donate! Restore the Delta consists of ex-politicians, attorneys, farmers, anglers, business expertise and they have a plan to defeat this atrocity. Spread the word.

Good luck!
Farmers? Those water hungry people are not for fishermen...
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

MasterBassinator wrote:
gabuelhaj wrote:Time to break out the wallet and donate! Restore the Delta consists of ex-politicians, attorneys, farmers, anglers, business expertise and they have a plan to defeat this atrocity. Spread the word.

Good luck!
Farmers? Those water hungry people are not for fishermen...
The farmers who are the threat to the Delta are the western San Joaquin Valley farmers.
The Delta farmers are against the Tunnels.
CLEAN AND DRY
ddd

Post by ddd »

Fished the delta today. This threat that these tunnels bring have definitely opened my eyes. There is a produce stand on nearly every corner, private farms everywhere. Every produce stand was packed with people buying local, supporting each other everyday. Not that I've never noticed, i feel different driving through now.
I caught NUMBERS today! Was sooo much fun but I also saw a lot of floaters, I've never seen that many floating fish ever. Idk if it's from all the tournaments or from pellets and spraying or from being shocked too hard(idk if that can happen)
Our delta bass have become an "in-danger" species. Not to sound like a cheerleader and I know fishing isn't really a team sport but come on guys, we can fight this a lot harder than we have. I'm as guilty as anyone of not doing enough but better late than never!!!!
Let's save the delta!!!!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

ddd wrote:Fished the delta today. This threat that these tunnels bring have definitely opened my eyes. There is a produce stand on nearly every corner, private farms everywhere. Every produce stand was packed with people buying local, supporting each other everyday. Not that I've never noticed, i feel different driving through now.
I caught NUMBERS today! Was sooo much fun but I also saw a lot of floaters, I've never seen that many floating fish ever. Idk if it's from all the tournaments or from pellets and spraying or from being shocked too hard(idk if that can happen)
Our delta bass have become an "in-danger" species. Not to sound like a cheerleader and I know fishing isn't really a team sport but come on guys, we can fight this a lot harder than we have. I'm as guilty as anyone of not doing enough but better late than never!!!!
Let's save the delta!!!!
They have been treating Sandmound Slough, and I see floaters near my dock. Eating poisoned plants can't be good for crawdads, and that can't be good for bass. I even saw a big bluegill floating.
CLEAN AND DRY
ddd

Post by ddd »

I fished Taylor, sandmound and franks. Inside the seawall is where I saw numerous floaters pushed into the pockets. Fish were biting though, nothing big but a ton or 2 and 3lbers. Not much boat traffic either.

Long live the delta!
micropterus

Post by micropterus »

ddd wrote:I fished Taylor, sandmound and franks. Inside the seawall is where I saw numerous floaters pushed into the pockets. Fish were biting though, nothing big but a ton or 2 and 3lbers. Not much boat traffic either.

Long live the delta!
Take some photos of these floaters and get a newspaper reporter involved. Come on guys ... start thinkin' here. Get resourceful!!
Have some fun out there .... Enjoy that time on the water !!
ddd

Post by ddd »

That's a good idea. I'll be out there next weekend and the next.
micropterus

Post by micropterus »

ddd wrote:That's a good idea. I'll be out there next weekend and the next.
NEXT WEEKEND?? TOO LATE!! Hey Mark, Why
Not walk out on your dock today and snap a few photos. You live on Sandmound!! Let's Go! Start a backlash campaign. The public news agencies are the way to go. Chronicle, Herald, etc. Contact the outdoors beat reporters. Fish shouldn't be gettin' killed off like this. Whatever chemicals they are using are way over the top. Public officials are in 'service positions' ... as in Public Service!! Use social media, create a smear campaign. Costs nothin' but time and effort.... Look how successful Tweets Chirps and all that stuff works on the national level. These guys HATE bad press.
micropterus

Post by micropterus »

Here's a preliminary list to start with:

SF Chronicle: Tom Stienstra tstienstra@sfchronical.com

Sacramento Bee: Dale Kasler & Ryan Sabalow
dkasler@sacbee.com

Dan's Delta Outdoors - Oakley CA 925-234-4694

River News-Herald - Rio Vista CA 707-374-6431

I live in SoCal and at this point a Cheerleader but willing to assist.

Build the case. Compile facts, dates, times, report what you see when out fishing. Take pictures.

If these folks prove to be unwilling to get involved, that should tell us something. However, the public agencies MUST respond to complaints, it's part of their job descriptions.
micropterus

Post by micropterus »

Here is what Cal Dept of Parks and Rec is doing:

https://www.parks.ca.gov/NewsRelease/729

Paragraph states that (paraphrasing here) ... 'Treated areas will be monitored weekly to ensure that herbicides are not negatively impacting the environment'

Well, if fish are floating ... Parks & Rec has a problem that they might be ignoring? The tone of this public notice seems to emphasize the proliferation of weed growth, no mention of impact on wildlife.

Looks as though I have hijacked this thread, but this IS a problem.

This problem needs to be brought to their attention.
micropterus

Post by micropterus »

Here's a good one:

California Department of Parks & Recreation

Angela Llaban
Senior Environmental Scientist (Specialist)
Floating Aquatic Vegetation
916-327-1859
Angela.Llaban@parks.ca.gov

I sent her an email regarding this issue. Do not hesitate to send yours as well. Include your photos.
Or give her a call.
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

I said this on another thread and I'll say it on this thread. I've seen more dead beavers in the past month than I've seen in the past 12 yrs fishing on the delta. You can't tell me that the herbicides have nothing to do with it. The beavers eat the wood and plants that are sprayed and in turn they get poisoned and die.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

micropterus wrote:
ddd wrote:That's a good idea. I'll be out there next weekend and the next.
NEXT WEEKEND?? TOO LATE!! Hey Mark, Why
Not walk out on your dock today and snap a few photos. You live on Sandmound!! Let's Go! Start a backlash campaign. The public news agencies are the way to go. Chronicle, Herald, etc. Contact the outdoors beat reporters. Fish shouldn't be gettin' killed off like this. Whatever chemicals they are using are way over the top. Public officials are in 'service positions' ... as in Public Service!! Use social media, create a smear campaign. Costs nothin' but time and effort.... Look how successful Tweets Chirps and all that stuff works on the national level. These guys HATE bad press.
I just came in off the dock, and the floaters are gone. Either the tide pulled them away, or the turtles ate them.
CLEAN AND DRY
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

185vsfrog wrote:I said this on another thread and I'll say it on this thread. I've seen more dead beavers in the past month than I've seen in the past 12 yrs fishing on the delta. You can't tell me that the herbicides have nothing to do with it. The beavers eat the wood and plants that are sprayed and in turn they get poisoned and die.
The beavers that were on the tulle island across from my dock haven't been around this year. Neither have the sea lions, at least since spring. But the otters are thick as thieves. I just finished raking a ton of their crap off my dock, and it was full of red crawdad parts, so my theory of the spraying/pellets killing off the crawdads is wrong.
CLEAN AND DRY
micropterus

Post by micropterus »

I'll continue to ride herd on the state agency people. I'm sure if asked everyone involved they would say 'just following orders' or 'just doing my job'. It's also possible that they are not aware of the problems they've created.
I'm expecting a canned response of 'herbicides we're using have been approved at the federal level'.
If anyone wants to send me photos and information on what you all are seeing out on the Delta, I'll pass them on to Fish and Game. This is a good start! Take your iPhones or cameras out with you. If you see something say something. Document it.

micropterus@sbcglobal.net
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

This is a good summary of where we stand in the fight against the Tunnels:
https://calmatters.org/articles/gov-jer ... main-iffy/
CLEAN AND DRY
micropterus

Post by micropterus »

Based on the treatment of the Trump administration by the ruling politicians in Sacramento, they should expect little or no help in the way of funding from Washington DC for these two projects. They will simply deny requests for grant funding. Also, you can throw in the adherence to Sanctuary City status by major California metropolises and the pay Windows will be slammed shut.
The state of Arizona since cancelling their Sanctuary City status has seen a 25% decline in their crime rate.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

micropterus wrote:Based on the treatment of the Trump administration by the ruling politicians in Sacramento, they should expect little or no help in the way of funding from Washington DC for these two projects. They will simply deny requests for grant funding. Also, you can throw in the adherence to Sanctuary City status by major California metropolises and the pay Windows will be slammed shut.
The state of Arizona since cancelling their Sanctuary City status has seen a 25% decline in their crime rate.
Man, I hope you're right, and the Feds are so pissed off they won't fund either project.
But I think Trump will give the big money Ag/Water people what they want, in spite of Jerry. Maybe they cut a deal when Jerry was in DC.
CLEAN AND DRY
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

micropterus wrote:Based on the treatment of the Trump administration by the ruling politicians in Sacramento, they should expect little or no help in the way of funding from Washington DC
Unfortunately micro you are not right...... Big Money interests headed by the Resnicks will hand over $100k donations to whoever will support their cause be them Republican or Democrat. Don't forget, Jerry Brown's concubines Nancy Pelosi and Diane Feinstein Enemies of the Delta are still in Washington. It is these two who spearheaded the "eradicate non-native species" federal legislation.