Frog Fishing

richdoe

Frog Fishing

Post by richdoe »

How are you guys rigging your frogs? I find that with braid the frog keeps flipping around and the hooks keep hanging up on the line. My solution has been tying on 20lb leader. But it doesn't make much sense to throw 65lb braid with only 20lb leader.
Freefall

Re: Frog Fishing

Post by Freefall »

I can say that I can't remember having that happen to me. What frog are you throwing?
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

What frogs are you throwing cause I've never had this problem with any of the frogs I've thrown throughout the many years on the Delta. NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER put a leader in front of a frog!!!! Some large topwater baits yes like spooks punkers and other walking type baits you can and I would also recommend to but never with frogs. What you can do is try taking a pair of pliers and bending the hook points in some (just a hair) and this should prevent the line from getting tangled under the hooks.
Bass boy dave

Post by Bass boy dave »

have never had this problem and I bend my hooks out. maybe your frogs are too light you can pop some bbs in the butt
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

sounds like you may be trying too hard to walk or pop your frog ?... better action happens ' when you give light subtle twitches!....
DDG

Post by DDG »

I've used a lot of different frog rods and honestly the best results I have ever had have been with the powell 736. hands down the best frog rod I have ever used. pair it with a high speed reel and 50lb strait p-line braid to a river to sea bully wa or snag proof phat frog, you are good to go, all the work to walking the dog is in the tip of the rod. keep a little slack in your line but not too much to be prepared for a blow up.

IMHO the better the rod you have to your liking is what will help you work that frog accordingly, I've gone through a lot of rods made for frogging, 6'6 to 7'6 and a 7'3 heavy action 6 power happens to be the best, I've honestly have only lost a very small number of fish since switching from a 7'6.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Try rubbing the first foot of your braid with beeswax. It stiffens the braid without affecting either it's buoyancy or it's strength. That's an old fly fishing trick.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
richdoe

Post by richdoe »

I'm using pretty much the same setup as you--Powell Frog Rod with a Phat Frog (hooks bent slightly outward). No problem
walking it, it's just on the cast where it comes back and hooks the line. 20lb leader solves that problem, but not crazy about 20lb leader tied to 65lb braid.

As a side note: I emailed Dean Rojas and he said he doesn't have that problem. He ties a Spro Frog directly to 80lb Sunline. He also bends the hooks on the Spro slightly outward.
DDG wrote:I've used a lot of different frog rods and honestly the best results I have ever had have been with the powell 736. hands down the best frog rod I have ever used. pair it with a high speed reel and 50lb strait p-line braid to a river to sea bully wa or snag proof phat frog, you are good to go, all the work to walking the dog is in the tip of the rod. keep a little slack in your line but not too much to be prepared for a blow up.
richdoe

Post by richdoe »

That's an interesting concept, I will have to give it a try.
mark poulson wrote:Try rubbing the first foot of your braid with beeswax. It stiffens the braid without affecting either it's buoyancy or it's strength. That's an old fly fishing trick.
DDG

Post by DDG »

richdoe wrote:I'm using pretty much the same setup as you--Powell Frog Rod with a Phat Frog (hooks bent slightly outward). No problem
walking it, it's just on the cast where it comes back and hooks the line. 20lb leader solves that problem, but not crazy about 20lb leader tied to 65lb braid.

As a side note: I emailed Dean Rojas and he said he doesn't have that problem. He ties a Spro Frog directly to 80lb Sunline. He also bends the hooks on the Spro slightly outward.
DDG wrote:I've used a lot of different frog rods and honestly the best results I have ever had have been with the powell 736. hands down the best frog rod I have ever used. pair it with a high speed reel and 50lb strait p-line braid to a river to sea bully wa or snag proof phat frog, you are good to go, all the work to walking the dog is in the tip of the rod. keep a little slack in your line but not too much to be prepared for a blow up.
I honestly would go to 50lb braid (if you feel comfortable) and not tie on a leader, i honestly hate leaders, i think its just another way of losing that fish of a life time. I think the best way to get good and learning how to walk to dog and fish the frog is practice. I honestly have gone down to the lake with just a frog to see what happens, i also practice casting in my front yard sometimes ;-) but thats just me. ive been fishing a frog since I was about 14 years old,I watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzQTP0H8eYM. then went down to walmart bought sum 50lb fireline braid and the original snag proof frog, the green one with frog legs, spooled up my pflueger supreme and berkley lightening Rod 7' heavy and thats all i fished that evening, i caught like close to 15lbs and 5lber, i was hooked to say the least.
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

Same as many others.. been throwing frogs for many years and only time I ever had a problem like that. I use 65lb Spiderwire and never have an issue. Maybe make sure the interior weight has not come loose, this is the only possible way I can think the frog could rotate goofy enough to swing around and grab the line. Is your frog rolling or tumbling off the water when it hits? Maybe that's the reason it's grabbing the hooks.. sounds really weird.
If you don't already do it, take a black sharpie marker and ink the line from the line tie up 3 plus feet. Run it back and forth several times and put a good cote on the line, hat could help a little as well. Give the line a little more weight and might provide a little more stiffness.

Good luck... I'd take that leader off though...
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
fishbonz412

Post by fishbonz412 »

2 other ideas for the frog hook getting the line: If the line comes off the spool really fast, especially if you "over cast" (like when you are about to overspool, birds-nest, or professional overun....), then it can catch up to or pass the frog, and maybe catch the hook that way, so check your reel settings. The other thing that can happen, especially if you are a lob caster, is that the frog submerges when it lands, pulling line down with it. When the frog resurfaces, and if the line is over it, then the frog hook may catch the line. This is more prevalent with spooks or other big floating baits with big treble hooks.
--Sometimes it is best to be quiet and be thought the fool than to speak out and remove all doubt---