Strike King's Patent Infringement at ICAST

WB Staff

Strike King's Patent Infringement at ICAST

Post by WB Staff »

Steve Parks marched across the show floor. The 10th-degree black belt and Strike King Lures designer was angry. Someone had infringed on his patent, he said—and under the bright lights of ICAST, he was going to confront the perpetrators.

“It happened the first day I was here,” Parks tells. “One of my buyer groups came up and told me that the Rage Tail Craw was in the New Product Showcase.”

Parks, who’s been manufacturing Rage Tail products with Strike King since 2006, knew that didn’t add up.

That’s when he decided to take action.,,

Complete story: http://fishingtackleretailer.com/patent ... ent-icast/
drew

Re: Strike King's Patent Infringement at ICAST

Post by drew »

Where was the patent infringement in this story? Copying a patented design is not infringment. Selling a patented design is. It sounded like they where showcasing their ability.
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

The legality also include making without permission as well as use which seems to be the case here.
Glenn Abuelhaj
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Strike king needs to go after the company that produce the injected mold of that bait that the other company making if the other company changes 25% of that current bait strike king got no case
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

The Fishing industry has alot of copy cats it's nothing new been going on for years. Patents or not
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

What does being a black belt have to do with any thing is that suppose to scare somebody. There also alot of people that carry concealed weapons now days also so now what. So what was this guy going to do body slam the other guy in the other booth. OK now what.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

I love Strike King baits but didnt they just copy Keitechs
drew

Post by drew »

Nothing wrong with making, making the mold or even using. As long as they are not directly profiting from the sale of. I have many patents and have been responsiable for several others. There is really no law that will prevent the use as well. A patent is a defensive tool it allows the owner/holder to sue if another company infringes.

I only bring this up because if one were to police their patent they would be arrested and sued. It just doesn't work the way that most think it does. SK could be liable for this. I'm not defending the Chinese company that was exhibiting just trying enlighten those that may go this route with a revolutionary concept. Also a patent does not give you the right to sit on a design without going to market. Can't hoard a design to keep it off of the market.
gabuelhaj wrote:The legality also include making without permission as well as use which seems to be the case here.
drew

Post by drew »

That is not exactly how it works. There are claims that define its revolutionary characteristics. If there are claims A,B,& C then you cannot manufacture/sell something similar with claims A,B,C & D. Essetially just adding something to make it different. However if you accomplish the same benefits with claims A & B it is not infringement. That is why when you patent something you want the fewest and most general claims.
jiggin4bass wrote:Strike king needs to go after the company that produce the injected mold of that bait that the other company making if the other company changes 25% of that current bait strike king got no case
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

I would think that the Wb staff didn't do there home work very well I would have ask the question why two baits with the same design showed up in the first. Don't the people at icast have some kind of policy that you have to check in your item you plan on displaying at your booths. I would blame icast officials on that one and again what does this story have to do with one guy being a black belt should have never come up in the story line . Hell I have a black belt it hold up my pants. So the two gentleman in question
couldn't have went to to and office and ask why the two baits showed up at the same time OK crack staff WB explain that one would you please. And don't send me a pm explain it in the forum.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

How about asking the person that wrote the story instead of WB staff?
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Sound to this guy from strike king was going over to cause trouble with his black belt what ever the hell he is why would you even bring that up in a story line what would happen if the other guy had Smith & Wesson who do you think would win there no place for putting the black belt story or the gun in any story li
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

[quote="jiggin4bass"]Sound to this guy from strike king was going over to cause trouble with his black belt what ever the hell he is why would you even bring that up in a story line what would happen if the other guy had Smith & Wesson who do you think would win there no place for putting the black belt story or the gun in any story line it should have never been put in the forum for
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
jiggin4bass

trike King's Patent Infringement at ICAST

Post by jiggin4bass »

If icast officials would have been doing there job from the outset you would be hearing about this story. I still can't see how that company got all those bait in that show without I cast officials not looking at there products.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Google puffball jig see what you come up with
I've been producing this jig since Nov 1985 til now.
Fishing frugal lures has tried to build the same jig calling it the puffy jigs there idea came from my jig also skinny bear signature jig again also don ivino star burst jig which I named one of my other jigs I build and have built since 1985 also keeper worm also tried to build there style of the puffball jig didn't workout for them either but I'm not going to go running around telling company's how to build that lure there one person that builds that jigs right way in round rubber or in silicone rubber or even in fine rubber and that person would be me I could show those company's one trick on tying the jigs and they would triple there business with that one style of jig if I started my business back up again I would bring back 90% of my customers on just that one jig but I'm not going to get butt hurt because somebody coped something I started years ago That why the guy from strike king needs to get over it the OME injected mold to make the lure from all these company's float around freely there alot of company's that make those bait molds Del-Mart Molds comes to mine. They can reproduce just about any bait mold on the market
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

He may have won the battle and not win the war. :?
Glenn Abuelhaj
WRB

Post by WRB »

A patent is worthless unless litigated. 1st step is a letter from Strike King to cease making the product, then infringement damages or a license agreement is next step.
The real problem comes if the product is made in a country that doesn't recognize patents, the only damages then come from whomever sells or markets the product in the USA or member counties the patent was filed in. Patents are only good for 17 years from date of patent or 20 years from the initial application or disclosure date.
There is a lot of homemade hand injected molded copies of the Rage Tail patent, Strike King must go after each and every person who makes, sells or distributes those copied products.
Can't see where ICAST has any responsibility in any patent infringement.
Tom
mike at robo

Post by mike at robo »

Strike King ..... aka Kietech ..... get over yourself .
drew

Post by drew »

Manufacturing is not infringement. You need to brush up on your patent law.
WRB wrote:A patent is worthless unless litigated. 1st step is a letter from Strike King to cease making the product, then infringement damages or a license agreement is next step.
The real problem comes if the product is made in a country that doesn't recognize patents, the only damages then come from whomever sells or markets the product in the USA or member counties the patent was filed in. Patents are only good for 17 years from date of patent or 20 years from the initial application or disclosure date.
There is a lot of homemade hand injected molded copies of the Rage Tail patent, Strike King must go after each and every person who makes, sells or distributes those copied products.
Tom
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Bottom line is Strike King would spend a ton of money and they would still lose there case. There going to copy these baits from them zoom and zman or any of those big company's they just need to get over it. Look at all the jig companys that copy each other and the hand poured worm company's that copy each other it's been going for years there not crying about it. That one reason I use yamamoto baits in my jig fishing you can't beat there products. Strike king needs to get over it.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

jiggin4bass wrote:Bottom line is Strike King would spend a ton of money and they would still lose there case. There going to copy these baits from them zoom and zman or any of those big company's they just need to get over it. Look at all the jig companys that copy each other and the hand poured worm company's that copy each other it's been going for years there not crying about it. That one reason I use yamamoto baits in my jig fishing you can't beat there products. Strike king needs to get over it.
Or use this to introduce a new line of Black Belt plastics, "the baits that kick butt". :lol:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

:lol:
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

I would think that the Wb staff didn't do there home work very well I would have ask the question why two baits with the same design showed up in the first. Don't the people at icast have some kind of policy that you have to check in your item you plan on displaying at your booths. I would blame icast officials on that one and again what does this story have to do with one guy being a black belt should have never come up in the story line . Hell I have a black belt it hold up my pants. So the two gentleman in question
couldn't have went to to and office and ask why the two baits showed up at the same time OK crack staff WB explain that one would you please. And don't send me a pm explain it in the forum.
@jiggin

The article wasn't written by WB Staff. It was a news story from ICAST that WB staff posted. You can find out more info on the story at the link in the original post.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

So being a black belt is suppose to mean something to the other person he confronting. I'm sure that it not going to stop the other company from making the molds that are knock offs of the baits all these company's make. The company can make the very same design bait molds of any company out there as long as they don't produce the bait themself's they can market and sell the molds with no restrictions Do it mold company does the that very thing currently in there catalog. They even post a warning to manufactures that buy certain molds. Like I said the guy from strike king will need to get over it because that company going to keep making there product that producing the baits he have to go after every mold producing company and I'm sure strike king hasn't got the resources to do that this isn't the first time this has happen and won't be the last time either.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
WRB

Post by WRB »

drew wrote:Manufacturing is not infringement. You need to brush up on your patent law.
WRB wrote:A patent is worthless unless litigated. 1st step is a letter from Strike King to cease making the product, then infringement damages or a license agreement is next step.
Tom
It is if you manufacture and and sell a patented product. You can copy anything you want as long as it's not patent protected. Very few fishing lures have patents, Chatter Bait was patented and trade name protected, the reason everyone who copied the original blade design got stop and decease letters. Most lure makers either paid a royalty or changed the blade design so it no longer infringed.
I am retired now, but worked for a manufacturer that sued for infringement of several of my patented products and won. It is an expensive and time consuming ordeal to protect patents.
If you are not willing to spend the money to sue for infringement then no reason to waste money, time and effort to get a patent.
Tom
drew

Post by drew »

WRB wrote: It is if you manufacture and and sell a patented product.
This would be infringement. Key word is sell.

You need to get this right because it is unfare to the readers who are inclined to manufacture a patented product for their own use and not to sell. I personally own patents and have defended them. The patent owner has the right to sue and could be awarded up to 50% of the gross income generated from the sale of their designs. No sale no sue. Just that simple.
WRB wrote: you can copy anything you want as long as it's not patent protected.
Incorrect. You can make as many chatterbaits as you want. Just don"t sell them.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Drew you are splitting hairs, only damages comes from whomever sells or markets patent products your point, but it doesn't apply to the subject of lure companies copying SK Rage Tail products.
Tom
drew

Post by drew »

Splitting hairs. Seriously? This is very important and your claims are wrong. I do not want the average person to beleive they cannot go and pour their own plastics or make lures for their own use regardless if it is patened or not. We legally can and people need to have the correct information.

They can copy,,,, they just can't sell.

WRB wrote:Drew you are splitting hairs, only damages comes from whomever sells or markets patent products your point, but it doesn't apply to the subject of lure companies copying SK Rage Tail products.
Tom
WRB

Post by WRB »

Drew, the post is about Steve Parks at ICAST trying to protect his patent, you don't go there to show home poured products not for sale.
If your point is anyone can make whatever they want as long as they don't offer for sale...you are correct!
Peace.
Tom