help on lowarance gen 3 true or not

Moderators: Mike M, Caudawg, Cooch, ash, Ken Sauret

GEORGE D.
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:31 pm

help on lowarance gen 3 true or not

Postby GEORGE D. » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:12 pm

hi I read on a post saying if you are in your boat in the garage setting your units you only have 5 minutes to play around with them before you ruin your transducer because he said they are out of the water is that true thank you still all new to this George o I forgot to ask is their a time frame to be playing around with the units in the garage

User avatar
Edd
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:08 pm

Re: help on lowarance gen 3 true or not

Postby Edd » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:27 am

This is one of 'those' questions that can have many answers.

So, you can run the OEM transducers out of water for quite a while without damage, but, if something should happen, there may not be any warranty. Running out of water will not hurt the MFD in any way. High wattage transducers such as Airmar products should NEVER be run out of water.
Heat is the bad guy here. One thing you can do with transom mounted ducers is wrap a soaking wet towel around it while you are making adjustments. With thru-hull (not shoot thru) transducers you can run cool water over the face while you tinker.
Pro-Staff: Lowrance Electronics
Pro-Staff: Scotty Fishing Products
Pro-Staff: Mack's Lure/Shasta Tackle
Pro-Staff: SHARK Cannonballs
Pro-Staff: Water Wolf HD Cameras
Ambassador for Pro Cure Bait Scents

mark poulson
Posts: 8703
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 4:16 am
Location: Oakley, Ca.

Re: help on lowarance gen 3 true or not

Postby mark poulson » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:30 pm

Edd wrote:This is one of 'those' questions that can have many answers.

So, you can run the OEM transducers out of water for quite a while without damage, but, if something should happen, there may not be any warranty. Running out of water will not hurt the MFD in any way. High wattage transducers such as Airmar products should NEVER be run out of water.
Heat is the bad guy here. One thing you can do with transom mounted ducers is wrap a soaking wet towel around it while you are making adjustments. With thru-hull (not shoot thru) transducers you can run cool water over the face while you tinker.


Does this mean you shouldn't turn on your electronics in the parking lot before you launch?
How long will it take to overheat the transducer?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY

User avatar
Edd
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:08 pm

Re: help on lowarance gen 3 true or not

Postby Edd » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:44 am

mark poulson wrote:
Edd wrote:This is one of 'those' questions that can have many answers.

So, you can run the OEM transducers out of water for quite a while without damage, but, if something should happen, there may not be any warranty. Running out of water will not hurt the MFD in any way. High wattage transducers such as Airmar products should NEVER be run out of water.
Heat is the bad guy here. One thing you can do with transom mounted ducers is wrap a soaking wet towel around it while you are making adjustments. With thru-hull (not shoot thru) transducers you can run cool water over the face while you tinker.


Does this mean you shouldn't turn on your electronics in the parking lot before you launch?
How long will it take to overheat the transducer?


Some MFD's are a bit sluggish when starting for the first time of the day. If you want to turn your units ON in the parking lot (?) then simply put it on a chart page. Should you run sonar in the parking lot? No.
Pro-Staff: Lowrance Electronics
Pro-Staff: Scotty Fishing Products
Pro-Staff: Mack's Lure/Shasta Tackle
Pro-Staff: SHARK Cannonballs
Pro-Staff: Water Wolf HD Cameras
Ambassador for Pro Cure Bait Scents

mark poulson
Posts: 8703
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 4:16 am
Location: Oakley, Ca.

Re: help on lowarance gen 3 true or not

Postby mark poulson » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:47 pm

Edd wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Edd wrote:This is one of 'those' questions that can have many answers.

So, you can run the OEM transducers out of water for quite a while without damage, but, if something should happen, there may not be any warranty. Running out of water will not hurt the MFD in any way. High wattage transducers such as Airmar products should NEVER be run out of water.
Heat is the bad guy here. One thing you can do with transom mounted ducers is wrap a soaking wet towel around it while you are making adjustments. With thru-hull (not shoot thru) transducers you can run cool water over the face while you tinker.


Does this mean you shouldn't turn on your electronics in the parking lot before you launch?
How long will it take to overheat the transducer?


Some MFD's are a bit sluggish when starting for the first time of the day. If you want to turn your units ON in the parking lot (?) then simply put it on a chart page. Should you run sonar in the parking lot? No.


Thanks. I'll quit starting it up in the parking lot.
Attitude plus effort equal success

CLEAN AND DRY

NoCAL
Posts: 515
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:20 pm
Location: Woodland, CA

Re: help on lowarance gen 3 true or not

Postby NoCAL » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:13 am

Wait, that is not what Edd is saying. A standard 2D transducer will not heat up sufficiently to ruin it while sitting in the parking lot. You should not run a high wattage Airmar transducer as it needs water to keep it cool. Playing with settings in the garage is one way to get good with your units and you should experiment. It will not hurt your transducer.

NoCAL

GEORGE D.
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:31 pm

Re: help on lowarance gen 3 true or not

Postby GEORGE D. » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:20 am

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP


Return to “Lowrance Product Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest