2 wheel drive on a gravel launch?

Paul W

2 wheel drive on a gravel launch?

Post by Paul W »

Hey all,

I've been out of a boat for quite some time now, but would sure like to get another one within the next year or so. The two trucks I've owned -- a Tacoma and now a GMC Sierra -- have both been 2wd with open rear differentials. I've always run aftermarket tires and pulled my boats out of the water slow and easy....never any trouble whatsoever at PAVED freshwater or saltwater ramps, even some pretty slick ones at low tide. My buddy has the exact same truck as me (also with an open rear diff and aftermarket tires) and once we easily pulled his Ranger Z20 out of a pretty broken/loose launch ramp at Lake Chickamauga. We also launched and recovered with the same rig once at Lake Oroville at the spillway when the water was real low....it was a long time ago and that may have actually been gravel (cant remember), but the boat came out with no problem there either.

I'd like to treat myself to a new truck within the next few months but would prefer to stick with 2wd for the cost, simplicity, and because the only offroading I do is driving on tame gravel roads. I'd definitely get a locking rear differential this time and would put on some 275 or 285 Terra Grappler G2's or similar quality all-terrain tires. I know the super-low water levels in CA last year meant many concrete ramps were out of the water....even though 4wd was mandated on some low water ramps, anyone try pulling their boats out of ramps like that in 2wd? Are most of those low water ramps at least groomed and hard packed, or can they often get all muddy and messed up? My next boat would likely be something like an 18' aluminum with a total package weight (I'm guessing) of no more than 2,700lbs.

Thanks for any insight! 8)

Paul
Whoopbass

Re: 2 wheel drive on a gravel launch?

Post by Whoopbass »

Every gravel ramp will be different so you would need to make sure you know what type you're launching into. If the launch is steep then I wouldn't do it. A ramp with a moderate slope and hard bottom you shouldn't have a problem.
The ramp could also have a drop that you can't see and your trailer could get hung up on the lip making it difficult to get out.
When I have launched in gravel ramps I made sure the rear wheels of my truck did not go too far in the water because it can get soft after a foot or two of water. Inspecting the bottom by wading out with bare feet is the best way to check the bottom composition.
If your tires start spinning you better be careful and not dig in. Have whoever with you get in the bed of your truck and tell them to start bouncing the bed up and down while you slowly pull out.
Pack a rope and maybe a shovel with you.
Now I don't know about ramps with slime on them. There is a video on Youtube what looks to be the 5th st ramp at Clear lake that claimed a brand new Chevy truck. I think the guy said the truck was in park with the E brake on and the truck just started sliding into the water. I don't think he was in it at the time. The truck appears to be a 4WD but that doesn't matter if you're not in it. From now on if there's slime on the ramp at Clear Lake i'm putting my truck in 4WD.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

The whole question is gonna be related to how steep the ramp is. I used to use a 2-wheel drive Silverado and only had 1 issue 1 time, but I made sure that never happened again. Until I purchased a new 4-wheel drive, I would put 300# of sand bags BEHIND the wheels in the bed. Most of the problem is the lack of traction so more weight = more traction. Then just take it slow. Side note, I've seen a few instances on steep frozen concrete ramps such as Barrett South on McClure where even the 4 wheel drives were having a problem due to light weight on the rear axle.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
Old1nCal

Post by Old1nCal »

I just leased a 2017 Ford F150 eco-boost model V6 2.7 liter 4x2 325hp. Aside from the mileage about 27-30 mpg on the freeway to 18 city it also has a switch on the dash that will move the differential to lock both rear wheels in to 100% transfer power. Very cool feature. pulls my boat just fine and love the mileage
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

A tacoma prerunner with a locking rear diff will have no problem with that....I towed a 19' Ranger with my 2wd Taco for years and never once had an issue
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Do they still call that positraction? That was the must have rear end for drag racing, back in the 60's.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Had a 1 ton dodge, I kept 1,500 lbs. of bagged cement in the back made it ride better and really helped traction and bagged cement is about the cheapest thing going
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Rod Martin wrote:Had a 1 ton dodge, I kept 1,500 lbs. of bagged cement in the back made it ride better and really helped traction and bagged cement is about the cheapest thing going
Knowing you, I'm surprised you didn't use sand bags! :wink:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

mark poulson wrote:
Rod Martin wrote:Had a 1 ton dodge, I kept 1,500 lbs. of bagged cement in the back made it ride better and really helped traction and bagged cement is about the cheapest thing going
Now, now, Mark...are you trying to say that Rod is a sandbagger? :lol:
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Stratos278 wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Now, now, Mark...are you trying to say that Rod is a sandbagger? :lol:

LOL
I think he's saying since I have a hurricane coming over me I should be using sandbags :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I would but I don't have any. Got the windows boarded up and RV parked in front of the garage door but no sand bags :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope :shock:
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

In all seriousness, Rod, I hope Irene treats you nice. My part of Texas dodged a bullet from Harvey when it started north out of Houston then turned and followed I-10
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
bustout

Post by bustout »

All it takes is 1 time and you will wish you had a 4 wheel drive.
I used a 2wd for many years and after the 1st time I got stuck, immediatly got rid of 2wd and went w 4wd.
For me that little gas savings (1-2 mpg) is not worth getting stuck and depending on someone else to tow you out.
Go 4wd now and you wont regret it
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

My Toyota has a button to lock the diff, it works great perfect for a 2x4 when you need to get a lil extra to the drive train. IMHO, its no 4x4 but for ramps it works great.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
WRB

Post by WRB »

Gravel isn't the problem, mud is! I haven't ever owned a 4 wheel drive tow vehicle and it sounds like the op knows how to pull a boat trailer as long as it' doesn't get stuck in the mud or it's isn't raining on a dirt ramp. You need to be careful with steel plate ramps and keep all the tires on the plates, including to trailer tires.
Tom
TonyM

Post by TonyM »

You ask about using a 2wd on a low water ramp where 4wd is mandated? Even if you don't get stuck and block the ramp, you'll end up digging trenches that those who are following the rules will then have to deal with. Seems simple to me. Get a 4wd or don't use ramps where 4wd is mandated.