Talons or Power Poles

bass343

Talons or Power Poles

Post by bass343 »

Hello fellow weekend and tournament fisher-of-men,

This question is directed to you Talon and Power Pole owners out there. I'm thinking of getting anchors for my Legend V20 for sallow and bed fishing next season. What do you guys recommend? What are the pros vs cons? I would actually like to hear from people that went from Talon to Power Poles or Power Poles to Talons. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan
Wrknap

Re: Talons or Power Poles

Post by Wrknap »

Search talons or power poles, age old question.
To be brief, Hydraulic vs electric, extending out vs straight down, I'm sure you see more comments and thoughts after searching. I wish I could afford either one! :lol:
Good luck!
basshol

Post by basshol »

Power poles have hydraulic tanks in your boat talons electric shoot straight down way less whichever one you pick whatever fits for you for me too I like talons better my buddy he likes power poles they both work fine go to the local dealer try them d both out
Popper

Post by Popper »

Talons:
Pros:
-electric drive (Talons) verse hydraulic pumps (PP)
-Anchors straight down eliminating space constriants in tight places.
-Optional 12 feet verses 10 feet for Power Poles

Cons:
-Extensive bracketry/more parts to support anchoring mechanism and orientation to fit transom verses Power Poles.
-More parts translate to more weight and affects boat handling.
-deploy and stowing anchors pick up particles in the mechanism requiring maintenance.

Power Pro:
Pros:
-Quiet when deployed
-Lighter than Talons
-Less brackets/parts to support anchoring mechanism.
-Thiner profile

Cons:
-Deployment of anchoring system is based on extension outward making potentially difficult in tight places.
rare cases but it could occur

-Hydraulic system over an electric motor drive.

Both brands are good anchoring systems, but I prefer Power Poles because of weight, simplier bracket design and less parts to support the over all system.
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

One more key difference, I like the Talons better because you can remove them when you don't need them...which is most of the time.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

What are the actual weight differences between the two, including brackets, pumps, and all other components, using a 10' anchoring system for comparison?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

I have one power pole. Two would be nice, but one does pretty darn good. When your on shallow schooling fish it makes life SO easy. You can cull, retie, and just focus on fishing instead of boat position.

As stated, pros and cons for each. I like that with the power pole i can lower it on the fly(half way down) and slip under a low dock without the top end of the pole hitting. Also I can lower on the fly when I get home from fishing and back it into my garage. Clear the header then raise it back up, and your good to go. Talons have the entire pole rotate down, but this is done manually, not by remote.

There is more to weight then just overall weight. Talons are heavy towards the top of the pole and hole shot will suffer more.