Trim not working

Share vehicle info.
conboss722

Trim not working

Post by conboss722 »

A few days ago the trim on my 2001 Ranger motor (Mercury 200 EFI) and the trim switch on my throttle stopped working. However, the trim on my deck will work. I have checked fuses in boat, replaced battery and checked solenoids. Anyone have any suggestions of what to check to help me track down the issue?
Bassfishman

Re: Trim not working

Post by Bassfishman »

I’ve got a 200HP Evinrude and had similar problems. For me the trim would stop working and if I turned the engine off it wouldn’t restart. The 10 amp inline fuse kept blowing. If I replaced the fuse I could restart but it would blow again and the tilt wouldn’t operate.
Mine was traced to 2 problems - the tilt relay unit was shorting internally and the wire harness to the tilt motor was also shorting. Troubleshooting was expensive. Good luck.
I know mine is a different engine but it might give you a starting place to look.
Ifishalot

Post by Ifishalot »

I have the same motor year and everything. I have had this same issue as you. I would have to pull the cowling off and tap the solenoids to get it working. Then the trim motor went out all together (1500.00) later everything works great. Hope you get luckier than me.
Weso

Post by Weso »

On my ocean boat I had it had three wires to the throttle Blue green and red I believe. Try by passing the switch blue and red together should make engine go up. green and red to exc. If it works it's the switch.