Big Smallmouth

ttb31183

Big Smallmouth

Post by ttb31183 »

Right now is my favorite time of year to be living in the Pacific Northwest. The weather is getting colder, half of the fisherman are out hunting, no pleasure boats and the smallmouth are chewing. I went out Friday and had two over 5lbs almost back to back from the same small underwater point. Its like clockwork each fall as the fish start to move to deeper water; find the perch and find the bass. You can see the small point here in this pic.

This time of year you can get by with two different techniques; a drop-shot and swimbait. In fact, I had three of each rigged up and that's all I used. Different size swimbaits and different head sizes as well as small and large drop-shot baits with different weights. That's how I caught these two, a 5.09 and 5.22lb fish. One came on a drop-shot and the other on a swimbait a few minutes later on the exact same spot.

I'm looking forward to getting back out there. The fishing will get better and better until mid-November before it gets too cold and I have to store the boat or switch to walleye fishing.
Tyler Brinks
milehi

Re: Big Smallmouth

Post by milehi »

You on the eastern side?
ttb31183

Post by ttb31183 »

milehi wrote:You on the eastern side?
Yep, Spokane
Tyler Brinks
milehi

Post by milehi »

Should have seen that. So the lakes freeze over? Curious way you quit smallmouth fishing
ttb31183

Post by ttb31183 »

milehi wrote:Should have seen that. So the lakes freeze over? Curious way you quit smallmouth fishing
Yep, all of the smaller lakes freeze over. The bigger ones just freeze in bays. Really the biggest issue is finding somewhere to launch on alot of them when there is snow everywhere.
Tyler Brinks