Duck Hunting "Right of Way" ?

MichaelB

Duck Hunting "Right of Way" ?

Post by MichaelB »

I'm sure this post will trigger a sh*tstorm, but with opening day of duck season on the Delta ..... I have some questions.
Should duck hunters in a floating blind expect fisherman in boats to automatically stay 300-400 yards away to avoid getting sprayed with pellets?
Should that same fisherman be concerned if they are 400-500 yards away that we are affecting the flight of incoming ducks?
Spoke with a couple of duck hunters this afternoon (off the water) who believe that with duck season upon us, they automatically have the right of way and it is the fisherman..... or any other vessel that needs to stay away.
I understand that duck hunters have the right to enjoy their sport ..... in a safe manner. I also understand that the the fisherman has an obligation to stay out of their way, while at the same time the duck hunter, the party with the shotgun, has the duty and obligation not to shoot at or towards a guy fishing because a duck has flown between the parties. Nothing happened today..... and I'm sure the overwhelming majority of duck hunters are aware of their surroundings and the obligation to hunt safely.... but in my mind, a guy fishing has as much right to fish the water as a guy has to hunt.
Dek

Re: Duck Hunting "Right of Way" ?

Post by Dek »

Well, as a duck hunter and a fisherman, I thought I would post a reply. I do not hunt the Delta, but I have hunted plenty out of a boat. First thing I would say is do your best to be appreciative of the other guy and the fun he is trying to have. The guy set up hunting has much less flexability than the fisherman. Way more places to catch a fish than there are effective places to set up for a duck hunt. It is impossible to decoy ducks with a fisherman, or any other boat close by. If your thought is, screw him I got every right to be here, then don't get mad at the wake boarder that blows up the bank you are workng with monster waves, cuz he thinks the same thing. Zero difference. I would also imagine most of the hunting on a bluebird day is over pretty early in the AM, so a fisherman has the rest of the day to circle back and fish wherever.
steve0806

Post by steve0806 »

Dek wrote:Well, as a duck hunter and a fisherman, I thought I would post a reply. I do not hunt the Delta, but I have hunted plenty out of a boat. First thing I would say is do your best to be appreciative of the other guy and the fun he is trying to have. The guy set up hunting has much less flexability than the fisherman. Way more places to catch a fish than there are effective places to set up for a duck hunt. It is impossible to decoy ducks with a fisherman, or any other boat close by. If your thought is, screw him I got every right to be here, then don't get mad at the wake boarder that blows up the bank you are workng with monster waves, cuz he thinks the same thing. Zero difference. I would also imagine most of the hunting on a bluebird day is over pretty early in the AM, so a fisherman has the rest of the day to circle back and fish wherever.
Completely agree with this statement! Everyone needs to have some respect for the other guy.
Tarpon120

Post by Tarpon120 »

I agree with giving the hunters a wide berth and I try to respect their space. The problem I have is with guys who set up on points in line with major travel lanes. If you set up in areas like this you are guaranteed to cross paths with others.

Was out in big break Saturday and some azzwipe sprayed me with pellets. I didn't even know the guy was there until the shots went off. Thanks buddy. Maybe give me a couple flashes with a light or some form of heads-up and I will gladly pass you up. Hope to see you again soon.
Bassfishman

Post by Bassfishman »

Funny story ... many years ago when I was a newbe to the Delta my son and I were heading out across Franks Tract early one morning to fish. He was about 12. I let him drive the boat (my old alum Lund with a small motor) and I was tying hooks and setting up the gear. He said to me "hey Dad it looks like there are ducks in the water up there" and I replied "dont worry they will fly away, keep heading towards our spot".

Well as we got closer to the ducks there was a bunch of screaming and yelling from a blind. I killed the motor to slow down but my then we had basically driven through some guys spread of decoys. If my son hadnt been in the boat Im sure they would have shot me.

Like I said we were new to the Delta and actually I didnt realize those were duck blinds with hunters in there. So for you new guys those things that look like tule islands in the middle of Franks Tract this time of year - they are really duck blinds. I now give a wide berth to them now that I know. Im ok with yielding to the hunters.
Kyle46N

Post by Kyle46N »

Fishing for 27 years throughout the south and on many waters with duck hunters, this is a topic I've seen many times over. I agree with some of the opinions already shared. As a fisherman, the "right" thing to do is give way to a duck hunter. He or she has set up shop and put all their marbles in one basket so to speak, on the other hand, I can go fish anywhere. I equate a duck hunter to a bank or pier fisherman. I'm a complete prick if I insist on fishing right in front of them out of my boat. With that said, the duck hunter has a gun. I find it hard to believe that the law doesn't require them to be responsible for where their bullets or shot land, or who they harm. It's the law of the land in every other situation for a gun owner. So, with that said, I always do my best to stay out of their way, but in the event I screw up and get too close, IF I get threated with a gun, I'm calling law enforcement. The key is threatened with the gun. Yelling and cussing verses yelling and cussing with a gun pointed at me are two different things. Unfortunately I've been in the situation where I unknowingly came within "range" of their hunting area, and was threated with the gun.
Jerred A Jennings

Post by Jerred A Jennings »

I would avoid running through franks tract this time of year. I would suggest going around. I do this as a curtesy to the hunters this time of year tournament or not go around.
That pretty much goes for any submerged islands through out the Delta (Prime hunting spots).
I used to duck hunt years ago and there's a lot preparation and money spent to shoot at these birds.
To have someone pull up close and start hucking a bait at or around the decoy spread Is a pure disrespect and you will feel it's wrong as your doing It. There were rumors a while back about duck hunters putting hazards through out Sherman to stop bass guys from running around lol.
If the blind Is unoccupied go for It. Once the hunters show up leave.
There's plenty of water to fish out there.
If you have to be In the area because that's your honey hole keep your distance and be respectful.
If a hunter shoots at you call the Sheriff it's not worth a prison sentence for shooting back or getting hurt or killed. If It's foggy I would stay out of the area completely if a hunter does not see you they might shoot towards you unintentionally.
Good luck and stay safe.
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

The blinds in Franks are required to have flashing lights on them .
When there is hunters in them the lights will be gone .
If the lights are still up you can fish around them.
Had a few run ins with hunters over the years i lived down there but never with the franks tract hunters.
Dave
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

Tarpon120 wrote:I agree with giving the hunters a wide berth and I try to respect their space. The problem I have is with guys who set up on points in line with major travel lanes. If you set up in areas like this you are guaranteed to cross paths with others.

Was out in big break Saturday and some azzwipe sprayed me with pellets. I didn't even know the guy was there until the shots went off. Thanks buddy. Maybe give me a couple flashes with a light or some form of heads-up and I will gladly pass you up. Hope to see you again soon.
If you couldn't see him, he may nothave been able to see you....

I'm a life long duck hunter and I do hunt the D religiously from a boat and have had plenty of fisherman ruin hunts & oppertunity for me over the years. It's unavoidable, much like controlling the wake boarders wake. The channels are narrow and there's limited space in a lot areas so it's inevitable that hunters and fisherman will cross paths.

As a fellow fisherman I respect everyone's right to enjoy their sport on the water. I give hunters and fellow fisherman they're space and respect. Like others have said, the hunters can't just hit the trolling motor and move. It takes hours of preparation to get set up correctly. I'm usually on the water before 3AM. So you'll have to understand why those guys may get frustrated if your fishing within the area theyare hunting.

The blinds on franks are paid for and are done yearly by the state. The hunters shell out thousands for what you see there. You wouldn't want me running a nud motor over your mat, give them some room, 3-400 yards. So use some common sense and respect and everyone will have a good day.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....