How best to test smoothness of a spinning reel??

shimanoangler

How best to test smoothness of a spinning reel??

Post by shimanoangler »

Should a brand new spinning reel out of the box spin freely when you turn the handle? By this I mean should you be able to crank the handle firmly and have the reel turn over multiple times, ie more than two or three? I just purchased a new Okuma RTX online and when I took it out of the box, the retrieve, when turning the handle, feels VERY stiff. When I "spin" the handle, it may revolve once, one and a half times max. Is that normal? My shimanos will turn 4 times easy when you crank the handle, with no stiff feeling what so ever.. I am not sure if this is the measure of a reel's smoothness or not.  The Okuma RTX (which I read has been compared to the Ci4) I just received feels so much stiffer than my other reels.  It is smooth with you turn the handle, ie no grinding, no gear mashing, no negative feedback other than just a firmer starting inertia than my other reels.  Just curious if I should send it back under the notion that there is something not right with the reel? I would appreciate any feedback on this topic.  Thank you.
Kyle46N

Re: How best to test smoothness of a spinning reel??

Post by Kyle46N »

I've had two RTX's for going on 3 years now, and don't have any issues like you describe. I'm not sure I could get the handle to spin on it's own 4 times, but they definitely are not hard to reel. They are the lightest, smoothest reel I've owned, and have held up excellent. Maybe this one came under lubed from the factory?
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Sounds like the handle screw may be over tightened. Remove it and re-install it. Also, try taking the spool off and see if it spins freely. Check the tightness of the nut that holds the spool body to the reel. Or, it may just need some JetFuel on the gears. I have all Shimano and they spin very freely.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
shimanoangler

Post by shimanoangler »

Kyle46N wrote:I've had two RTX's for going on 3 years now, and don't have any issues like you describe. I'm not sure I could get the handle to spin on it's own 4 times, but they definitely are not hard to reel. They are the lightest, smoothest reel I've owned, and have held up excellent. Maybe this one came under lubed from the factory?
That is good to know/hear. What size reels to do you have? I purchased the 25s and I think I am going to order a 30s. The 25s has decent line capacity, but feels a tadbit small, although it has a pretty significant amount of drag, ie believe its 13 lbs. The reel feels really nice in my hands and it looks pretty sharp too. Its extremely light and think it will pair nicely with one of my drop shot rod.

I have been bouncing back and forth between one of these and a Pflueger Supreme or Patriarch. Just received a Patriarch XT and it is unbelievably light. Can't have too many reels. Thanks again for your feedback and experience the Okuma RTX line of reels.
shimanoangler

Post by shimanoangler »

Mitch wrote:Sounds like the handle screw may be over tightened. Remove it and re-install it. Also, try taking the spool off and see if it spins freely. Check the tightness of the nut that holds the spool body to the reel. Or, it may just need some JetFuel on the gears. I have all Shimano and they spin very freely.
I tried this and you may be on to something. I loosened the handle screw and took the spool off and put it back on with less drag pressure and it seemed to spin a tadbit more freely. I am pretty sure there is nothing wrong with the reel and what it really needs is some lubricant / grease. Thank you for the feedback and reply. Much appreciated.
Kyle46N

Post by Kyle46N »

shimanoangler wrote:
Kyle46N wrote:I've had two RTX's for going on 3 years now, and don't have any issues like you describe. I'm not sure I could get the handle to spin on it's own 4 times, but they definitely are not hard to reel. They are the lightest, smoothest reel I've owned, and have held up excellent. Maybe this one came under lubed from the factory?
That is good to know/hear. What size reels to do you have? I purchased the 25s and I think I am going to order a 30s. The 25s has decent line capacity, but feels a tadbit small, although it has a pretty significant amount of drag, ie believe its 13 lbs. The reel feels really nice in my hands and it looks pretty sharp too. Its extremely light and think it will pair nicely with one of my drop shot rod.

I have been bouncing back and forth between one of these and a Pflueger Supreme or Patriarch. Just received a Patriarch XT and it is unbelievably light. Can't have too many reels. Thanks again for your feedback and experience the Okuma RTX line of reels.
I have the 25's, and like you mention, use them for drop shot and light shaky heads. Funny you mention the Supreme's....I have/had 4 of those from about 5 years ago when they were on sale quite a bit. Super light reels with that magnesium alloy thing they had going on. Well, 3 out of the 4 have the magnesium frame corroding in certain areas, and I can't figure out why. My father had the same issues. I take pretty good care of my stuff too.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

You have an issue. I'd return it, apparently they're not "just as good" a a Ci4.....Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
shimanoangler

Post by shimanoangler »

DanIsaac wrote:You have an issue. I'd return it, apparently they're not "just as good" a a Ci4.....Dan
I don't have any experience with the Ci4, but from what I have heard, it is an amazing reel. Maybe I simply don't know what smooth means or how its measured, and that is on me, but I would say that the Okuma in your hand feels very light and rugged, AND it does indeed have similar appearance as the Ci4, so I get the comparisons. Based on other replies I have received on this site and others, that the measurement of smooth is simply when turning the handle do you get any negative feedback and the answer is no, I don't. The retrieve is steady, without any noise or sensation of gears grinding, moving or catching. AKA, the reel is smooth.
shimanoangler

Post by shimanoangler »

Kyle46N wrote:
shimanoangler wrote:

I have the 25's, and like you mention, use them for drop shot and light shaky heads. Funny you mention the Supreme's....I have/had 4 of those from about 5 years ago when they were on sale quite a bit. Super light reels with that magnesium alloy thing they had going on. Well, 3 out of the 4 have the magnesium frame corroding in certain areas, and I can't figure out why. My father had the same issues. I take pretty good care of my stuff too.
I like the feel of the Okumas a little better than the Pfluegers. Even the high end Pflueger Patriarch XT doesn't feel as rugged as the Okuma, although it is incredibly smooth and with a great feel as you turn the handle. I spent last fishing season narrowing down the rods I will be fishing going forward and now I am working on the reels I will be using. Thanks again for the feedback. Good to know there is someone out there with hands on practical knowledge of the Okuma RTX line.
Last edited by shimanoangler on Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

The other thing I look for in a Spinning OR Baitcasting is the smoothness of the DRAG !! That's really more important to me. Yes, I want smooth turning of the handle, and I want a few ball bearings, but the Drag is what I check 1st !!
2007 "Numb Nut"

Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
shimanoangler

Post by shimanoangler »

Mitch wrote:The other thing I look for in a Spinning OR Baitcasting is the smoothness of the DRAG !! That's really more important to me. Yes, I want smooth turning of the handle, and I want a few ball bearings, but the Drag is what I check 1st !!
Drag is a slightly harder thing to test without actually getting on the water and where I am, well, we are close to frozen water season. I hear great things about the Okuma drags, but then again, I heard great things about how smooth the reels were. :-) I think I am turning the corner on feeling okay about this reel and its smoothness.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I test the Drag in the store by tightening and loosening it then turning it with my fingers. It's really best if there is line on it. Then you can feel how smooth it is. I won't buy one that binds and releases. I've even carried about 10 ft of line with me and put it on the reel to test it if I'm unfamiliar with the reel. I've seen friends with a reel that I'm interested in an tried the drag on them. Just me, I guess, lol !!
2007 "Numb Nut"

Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I am sure Dan can attest to this, after cracking open reels its amazing what's inside a spinning reel and the short cut's manufactures take to get that value reel. For starters they pack em with grease and secondly the tolerances around the gears are for shite. If you cant get several rotations after one simple spin of the handle i would return it too. The Shimano's Sahra and Solstice are a good value reel IMHO. I am currently saving up for a new Stradic, cause to me this is where they start to get good.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
shimanoangler

Post by shimanoangler »

ash wrote:I am sure Dan can attest to this, after cracking open reels its amazing what's inside a spinning reel and the short cut's manufactures take to get that value reel. For starters they pack em with grease and secondly the tolerances around the gears are for shite. If you cant get several rotations after one simple spin of the handle i would return it too. The Shimano's Sahra and Solstice are a good value reel IMHO. I am currently saving up for a new Stradic, cause to me this is where they start to get good.
I hear you on the shimano products. I have both the NASCI and Sahara, and am looking at an Ultegra, but they are all pretty heavy when compared to RTX and the Patriarch, both of which are very well rated, both users and professional reviews alike. I just can't bring myself to spend $200 plus on a reel alone. I want to try/handle a Ci4 to see if really does feel that different than the $100 reels. I am exclusively a spinning fisherman, so I guess if that is my tool of choice, maybe I should try one to see what I am missing, if anything...?
rico

Post by rico »

Instead of buying two $100 reels, why not buy a CI4? Then you'll have the reel that you're comparing every reel you buy to. Buy once, cry once
SpookFreak

Post by SpookFreak »

A lot of reels sit on the shelf for a while and get stiff. Try some light weight oil.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Tolerances are indeed where smoothness both begins, and ends. There are a mess of reels out there that make the claim " 11 bearings", etc etc, and most people I speak with at shows and customers for that matter go right to that.
But this reel mfgs spinning reel has 11 bearings, GREAT, irrelevant!

(1)That merely means there's need for much more maintenance, or
(2) that reels tolerances are most likely "sloppy", thus the need for more bearings in an attempt to limit un-wanted
movement or binding already in the reel due to weak tolerances

Why count bearings in a handle or handle fob? Really? All reels get their smoothness from the material used in a main and pinion gear, and the tolerances as a result of their cutting or pressing, PERIOD...

Nobody, at least IMHO cuts or presses a gear like Shimano does. Accordingly, they do not need a ridiculous amount or bearings to mfg smoothness into a reel, and their gearing lasts. The main purpose for a bearing in the first place is to insure proper alignment and wear.

That said, the other issue is the quality of bearing used. Some mfg may have 8-10 bearings that cost $1-$2 ea. Shimano and other high end mfg do not do that. As far as bearings, again, not the quantity, rather the quality of said bearings.
Most higher end mfg use bearings that cost between $5-$7 or even higher in some cases.

As far as how much is too much to spend on a spinning reel? I'm still servicing Stradic and Symetre reels that were made 20 years ago, so my answer is not $200 rather $99-$149 depending. More dollars will get you into a lighter version but the gearing and bearing count will remain quite similar...
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
shimanoangler

Post by shimanoangler »

DanIsaac wrote:Tolerances are indeed where smoothness both begins, and ends. There are a mess of reels out there that make the claim " 11 bearings", etc etc, and most people I speak with at shows and customers for that matter go right to that.
But this reel mfgs spinning reel has 11 bearings, GREAT, irrelevant!

(1)That merely means there's need for much more maintenance, or
(2) that reels tolerances are most likely "sloppy", thus the need for more bearings in an attempt to limit un-wanted
movement or binding already in the reel due to weak tolerances

Why count bearings in a handle or handle fob? Really? All reels get their smoothness from the material used in a main and pinion gear, and the tolerances as a result of their cutting or pressing, PERIOD...

Nobody, at least IMHO cuts or presses a gear like Shimano does. Accordingly, they do not need a ridiculous amount or bearings to mfg smoothness into a reel, and their gearing lasts. The main purpose for a bearing in the first place is to insure proper alignment and wear.

That said, the other issue is the quality of bearing used. Some mfg may have 8-10 bearings that cost $1-$2 ea. Shimano and other high end mfg do not do that. As far as bearings, again, not the quantity, rather the quality of said bearings.
Most higher end mfg use bearings that cost between $5-$7 or even higher in some cases.

As far as how much is too much to spend on a spinning reel? I'm still servicing Stradic and Symetre reels that were made 20 years ago, so my answer is not $200 rather $99-$149 depending. More dollars will get you into a lighter version but the gearing and bearing count will remain quite similar...
Great reply. I understand what you are saying and agree in principle, but it is impossible to know what components each manufacturer is using in their reels, as they don't and won't publish we use X dollar parts. And, I do believe that there are new manufacturers who come along looking to gain entrance to the market who out think the room, knowing if they do something well, and do it affordably, they can win market share and build a brand. I think Okuma, 13 Fishing & Lews are great examples of companies who have entered a market and pushed on the norms. Shimano is no doubt the lexus of the spinning reel market, but even they have seen the trend to making more affordable high end fishing reels, ie NASCI, re release of Sahara and the Ultegra, reels that are loaded with high end components, but are still affordable, ie at the $100 or below, and I think they got pushed there by the new entrants who have filled a blank space in the spinning reel market, ie the high end affordable spinning reel.

To this end, I am going to take the plunge and buy a Ci4 to gain perspective from a comparison standpoint to see if spending more than $200 plus on a spinning reel yields you something that simply cannot be had (performance and durability) in a $100 or less spinning reel. Stay tuned, my Ci4 is on its way and I will report back with my findings.

I really like the input and the opportunity to hear from other fisherman their experience with equipment. Forums like this are truly an invaluable resource.
SpookFreak

Post by SpookFreak »

I still like that Diawa ss tournament 1300's. Getting harder to find them.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I hear ya bud it wasnt until i started cracking em open and breaking em down until i started to see these differences \ shortcuts. I was always under the assumption that Dawia was the shiz when it came to spinning reels.... after my lil exercise last year I made the determination to start culling em for the Ci4 - just gonna have to be patient and save my coin. My first stradic is damn near 20years (wood handle, white frame) and after a full break down and new carbon fiber drags i think she'll have another 20 in her. Compare that to my value reels where I get 5 and they end up in a garage sale or strait out of the box I am like wtf was i thinking...

I look forward to seeing your feedback and I hope you post some.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
shimanoangler

Post by shimanoangler »

ash wrote:I hear ya bud it wasnt until i started cracking em open and breaking em down until i started to see these differences \ shortcuts. I was always under the assumption that Dawia was the shiz when it came to spinning reels.... after my lil exercise last year I made the determination to start culling em for the Ci4 - just gonna have to be patient and save my coin. My first stradic is damn near 20years (wood handle, white frame) and after a full break down and new carbon fiber drags i think she'll have another 20 in her. Compare that to my value reels where I get 5 and they end up in a garage sale or strait out of the box I am like wtf was i thinking...

I look forward to seeing your feedback and I hope you post some.
I will definitely post something once I have the opportunity to do a side by side comparison. What other reels have you cracked open and felt like they use quality components? I ask as a matter of knowledge, as I wonder if there are reel manufacturers out there that build quality reels that people wouldn't know or expect? Have you ever cracked open a mitchell? Just received a Daiwa Fuego LT today. Spins so much more freely than the Okuma RTX. As does the Pflueger Supreme XT. I will chime back in when I get my hands on a Ci4 to compare.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Dan's the man that knows reels. Only a few components turn using a spinning reel; the rotar that wraps the line onto the spool and the crank shaft mechanism. Bad rotar you can't fix, return the reel. Take out the spool and try turning the handle, if it feels good it's the rotar. If the reel still turns hard, then take the side plate off and clean out the excess gear grease and lightly regrease the gears. Over greased gears can cause your problem. The spinning reel doesn't need to spin, just turn smoothly.
Tom