California Boaters Card. Your thoughts?

Par

California Boaters Card. Your thoughts?

Post by Par »

http://californiaboatercard.com/about-the-card/

Know this was posted a while back but thought I would pass it along for those who may not know about it.
Sponsored by Murph's Mule Barn
mark poulson

Re: California Boaters Card. Your thoughts?

Post by mark poulson »

I took the test and passed, so that should tell you something about it. Hahaha
Seriously, for me, it was a very informative study and test. It covers lots of navigational things that I didn't know, and safe boating too.
I think anyone who buys a boat should be required to take and pass it before they can get insurance, just like a car.
I wish there were some way to require all jet ski boat operators and PWC operators to have to take and pass it, too.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Par

Post by Par »

I agree.
I believe the requirement is any motorized vessel.
WRB

Post by WRB »

If the insurance companies offer a discount to card holders that may expedite the process.
My age group will be required to get a card after 2025....don't think I would pass the test in my mid 80's :wink:
Tom
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

WRB wrote:If the insurance companies offer a discount to card holders that may expedite the process.
My age group will be required to get a card after 2025....don't think I would pass the test in my mid 80's :wink:
Tom
Some ins. companies already do offer a discount for it.
I'd go one step farther. I'd like to see insurance companies require it in order to get insurance. And for launch ramps to require it to launch.
No one should be able to operate a motorized boat with a license.

As for age, do like I did and take it early, so you have a better chance to pass. I took it two years ago, and I still remember most of the laws, but I'd have to use the online tutorial that goes with the test again, just to be sure.
CLEAN AND DRY
biteme

Post by biteme »

Rental boats or jet ski's? How about backing a trailer in?
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

biteme wrote:Rental boats or jet ski's? How about backing a trailer in?
I know sometimes I get upset having to wait but I gain more in laughs from watching them than I lose having to put up with them.

Where would all the backing mishap videos come from if people learned to do it right.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

Rod Martin wrote:
biteme wrote:Rental boats or jet ski's? How about backing a trailer in?
I know sometimes I get upset having to wait but I gain more in laughs from watching them than I lose having to put up with them.

Where would all the backing mishap videos come from if people learned to do it right.
I agree, Rod. Just spend a couple of hours at your local boat ramp, especially on a holiday weekend. The endless string of comedies of errors is well worth the price of admission.
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
stratosman

Post by stratosman »

I've been operating bass boats for 28 years now. I just don't see where having an operators license is going to make operating a boat any safer. To me, operating a boat safely involves using common sense. Something that seems to be declining in society today. I see it as just another way for this state to make money. Just another tax disguised as a fee. All that being said, I will still be getting mine before long because in my mid-seventies I won't want to be testing for anything.
db220

Post by db220 »

stratosman wrote:I've been operating bass boats for 28 years now. I just don't see where having an operators license is going to make operating a boat any safer. To me, operating a boat safely involves using common sense. Something that seems to be declining in society today. I see it as just another way for this state to make money. Just another tax disguised as a fee. All that being said, I will still be getting mine before long because in my mid-seventies I won't want to be testing for anything.
I believe it's called education. Driving a car is common sense as well, but it helps to know the rules of the road and what the signs mean. It's unbelievable that anyone can buy a boat capable of high speeds and with no license, no education and no experience just get in it and go.
I think making sure that everyone has a basic education in boater safety is worthwhile and the cost is pretty much one boat launch so it's very reasonable.
biteme

Post by biteme »

db220 wrote:
stratosman wrote:I've been operating bass boats for 28 years now. I just don't see where having an operators license is going to make operating a boat any safer. To me, operating a boat safely involves using common sense. Something that seems to be declining in society today. I see it as just another way for this state to make money. Just another tax disguised as a fee. All that being said, I will still be getting mine before long because in my mid-seventies I won't want to be testing for anything.
I believe it's called education. Driving a car is common sense as well, but it helps to know the rules of the road and what the signs mean. It's unbelievable that anyone can buy a boat capable of high speeds and with no license, no education and no experience just get in it and go.
I think making sure that everyone has a basic education in boater safety is worthwhile and the cost is pretty much one boat launch so it's very reasonable.
Anyone know how many boating accidents there were last year in Cali?
db220

Post by db220 »

biteme wrote:
db220 wrote:
In 2016 in California there were 588 accidents, 266 injuries and 50 fatalities totaling 3.9 million dollars in damages. Here is the link
https://dbw.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=28733
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

Because I recently turned 20, I will have to get the card to drive a boat by next month. Anyone who thinks this will continue to just cost 10 dollars and won't be subject to more regulation in the future is wrong. This won't make being on the water safer, this won't make wait times at the ramps any shorter. Boating and being safe on the water is about common sense, not memorizing laws.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Chad Sweitzer wrote:Because I recently turned 20, I will have to get the card to drive a boat by next month. Anyone who thinks this will continue to just cost 10 dollars and won't be subject to more regulation in the future is wrong. This won't make being on the water safer, this won't make wait times at the ramps any shorter. Boating and being safe on the water is about common sense, not memorizing laws.
Chad, I agree that memorizing laws won't make boating safer. But being aware of what the responsibilities and liabilities of being a boater are will. I see too many clueless boaters zipping around the Delta without regard for that damage their wakes do to others who are also boating. To me, it seem like there are a lot of boaters who didn't have someone like your dad to teach them the right way to do things, and why.
I think the only way to insure that reckless boating is reduced is to require all boaters to learn the laws and rules of boating. And I think requiring a boater's license in order to obtain boat insurance is a good way to get boaters to learn those laws and rules.
While I don't like more rules and regulation, once there are enough boaters on the water to make following the rules a matter of safety, I think they are important. Like driving on the right side of the road.
Common sense is only common when everyone is required to learn the rules. Otherwise, too many will acquire it through making mistakes, at the expense of others.
CLEAN AND DRY
biteme

Post by biteme »

db220 wrote:
biteme wrote:
db220 wrote:
In 2016 in California there were 588 accidents, 266 injuries and 50 fatalities totaling 3.9 million dollars in damages. Here is the link
Thanks, this will be good to look back on and see if things improve.
So if you rent a boat or have a jet ski will you need a license?
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

biteme wrote:
db220 wrote:
biteme wrote: Anyone know how many boating accidents there were last year in Cali?
Thanks, this will be good to look back on and see if things improve.
So if you rent a boat or have a jet ski will you need a license?
I sure hope so.
CLEAN AND DRY
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

The Boaters Card may be beneficial for people who care about their safety and the safety of others on the water. But those aren't the people getting into accidents on the water. If you care enough to read through 3 hours of boating lectures and videos, most likely you aren't a danger to others on the water. It's the people who rent (exempt from this card) or drive their boat in an unsafe/reckless way that are getting into accidents. Those aren't the people who are going to care about this card and the classes that go with it. If someone careless with their life and the lives of others on the water, how could you assume they would care about a dry, boring 3 hour lecture on boating safety?
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Chad Sweitzer wrote:The Boaters Card may be beneficial for people who care about their safety and the safety of others on the water. But those aren't the people getting into accidents on the water. If you care enough to read through 3 hours of boating lectures and videos, most likely you aren't a danger to others on the water. It's the people who rent (exempt from this card) or drive their boat in an unsafe/reckless way that are getting into accidents. Those aren't the people who are going to care about this card and the classes that go with it. If someone careless with their life and the lives of others on the water, how could you assume they would care about a dry, boring 3 hour lecture on boating safety?
Chad,
I understand what you're saying, and it makes sense.
I just think that requiring those people to "suffer" through those three hours may educate some who just don't know any better, and discourage others who are too lazy to do the work.
At least it will require some kind of proficiency in order to be able to drive a boat.
I think the exemption for rental boats is a big mistake. You need a valid driver's license, and proof of insurance, in order to rent a car. Why should a boat be any different?
Maybe having the insurance companies that cover marinas who rent boats require it as a condition of coverage will help. There has to be a shared responsibility in order for this to work.
CLEAN AND DRY
biteme

Post by biteme »

mark poulson wrote:
Chad Sweitzer wrote:The Boaters Card may be beneficial for people who care about their safety and the safety of others on the water. But those aren't the people getting into accidents on the water. If you care enough to read through 3 hours of boating lectures and videos, most likely you aren't a danger to others on the water. It's the people who rent (exempt from this card) or drive their boat in an unsafe/reckless way that are getting into accidents. Those aren't the people who are going to care about this card and the classes that go with it. If someone careless with their life and the lives of others on the water, how could you assume they would care about a dry, boring 3 hour lecture on boating safety?
Chad,
I just think that requiring those people to "suffer" through those three hours may educate some who just don't know any better, and discourage others who are too lazy to do the work.
At least it will require some kind of proficiency in order to be able to drive a boat.
I think the exemption for rental boats is a big mistake. You need a valid driver's license, and proof of insurance, in order to rent a car. Why should a boat be any different?
Maybe having the insurance companies that cover marinas who rent boats require it as a condition of coverage will help. There has to be a shared responsibility in order for this to work.
Whens the last time a warden pulled up to you and checked your info or fish? Out of the last 10 years its happened one time to me.
trrydev

Post by trrydev »

So where do/can someone take the “test”? Anyone have a link or something? Thanks,

Terry
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

biteme wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Chad,
Whens the last time a warden pulled up to you and checked your info or fish? Out of the last 10 years its happened one time to me.
I've been pulled over once in the last 2 1/2 years fishing the Delta, and half a dozen times in the last 15+ years fishing down in SoCal.
If a boater's card is required before you can launch, that pretty much covers it. And, if someone who doesn't have a card is operating someone else's boat , the boat owner should be held responsible, just like with a car.
CLEAN AND DRY
biteme

Post by biteme »

mark poulson wrote:
biteme wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Chad,
I've been pulled over once in the last 2 1/2 years fishing the Delta, and half a dozen times in the last 15+ years fishing down in SoCal.
If a boater's card is required before you can launch, that pretty much covers it. And, if someone who doesn't have a card is operating someone else's boat , the boat owner should be held responsible, just like with a car.
Before you launch? How will they enforce that? They have booths set up now that you swipe a card to pay because they dont want to pay a ranger.
Good luck trying to enforce this. Im in NV anyway so no card needed even when I visit to fish Ca waterways.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

biteme wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
biteme wrote: Whens the last time a warden pulled up to you and checked your info or fish? Out of the last 10 years its happened one time to me.
Before you launch? How will they enforce that? They have booths set up now that you swipe a card to pay because they dont want to pay a ranger.
Good luck trying to enforce this. Im in NV anyway so no card needed even when I visit to fish Ca waterways.
That's why making the boating card necessary to obtain boat insurance is so important.
CLEAN AND DRY
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

mark poulson wrote:
biteme wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
That's why making the boating card necessary to obtain boat insurance is so important.
The last time I checked, boat insurance is not required by the State. It is required to fish some tournament circuits or (depending on club rules) some club tournaments; it is also most likely required by financial institutions that finance boat purchases. Other than those two examples, insurers requiring a boater's card will not pressure someone into getting a card.
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
DarWise

Post by DarWise »

You can take the course on the CA Boating and Waterways website. I'm sure there are others, but this is where I took my boating safety course. https://dbw.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=28734

As for a discount on your boat insurance, my previous insurance company did not offer a discount for completing the Boater Safety Course, but since I changed to Safeco Insurance (thanks to Ben Green Insurance) I now get a discount on my boat insurance for having completed the course.

Why would anyone who OWNS a boat not buy insurance? If you finance your boat purchase I think insurance is required for the loan.
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

DarWise wrote:You can take the course on the CA Boating and Waterways website. I'm sure there are others, but this is where I took my boating safety course. https://dbw.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=28734

As for a discount on your boat insurance, my previous insurance company did not offer a discount for completing the Boater Safety Course, but since I changed to Safeco Insurance (thanks to Ben Green Insurance) I now get a discount on my boat insurance for having completed the course.

Why would anyone who OWNS a boat not buy insurance? If you finance your boat purchase I think insurance is required for the loan.
Wow, pretty much A-Z of EVERYTHING! Took a quick looksey and man, I'll be pretty smart when I've read it all. Just one page hit me, there are rules about passing and horn blasts that mean things I never knew about.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
Par

Post by Par »

I took the test too.
Covered a lot!
I think there should have been a lot more emphasis on dock and ramp etiquette! : )
hydro

Post by hydro »

Perhaps these same politicians who passed the Boater's safety card law should have to take a test about the US Constitution , Representative style of Government , and ethics before they can get their "California Law Makers card" allowing them to run for office and later create laws for the rest of us to abide by .
semipro

Post by semipro »

hydro wrote:Perhaps these same politicians who passed the Boater's safety card law should have to take a test about the US Constitution , Representative style of Government , and ethics before they can get their "California Law Makers card" allowing them to run for office and later create laws for the rest of us to abide by .
I would vote for that!
Steve Marino
(209) 918-1639

http://www.ownerhooks.com
http://www.yakimabait.com
http://www.vicious-fishing.com/
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

hydro wrote:Perhaps these same politicians who passed the Boater's safety card law should have to take a test about the US Constitution , Representative style of Government , and ethics before they can get their "California Law Makers card" allowing them to run for office and later create laws for the rest of us to abide by .
I agree that they should be held to the same standards they hold us to.
If they want to drug test us, they should have to be drug tested, too.
CLEAN AND DRY
rico

Post by rico »

I see there are 60 questions on the test. Does anyone know how many you can miss and still pass?

Found the answer, you need 48 right to pass.
rico

Post by rico »

I don't need to take it for a couple of years, but I checked with my insurance company and they offer a discount for a completed class so I might as well take it now since it's free. No telling what's going to happen in two years
FISHLIP WASHINTON

Post by FISHLIP WASHINTON »

Pretty long
60 quiz question 10 per section.6 sections

60 exam question at end

Just another way California can take your money
Wont make dumb people smarter just aware
Took the class to get it over with
Next how to fish classes
2013 RANGER.