Spoon Rod

jaybird

Spoon Rod

Post by jaybird »

Just curious what would be the right action rod for spooning?
Thank you
TheFLY

Re: Spoon Rod

Post by TheFLY »

Tough to give you a blanket answer to this as there are many different spoon sizes and weights.

For anything 1.25 ounces or lighter, I really, really like the Dobyns 763 Champion. Is a perfect rod for that. For 1.5 to 1.75 oz I use the Dobyns 733 Champion (it is a little more stout but still has a somewhat soft tip and slower action that many of the faster Dobyns rods. And then for anything over 1.75 ounces I go to the Dobyns 734 Champion. Note, these are not CB rods, these are all jig rods.

But I have plenty of buddies that do use crankbait rods for spooning. I find that guys' rod preferences for spooning vary more than any other technique. Some guys like really soft, slow, parabolic rods and other guys prefer more stout rods with backbones (like a Dobyns 734 C would be). I generally pair my 733 and 734 rods with McCoy copolymer as it has a decent amount of stretch in it. So I'm making up for the stiffer rod with a little more give in my line choice. And that 12 lb McCoy is just so damned strong. The reason I don't go to 15 lb is because of how difficult it is to break off when you get really hung up.

Gary Dobyns and I recently traded emails on this topic and he was thinking he'd probably go for a 764C for anything 1.75 ounces or more. And for a smaller .75 ounce spoon he recommended an 804, 805 CB or 763C.

I know, lots of choices! But like I said, guys really vary quite a bit on the kind or rod the prefer for spooning.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Structure spoons between 1/2 oz to 1 oz I use G.Loomis PR845C popping rod for several reasons, moderate upper 1/3rd similar to a crankbait rod to prevent tearing out treble hooks and strong lower section to control big bass around the boat. This rod works spoons and ice jig perfectly and substitutes for smaller size 1/2-5/8 oz crankbaits when not in use for spoons.
Tom
Tony Lain

Post by Tony Lain »

I agree with TheFLY... depends on what spoon size, what species you are targeting, and how you fish the spoon. I do a lot of flutter spoon fishing this time of year (see "Tony Lain" FaceBook photos and YouTube videos), normally targeting big Stripers. I do catch my share big Largemouth bass too on the flutter spoon. My favorite spoon rod is a Daiwa 7'4" Heavy acting rod with a fast tip. This rod was designed for open water frog fishing, but it is outstanding flutter spoon rod. I use a extra high speed reel (Daiwa Steez 8.1:1). Heres a link ref the rod...

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/rods/t ... index.html
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

Hey guys thank you very much for the info, I really appreciate it. Good stuff!!
Thank you, Jay
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I dont have a "spoon rod" but there are essentially two styles of spoon fishing i find myself doing. The duh spoon in the 1-2oz My old frog rod a fenwick HMG 7'0 heavy action rod has a nice parabolic bend and works perfectly for this bait. On the smaller duh's and cast masters I find myself oriented to a medium heavy rod or jerkbait rod depending on the weight of the spoon.

The way i have always determined it is that the bait shouldnt overpower the rod if you can not feel that flutter on the decent because the action of the rod is already loaded down you need to up the power and if you cannot feel the flutter and there is no load on the rod ya need to downsize it.

Hell I have some 1/4" kast masters i throw on spinning gear and a 1oz tungsten spoon i throw on my jig stick. Dont forget it is a "Jigging Spoon" I dont use my jig sticks cause its winter and I always have a jig tied on :D

So play with your arsenal to see what works with your bait and style
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Craig really spelled it out above. It all depends on the weigh of the spoon. For instance when the 8" Flutter spoon got popular we got bombarded with calls on what rod would be best. We bought some spoons and I took 6-7 rods to the water to test. There's almost no resistance when working this spoon but the weight of it for casting made me recommend a 795 SB rod. It's not needed to "fish" the bait but is needed for casting it.

We sell a lot of 8 foot CB rods for spoons. I personally would opt for a Champion 763C or 764C myself for spoons weighing 3/4 to 1 3/4 ounces.
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

Thank you for the information, I appreciate all of you taking the time to respond.
Happy Holiday`s to all and tight lines.