Buying a new fishfinder

gman2

Buying a new fishfinder

Post by gman2 »

I'm wanting to buy some new units for my boat. Possibly a lowrance HDS-12 and 7 Gen3's. I have NO experience with electronics. My question is, should I go to a shop and have them installed by a pro, or is it something I could do on my own? There is a Bass Pro Shops a few hours from my house. Are they knowledgeable or is that like going to the kid at Home Depot to ask for construction advice? I really don't want to do it myself if I cant set the system up properly and end up taking to a shop anyways. Any advice for this novice is appreciated, Thanks-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kmah

Re: Buying a new fishfinder

Post by kmah »

Based on what you are saying and your reluctance to do the installs yourself, I’d seek professional help on the installation.

What city do you live in?

K. Mah
gman2

Post by gman2 »

Visalia, Ca.
Trace

Post by Trace »

There are some good videos on you tube showing how to install these same units. I added a hds7 with the structure scan transducer. Deciding where to mount it was the biggest decision. I used the transducer shield jack plate mount. It is better protected from potential damage. If you have any questions send me a pm because depending on what you have in your boat now and how you want the units mounted determine how much work is involved.
Tracy