New Trophy Bass book

WRB

New Trophy Bass book

Post by WRB »

Just finished reading Lunker Lore by Josh Alwine, well written, published this year 2017 and a good addition to anyone's bass book library.
Tom
milehi

Re: New Trophy Bass book

Post by milehi »

Thanks Tom, a fun read even if it is mostly about rich Texans. Curious if you have ever read anything by Edwin Bauer, very old, or Stan Fagerstom
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

Yes, Stan is an excellent read! I knew him pretty well, even visiting him in his home in Washington state. He was really able to break down some of the major shallow water techniques. I don't think he did a lot of deep water bass fishing. Wonderful, fun gentleman!!!
milehi

Post by milehi »

When I first became hooked on bass fishing backed in the mid 70s in Corvallis, Oregon, I could go a year fishing ponds & sloughs & never see another fisherman. Stan was the first writer I came across that was a northwest guy, good writer & good bass guy+ loved the hat. Saw a piece a few years ago that he was still doing his casting thing. Sure he's gone, how long ago. His place in Washington was right below Mt. St. Helens I believe
WRB

Post by WRB »

Stan Fagerstrom was an old school writer, good bass angler and excellent exhibition caster in the mold of Jadon Lucas. Watched Stan do a casting exhibition years ago at Fred Hall show, never met him.
Jason's book wasn't all about Texas private lakes, his chapter on George Perry was good and I received recognition in the public lake chapter :wink:
Tom
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

WRB wrote:Stan Fagerstrom was an old school writer, good bass angler and excellent exhibition caster in the mold of Jadon Lucas. Watched Stan do a casting exhibition years ago at Fred Hall show, never met him.
Jason's book wasn't all about Texas private lakes, his chapter on George Perry was good and I received recognition in the public lake chapter :wink:
Tom
So just how did Tom Young become Old Tom? :wink:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
WRB

Post by WRB »

mark poulson wrote:
WRB wrote:Stan Fagerstrom was an old school writer, good bass angler and excellent exhibition caster in the mold of Jadon Lucas. Watched Stan do a casting exhibition years ago at Fred Hall show, never met him.
Tom
By staying above the brass for 3/4 of a century.
Tom
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

WRB wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Tom
By staying above the brass for 3/4 of a century.
Tom
You're my hero, and inspiration. :lol: :lol: :lol:
CLEAN AND DRY
milehi

Post by milehi »

Hey Tom, off subject a bit buy know you are familiar with the area, what do you think our so cal mountain lakes are capable of, size wise
WRB

Post by WRB »

milehi wrote:Hey Tom, off subject a bit buy know you are familiar with the area, what do you think our so cal mountain lakes are capable of, size wise
Big Bear tried to introduce Florida strain LMB back in the mid 70's and they couldn't survive the winter ice over period when the core water temps drop below 45 degrees. The high altitude mountain lakes only have northern strain LMB and smallmouth bass. I caught a 8lb LMB in '63 to win the BBL Sportsmens club for bass and know of several 8 lb LMB being caught when I worked at the boat landing during the mid 50's to early 60's. My estimate is somewhere around 9 lbs for LMB and 6 lbs for Smallmouth bass.
Tom
milehi

Post by milehi »

Thanks Tom. You always hear stories. My buddies & I who fish Arrowhead almost exclusively have a rule, guessed weight & no pictures, you didn't catch it. got a weighted 8 out of big bear 30+ years ago, couple of 7 evens here, always wonder if I'm missing the boat
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

WRB wrote:
milehi wrote:Hey Tom, off subject a bit buy know you are familiar with the area, what do you think our so cal mountain lakes are capable of, size wise
Big Bear tried to introduce Florida strain LMB back in the mid 70's and they couldn't survive the winter ice over period when the core water temps drop below 45 degrees. The high altitude mountain lakes only have northern strain LMB and smallmouth bass. I caught a 8lb LMB in '63 to win the BBL Sportsmens club for bass and know of several 8 lb LMB being caught when I worked at the boat landing during the mid 50's to early 60's. My estimate is somewhere around 9 lbs for LMB and 6 lbs for Smallmouth bass.
Tom
Tom,
My friend Mike Iljin caught a 12.76 up at Lake Pyramid during a Club tourney.
Was that a Northern strain bass?
CLEAN AND DRY
WRB

Post by WRB »

Pyramid and Castaic was originally stocked with northern strain LMB from Van Norman dam during construction shortly before the '71 Sylmar earthquake, in the 4-8 lb range. After the quake more truck loads of bass were stocked as they drained Van Norman. About '73 juvenile Florida strain LMB were stocked in Castiac. My guess is bass anglers started to transport the FLMB from Castaic to Pyramid or pumping water from Castaic back to Pyramid introduced FLMB. I believe the Pyramid LMB record is around 16 lbs today. Pyramid doesn't freeze or the core water temps stay abovec45 degrees.
Have you bought the book yet?
Tom
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

WRB wrote:Pyramid and Castaic was originally stocked with northern strain LMB from Van Norman dam during construction shortly before the '71 Sylmar earthquake, in the 4-8 lb range. After the quake more truck loads of bass were stocked as they drained Van Norman. About '73 juvenile Florida strain LMB were stocked in Castiac. My guess is bass anglers started to transport the FLMB from Castaic to Pyramid or pumping water from Castaic back to Pyramid introduced FLMB. I believe the Pyramid LMB record is around 16 lbs today. Pyramid doesn't freeze or the core water temps stay abovec45 degrees.
Have you bought the book yet?
Tom
Thanks.

I just finished the book. Too short! Hahaha
CLEAN AND DRY