Need advice - Diesel Truck owners?

Share vehicle info.
green_monster

Need advice - Diesel Truck owners?

Post by green_monster »

I have the opportunity to buy dads 2007 F350 6.0 Diesel. It has 180,000 miles, but has had a new turbo and injectors recently put in. It has new 35" Toyo MT. It is currently on his farm in Nebraska. I'm nervous about Smog in Ca. He had the EGR deleted and 4" strait pipe exhaust put on. If I undeleted the EGR and put on factory exhaust, would I have any smog issues? Can someone explain the diesel smog test process in CA? Thanks guys.
"Work is for people who don't know how to fish!" unknown

http://www.folsombassteam.com
JoeLanghans

Re: Need advice - Diesel Truck owners?

Post by JoeLanghans »

Stay away from all Powerstroke 6.0 diesel engines under all circumstances.
kporter

Post by kporter »

For the most part, diesel smog in ca is just a visual inspection to make sure you haven’t modified the stock parts of the engine which would make it, “out of compliance”. Depending on your year model I think it’s once every 2-3 years... deleting all the b.s. that comes stock like your dad did just let’s the engine run more efficient and gains horsepower, but “pollutes the environment” says the hippies. If u live in California.... just remember...”kiss” keep it stock stupid..... otherwise your asking for trouble. Just my $.02
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

Maybe for free. I had a 2004 with the 6.0 and paid $10000 for headgaskets, ARP studs and a Bulletproof cooler then another $3500 for oil pump and a few other issues at 140000 miles. After a year the headgaskets blew again and I got rid of it. That engine is a hole to throw money in.
split172

Post by split172 »

I agree with everyone else here. Stay away from the 6.0 unless it’s free.
K_Lincomfelt

Post by K_Lincomfelt »

You could undelete the truck for smog but that is a huge pain in the butt every two years to change it back and forth. That Ford 6.0 is not worth doing that IMO. Also the Ca smog system is far from just a visual inspection anymore that went away 3ish years ago. They plug in the truck and read the readiness monitors for all the electrical smog components to be ready and working also no check engine lights of any sort can be on. I know this first hand as I swap my 07 cummins 6.7 back and forth for smog every 2 years. I have given in and didn't swap mine back this go around and left it stock as I'm enjoying my 15mpg instead of 22 mpg deleted. There are certain places in Ca that do not require smog on diesel but good luck getting registration done if you don't live in those restricted areas. My advice stay away from the diesel pickups right now the emissions systems are trash even on the new ones.

~Kevin
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

I thought there was an exception for out of state . If you buy it from your dad and put it in your name in Nebraska , then move it to calif. and it meets smog for the state it came from but would have to have all legal that came on it.

People moving to calif. from other states don't have to change their car to meet calif. specs do they ?
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
BigBassDaddy1190

Post by BigBassDaddy1190 »

All I’ve ever owed are fords. I will tell you just like the others, do not buy a 6.0. If you can get yourself a 7.3 with around same mileage you would be much better off. Otherwise, get a 6.7 powestroke or a Cummins. The dodge truck itself isn’t much to write home about but the engine pays for itself.

6.0 is junk
green_monster

Post by green_monster »

Thanks guys. Appreciate the information. Definitely some things to consider.
"Work is for people who don't know how to fish!" unknown

http://www.folsombassteam.com
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

Dodge Ram 2500 " 5.9 Cummins " hands down best light diesel motor ever made !, last year available was up to 07&1/2, if you can find a 05 to 07 ' you won't be disappointed!......
Fish Trap

Post by Fish Trap »

BigBassDaddy1190 wrote:All I’ve ever owed are fords. I will tell you just like the others, do not buy a 6.0. If you can get yourself a 7.3 with around same mileage you would be much better off. Otherwise, get a 6.7 powestroke or a Cummins. The dodge truck itself isn’t much to write home about but the engine pays for itself.

6.0 is junk
Ditto. After 5 Fords in a row the 6.0 lived up to its reputation of "Fix or Repair Daily". Don't even worry about the SMOG that will be the least of your worries. these engines are garbage! I bought a Ram but with only 25,000 miles only time will tell if it is any better. Get a 7.3 liter Ford Diesel if you want a good engine.
bassdaddy

Post by bassdaddy »

I don't want to complicate things...but I've been driving a Ford F250 with a 6.0 diesel in it for 10 years and 120K miles and I've had zero problems with it. Just saying.
Jonson

Post by Jonson »

Have you decided to buy a used car? It's not an easy task and comes with some risks, especially if you do it infrequently or for the first time. When buying a car on the used market, it is advisable to check the vehicle by VIN using https://newshunt360.com/how-to-buy-a-qu ... air-costs/ , and earn money by checking other motorists.