Renaming the endangered "Delta Smelt" to the "Jerry Brown Smelt "

hydro

Renaming the endangered "Delta Smelt" to the "Jerry Brown Smelt "

Post by hydro »

A name change is in order for this soon to be extinct fish . What more fitting tribute than to rename the species in honor of the person who will be directly responsible for the species becoming extinct . The Jerry Brown Smelt will cement our Governor's legacy on protecting endangered wildlife (or lack there of) . Browns pandering to the big water lobbyists at the expense of the environment will hopefully lead to his political extinction coinciding with the disappearance forever of the fish formerly known as "The Delta Smelt".
WB Staff

Re: Renaming the endangered "Delta Smelt" to the "Jerry Brown Smelt "

Post by WB Staff »

Even NorCal's Wettest Winter Wasn't Enough to Help the Delta Smelt Drop to a Record Low

http://www.westernbass.com/article/even ... record-low
Attachments
delta smelt record low california delta.png
george

Post by george »

What I have a hard time processing is that when the delta smelt tracking began we were in a relatively normal weather pattern those years with normal rainfall!
Last year before all the major rain that ended the drought for California at the driest point they could not find the smelt in the brackish title waters and said the smelt numbers are way down.
Now after all the rainfall last year and near record run off they still could not find the delta smelt in those same tidal waters!

My question is in a normal year the smelt would be in the areas of where the fresh water and saltwater mix; tidal water! When there are drought conditions I would think that process could and would be upstream of the normal mixing area by a great distance, maybe even miles.

When we have heavy rain and run off that zone could be down stream by the same great distances and the smelt are most likely in that fresh and salt water mixing zone!

Are the folks studying the smelt looking in the right places as I would highly doubt they would stay in the same locations with the tidal water changes of great distances!

Is my thinking logical?

George
hydro

Post by hydro »

When the Central Valley Project was signed into law by Jerry Brown's father (Cal Governor at the time Edmund G. Brown )protections for the fish and wildlife from the effects of over pumping were contained in provisions of the new law . The Delta Smelt was to be used as the barometer species to indicate when the delta ecology was suffering from removing too much water since it was deemed that they would be the first species affected . The problem is after decades of ignoring the plight of the Delta Smelt due to ever increasing water exports and making excuses as to why their numbers kept dwindling the state is making no effort to curtail pumping to save them now .
Bassfishman

Post by Bassfishman »

Why would you want to re-name something as honorable as the Delta Smelt and call it a Jerry Brown Smelt? I'd rather call a big pile of raccoon $hit on a delta levee a Jerry Brown Turd - its more fitting.
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

George, your thinking is far too logical for our state government, no way the water inflows are taken into account regarding smelt populations and their location.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36