Deep Cranking

kensnider

Deep Cranking

Post by kensnider »

Anyone willing to share what lures they are using and colors for deep cranking in the lakes of No. Ca. Not knowing where to start, haven't even tried it yet. thanks
monte300

Re: Deep Cranking

Post by monte300 »

I guess deep cranking can be relative to the body of water. Both the Delta and Clearlake are relatively shallow and on the Delta weeds tend to force one to crank shallower. I'm strictly a Delta fisherman and mostly a cranker. I can tell you that whatever works at the Delta works at Clearlake. Reds and blacks work well at both places. The Luhr Jensen Speedtrap never seems to go out of style for me. When it comes to shallow cranking in my opinion nothing gets more bites than lipless crankbaits.
zdbm2004

Post by zdbm2004 »

Can't go wrong with the Strike King XD models 5-10. I like the more natural colors when the water is clear and white/chart/blue or red/black when stained. The price point on them is average and its a good product. Just change the hooks out and tie em on. Varying line size I'm able to cover 8-30' in depth with the 4 sizes. Good luck.
zmyers
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I'm also a big fan of changing hooks to a better quality, sharper hook. I prefer the #4 Gamakatsu round bend, but there are plenty of other quality replacement hooks.
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

Strike king--- 6xd or 10 xd
norman DD 14 and DD 22 originals if you can find em
6th sense crush 300 and crush 500
Bombers in a fat free or 5-6 model a
spro little johns
just a few that all work
monte300

Post by monte300 »

The eratic action of Wiggle Warts never seem to go out of style. Between Wiggle Warts and Speedtraps, can you tell I'm "old school"? :mrgreen:
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

clearlakeoutdoors wrote:Strike king--- 6xd or 10 xd
norman DD 14 and DD 22 originals if you can find em
6th sense crush 300 and crush 500
Bombers in a fat free or 5-6 model a
spro little johns
just a few that all work
For Deep Cranking this is pretty much my bag, with the exception of the 6th sense (ive just never used them) The DD22's DD14's, Bombers and Spro Lil Johns are my go to's. I have some of the strike kings but havent caught enough on em to talk about them.

Truth be told I do a lot more with a 3/4oz Blade Runner Under Spin and a Kietech 6.8" bait down to the same depths that the cranks were getting down to.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
WRB

Post by WRB »

If I was starting out today with crankbaits Berkleys Dredger series would be a consideration.
I use Bagley B's, Wooden Poe Cedar 300, Norman DD 14 & 22 series and Bomber 7A.
You should have Shad colors and crawdad colors like Black/red craws and anything Pearl belly ghosts with greenish blue backs for Threadfin Shad.
Rods and reels are critical with crankbaits, Dobyns 5 power crankbait rods within your price range and a reel with 140-180 yard 12 lb line capacity with mid 5-1 gear ratio. I use Shimano Calcutta's and Lamiglas XC705* rods (*no longer available).
Good luck and stay with it, deep diving cranking requires dedication and making long casts for several hours, your tackle is very important.
Tom