Seat belts

mark poulson

Seat belts

Post by mark poulson »

I asked this question years ago, and everyone shot me down, but I want to ask it again.
Why no seat belts in bass boats?
Today's bass boats are so stable, you don't hear about boats capsizing, and drowning their operators anymore.
But you do hear about people hitting stuff and being thrown from the boat all the time. That is why there are such strong rules about wearing PDFs.
Wearing them would be up to the occupants, but having the option would surely save lives.
So why aren't there seat belts in bass boats?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
kraetzer

Re: Seat belts

Post by kraetzer »

I think the problem is that you can't guaranty that a bass boat won't capsize. If it does and you have a seatbelt on the chances of drowning are probably very high.
kraetzer

"I am ready to face any challenge that might be foolish enough to face me" - Dwight K. Schrute
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

kraetzer wrote:I think the problem is that you can't guaranty that a bass boat won't capsize. If it does and you have a seatbelt on the chances of drowning are probably very high.
I wonder how many fiberglass bass boats capsized in 2017?
CLEAN AND DRY
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

mark poulson wrote:
kraetzer wrote:I think the problem is that you can't guaranty that a bass boat won't capsize. If it does and you have a seatbelt on the chances of drowning are probably very high.
I wonder how many fiberglass bass boats capsized in 2017?
Even one is too many, if you're strapped in and can't get out
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Aren't most bass boats pumped so full of flotation they can't sink? I guess they can still turn upside down.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I think it’s a great idea. You are 100 times more likely to get thrown out of a bass boat then you are of being in one that flips. Even if it flips, they have quick release belts. Just like in race cars.
OG on WB since 1993
Big Stick 74

Post by Big Stick 74 »

Yeah, tell that to the family of the two guys that got trapped in the boat and sunk in 200 ft of water! At Lake Sonoma in the early 90's. :(
Big Stick 74

Post by Big Stick 74 »

Was that a study that was conducted on the percentages of being thrown out or having it flip? Just really curious as I had two of my good friends at Lake Sam Rayburn flip a bass boat and one of them was trapped underneath and almost died! Just sayin!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Mike wrote:I think it’s a great idea. You are 100 times more likely to get thrown out of a bass boat then you are of being in one that flips. Even if it flips, they have quick release belts. Just like in race cars.
I think having a seat belt on when I'm in rough water will be an added safety precaution that is worth exploring. I fish alone a lot, and am not young anymore, so, for me, I think it makes sense.

My first new truck, a 69 Ford, had lap belts, but I never wore them, because it wasn't the law back then.
But every new car and truck I've bought since then had the shoulder belts, and I learned to use them. Now it's second nature.

I'm actually more worried about my non-boater, since I have a single console, and have the steering wheel to hold onto. Those Delta cruisers can throw up some big, steep wakes, and I don't always see them with a lot of lead time.
But I remember when Gary Dobyns was thrown from his boat, and he's a lot stronger than I am, so I don't think I'd be able to hold on, either.
I'm going to see if I can find a way to install a seat belt in my boat, and, if I can, I'm going to order two.
CLEAN AND DRY
norcalracer

Post by norcalracer »

Could have a mercury filled safety switch, that would release seat belt when flipped upside down,some race boats use seat belts.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Like you, I've asked this question before and was pummeled by the masses !! I've just changed my seating from a bench seat to two single seats and I'm going to add just a lap belt. I don't fish the big tournys anymore, but I feel that if I do encounter rough water or the huge wakes in the Delta, they would be a great addition to keeping me IN the boat. I'm not so much worried about being upside down as being thrown out or battered around. It would sure make it easier to hold on and not be thrown about when running even in a rough chop. I think ( IMHO ) that there are many many more injuries/deaths by being thrown out than drowning upside down, at least in a Bass Boat ! I'm not even sure you can turn one upside down, lol !! I've still got some finish work to do on my upgrade, so pretty sure I'm going to add them in MY Boat. Anyway, you'll have the option to use or hang on, your choice !!
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

We've all seen this video and I know his boat didn't flip but "if" he had a belt on do you think it would have been better or worse. But a thought I have also is it he's strapped in with a belt would he have on a kill switch since he wouldn't get tossed out and would his boat continue to run somewhere with him inside strapped in and possibly knocked out?
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

And it's sad how those first few boats kept going on and not stopping to check on them!!!
Last edited by yjjustforme on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

I saw something like this happen right in front of me during a Stockton bass tourney years ago and it only makes me wonder if a belt would be better or not, and if a Killswitch would be a negative when strapped in cause you're not getting tossed out to kill the motor
DarWise

Post by DarWise »

Here's another thought. When you're running, and something jolts your boat to one side, like a steering malfunction (most of you have seen that video of the two anglers being slung out of the boat because of a steering malfunction), and you get slung to one side, would having seat belts on cause physical damage to your body if wearing only a lap belt? Think about it. Your upper body would be jolted sideways while your lower body remains stationary.

In this situation, I would think being thrown out of the boat (assuming you have your PFD and kill switch active) would be better than throwing your whole body out of whack because of your seat belt.
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

I don't think seat belts are a bad idea, I almost launched my partner out in a 40mph Tracker, I'm sure it happens more often than we think. We trust our lives on a lifejacket that inflates when it hits water, how is that different than trusting a seatbelt to disengage when it hits the water? I think more people have died from being ejected than bass boats have capsized. But shoulder belts would be needed I think, which just means higher backed seats.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

DarWise wrote:Here's another thought. When you're running, and something jolts your boat to one side, like a steering malfunction (most of you have seen that video of the two anglers being slung out of the boat because of a steering malfunction), and you get slung to one side, would having seat belts on cause physical damage to your body if wearing only a lap belt? Think about it. Your upper body would be jolted sideways while your lower body remains stationary.

In this situation, I would think being thrown out of the boat (assuming you have your PFD and kill switch active) would be better than throwing your whole body out of whack because of your seat belt.
You'll get to see how you like a lap belt next trip.
CLEAN AND DRY