Ca Delta Drop Shot Question?

Bassmonkey1980

Ca Delta Drop Shot Question?

Post by Bassmonkey1980 »

with the Ca delta bass fishiing season right around the corner what is your favorite drop shot set up for ca delta, spinning or baitcasting line hooks baits Weights ext and why? thanks western bass
Last edited by Bassmonkey1980 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Double-G

Re: Ca Delta Drop Shot Question?

Post by Double-G »

Hey BassMonkey,
I know I'm considered a finesse fisherman but I have quite an extensive history on the Delta. I do throw a dropshot on the Delta and I have been quite successful with multiple 5 fish bags over 30#. So for what it's worth, here's my setup.
I use a 7'1' Medium action, Spinning rod from IRod, I prefer the spinning rod because I can get the bait into tighter spots than a casting rod. I like the 7'+ Medium action for the power to control bigger fish as well as getting the hook set well enough.
I use 15 pound test braid as my main line and I use 8#-10# Gamma Edge line for the leader, the braid helps with sensitivity as well as to cut grass if the fish bury up in the grass. As far as why Gamma it's all about abrasion resistance. The teeth on those big large mouth are terrible on line in the spring. I have yet to have one cut me off like when I used all the other lines like Tatsu, 100%, P or Sun lines!
The reel is a size 30 because of the more fluid drag from the larger arbor spool as well as the higher gear ratio for line retrieve.
As far the Hooks I like to use a 1/0 offset like the Trapper Tackle, or 1/0 round bend offset hook because of the smaller diameter and better penetration. Keep in mind that light of wire will straiten out if you horse the fish...it's not a flippin stick or 20 pound line so I don't horse the fish!
Pick your plastic, I like Reaction Innovations but that's just me.
So that's my 2 cents worth I hope that helps, have fun!
Greg Gutierrez
Frenzy Baits
Big Stick 74

Post by Big Stick 74 »

Thanks Double G! I think we all appreciate your honest and to the point answer! Kinda nice to see a Pro like yourself be straight up with info. Wish more guys would do that, as isn't helping one another the right thing to do? :D You're the man! wishing you much success in all you do!
Bassmonkey1980

Post by Bassmonkey1980 »

Double-G wrote:Hey BassMonkey,
I know I'm considered a finesse fisherman but I have quite an extensive history on the Delta. I do throw a dropshot on the Delta and I have been quite successful with multiple 5 fish bags over 30#. So for what it's worth, here's my setup.
I use a 7'1' Medium action, Spinning rod from IRod, I prefer the spinning rod because I can get the bait into tighter spots than a casting rod. I like the 7'+ Medium action for the power to control bigger fish as well as getting the hook set well enough.
I use 15 pound test braid as my main line and I use 8#-10# Gamma Edge line for the leader, the braid helps with sensitivity as well as to cut grass if the fish bury up in the grass. As far as why Gamma it's all about abrasion resistance. The teeth on those big large mouth are terrible on line in the spring. I have yet to have one cut me off like when I used all the other lines like Tatsu, 100%, P or Sun lines!
The reel is a size 30 because of the more fluid drag from the larger arbor spool as well as the higher gear ratio for line retrieve.
As far the Hooks I like to use a 1/0 offset like the Trapper Tackle, or 1/0 round bend offset hook because of the smaller diameter and better penetration. Keep in mind that light of wire will straiten out if you horse the fish...it's not a flippin stick or 20 pound line so I don't horse the fish!
Pick your plastic, I like Reaction Innovations but that's just me.
So that's my 2 cents worth I hope that helps, have fun!
Bassmonkey1980 wrote:with the Ca delta bass fishiing season right around the corner what is your favorite drop shot set up for ca delta, spinning or baitcasting line hooks baits ext and why? thanks western bass
thanks ive always thrown a spin rod but hear lot of guys using baitcaster and bubba shotting i guess its preference.
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Bassmonkey1980 wrote:with the Ca delta bass fishiing season right around the corner what is your favorite drop shot set up for ca delta, spinning or baitcasting line hooks baits Weights ext and why? thanks western bass
I don't use a spinning rod to drop shot in the Delta as I usually dont have enough line out. I am usually fishing in 3-4 foot of water and making short flips to tule clumps or weed lines close to the boat. I use a 7'-3 Med-Hvy Loomis rod with a fast tip and a bait casting reel. 16 lb Sniper Fluorocarbon. I use a Trokar Lt Wire 3/0 or 4/0 hook with a bait keeper and rig usually a 6" or 7" roboworm weedless..... 3/8 to 1/2 oz tungsten. To each their own, but constantly flipping and retrieving the bait just throttles and twists my line with a spinning reel, and I am not a fan of light line leaders especially if you have 15 ft of line out when you hook up. Everyone has their preferences, but I am more of a "bubba drop shotter" in the Delta. Reservoirs and lakes the opposite...... spinning rods and 8 lb flouro.