Lowrance CARBON...BUG?

Moderator: Ken Sauret

Francyse

Lowrance CARBON...BUG?

Post by Francyse »

Hello. I’m Francesco from Italy.
i would like to tell what’s its happening win Lowrance.

i have an HDS GEN III 7” which work with TOTALSCAN transducer. I got it about 10 months ago and I am satisfied with it.

About 2 weeks ago I decided to upgrade my system buying the HDS CARBON 7”. I thought to keep my totalscan transducer. I convince one of my friend who wanted a new echo to pass from raymarine to lowrance. He decided to buy HDS CARBON 7” with totalscan transducer, so we made unique order.

Both of us are finding lot of problem on HDS CARBON. In particular, Ping rate and scrolling velocity slowly very much under 15 meters of bottom. At 25 meters, carbon work too bad, too slow ping and too slow window scrolling, indipendente from frequency used (medium vs high chirp). Note that both carbon are updated to last software and pingrate I set max.
On 5-10 meters bottom carbon work ok, no problem, but under 15 meters he stops to work fine...it seems like a software problem or a bug with totalscan trasdncuer.
This happen on both totalscan transducer! And if I mount my old gen iii...it works perfectly!!!

I called LOWRANCE and they send another carbon to try...result: identical same problem!!

So they said that it is probably a serious software problem on carbon if it is working on totalscan transducer. C9mpared to gen III...his performances are really bad.
so they wanted all 3 carbon back to make some test........they say it is first time they here this but they recognize it is a really big problem.

now, my question is: it happens only to me???? I can not believe I discover this bug...does anyone has compare performance of carbon vs gen iii with totalscan in 20-25 meters of water????

Let me know!!!

thaks
Ken Sauret

Re: Lowrance CARBON...BUG?

Post by Ken Sauret »

I have a couple Carbons on my boat with no problems at all. I don't run the totalscan ducer so it may be a software issue between those two components. I run an HDI ducer on the trolling motor and a Structure Scan 3D on the rear connected to the console. No problems. If there is a software conflict, I'm sure they will figure it out when they get your Carbon units in their service center.
Ken Sauret
Lowrance Pro Staff
Lowrance http://www.lowrance.com/
Yamamoto https://store.baits.com/home
Dobyns Rods http://www.dobynsrods.com/
Yamaha http://www.yamaha-motor.com/
Personal Web Site http://kensbassfishing.weebly.com/
Marc

Post by Marc »

Did you program your Carbon with the transducer model number (pages, settings, sonar, installation)? Not sure there even is a TotalScan choice yet.

Also set the Mode to "Freshwater" or "Shallow Water Mode".

Most anglers who buy the Carbons use other transducers and not the TotalScan, which may explain why not many have the problem you have experienced.

ciao,
Marc
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
Francyse

Post by Francyse »

Thanks so much Marc for your post, and sorry for my delay.
I did everything you told me..also changing fishing mode...

Actually my carbon....is still at the italian navice service point...unbelievable.
They can only say that there is a software bug but they are waiting for lowrance to get solved it out...

unbelivable that. I paid for it 3 month ago and i',m not still using it...but the worst thing is that I CANNOT KNOW when this problem will be solved out!

I think most angler use it up than 15 meters depth..so they did not experienced it.

But it is really unbelievable that i cannot use a so much expensive product cause it has a software bug. I hope lowrance will recognize my disappoint and discomfort that all these situation is causing to me and they will refound it in any way...
For example i asked for 2 days of vacation for bring my dad out for fishing...and i had to stay home cause my device is locked into service point....really disappointed...
Marc wrote:Did you program your Carbon with the transducer model number (pages, settings, sonar, installation)? Not sure there even is a TotalScan choice yet.

Also set the Mode to "Freshwater" or "Shallow Water Mode".

Most anglers who buy the Carbons use other transducers and not the TotalScan, which may explain why not many have the problem you have experienced.

ciao,
Marc
Francyse

Post by Francyse »

Hi Ken,
yes...it's a software issue between this 2 compenents....
unbelivable.
see my prevuious post to read what's happening to me..

thanksfor your reply!
Ken Sauret wrote:I have a couple Carbons on my boat with no problems at all. I don't run the totalscan ducer so it may be a software issue between those two components. I run an HDI ducer on the trolling motor and a Structure Scan 3D on the rear connected to the console. No problems. If there is a software conflict, I'm sure they will figure it out when they get your Carbon units in their service center.