The old square living rubber

jiggin4bass

The old square living rubber

Post by jiggin4bass »

I just found some old square living rubber i had pack away about 1/2 pound i was tying jigs and i was looking for one of my color in my shop cabinet and found it wrap up and still good so i tied some puffball jigs with crinkle flashabou
Oh how i wish they would bring that flat square rubber back again the year was 1985 was the start. I tied up a dozen of them in different style heads now i cant wait to fish them :D
hydro

Re: The old square living rubber

Post by hydro »

Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

That stuff was awesome! I caught a 9lb spot and an 8lb largemouth on the same rubber back when I still had some. Someone should definitely bring it back!
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

I know fishingskirts has it they have already sent me and email this morning i will be buying all there colors.Tying this flat square rubber in reg jigs or the puffball jig its is best old school jig material it was great for making mop jigs that was another old school jig we made back in the late 70s and 80s 3/4oz. arkie
head w/ light wire 5/0 or 6/0 hook 11 strand fiberguard and 7" skirts and old big daddy pork im going to start doing this again
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Some of this old school flat rubber is available but hard to find. I tested a bunch last summer because I'm getting ready to launch a line of hand tied jigs. I tested all the brands of flat rubber that I could find and they did not hold up. The rubber rotted very quickly. I loved the old flat rubber and I still have a bunch I tie jigs with. It lasts forever but all the new stuff I tested was junk. There could be some I missed but I put a lot of effort into this because I believed the flat rubber to be the best myself.

I will be launching a full jig line but I used a combination of Silicon and fine round rubber to get the desired "life like" action and colors needed. These are all hand tied with Gammy hooks. Be available in about 30 days from now.
hydro

Post by hydro »

the original old rubber 70's -80's was lubed with talcum powder (from what I remember) for cutting the slits for the strands . The later version 90's was impregnated with silicone as a lubricant for cutting the strand slits . The silicone impregnated rubber seems to last a lot longer without the rotting that was common with the original stuff .
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Gary are you doing all the tying yourself
lol. I did it full time as a hobby from 1977 to 2007 lol The shop is closed.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

I tie for myself still. I'm not the fastest :) I will not be tying for production. I'm to slow :)
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

It still fun to do for myself but now i can fish more i just got a really nice little 78 monark with and 80 hp merc for eastman and hensley lakes and i can bowl in more tournaments now also.