Almost lost my life and a rod and reel at Clear lake

jrl9436

Almost lost my life and a rod and reel at Clear lake

Post by jrl9436 »

Well almost lost my life today. I did lose a sentimental rod and real. Today I loss my balance and fell in the water at clear lake just east of Rocky point. A reminder to always have your vest on even when the big motor is off . With my cold weather clothing on made for a hard swim just to keep my head above water let alone get in the boat. I lost a g Loomis gl3 with a blue diewa reel with a twitch bar. The rod and reel was my first jig fish set up and my first rod and reel that ment alot to me :( . If you find it we can work something out please as a reminder keep your vest on at all times. My wife and kids almost lost a lot more than a rod and reel today because I was lazy for one min. Tight lines to all. If by any chane the rod and reel make it to shore please call 7072178709
Last edited by jrl9436 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jboutfishn

Re: Almost lost my life and a rod and reel at Clear lake

Post by Jboutfishn »

Good news you made it back in the boat. Bad news you lost a nice rig.
I am 76 and ALWAYS wear my jacket, this time of the year on Shasta my concern is the cold water, hypothermia is ugly. A guy was found floating in the upper Sacramento arm earlier this week. He was wearing a jacket.

I never gave it much thought but I lost a nice Lamaglass rod with a Shimano Citica reel in Hirtz Bay this spring. Went back when water was down but never found it. Good luck with yours.
jrl9436

Post by jrl9436 »

Thanks for the well wish it was crazy lesson to learn
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

jrl9436 wrote:Thanks for the well wish it was crazy lesson to learn
Glad to hear you made it back safe and sound.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

sorry for your loss and i am glad you made it back to the boat. I have been on a boat where a guy went over in full bibs the cold water shocks the muscles, you weigh twice as much and lose energy very quickly. It took us using the outboard trim and all of my strength to pull him aboard. Then the fight against hypothermia begins, be safe out there at all times. I dont wear my vest during normal fishing situations but when she gets rockin and rollin i do. Also I'll keep an eye out for your rig, it would be cool if someone with an aquaview could go out with you to find it.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
TRIXGOTAFISH

Post by TRIXGOTAFISH »

Wow glad you are home safe!

I've always thought about what would happen if you fell out and getting back in seems like the most important part but what happens when you're soaking wet and cold and still have a long way back???

Good idea to always have a spare set of dry clothes and a bath towel in the boat i guess.
jrl9436

Post by jrl9436 »

I will now have a change of warm sweats and hot packs always in the boat with me just f or this. I have the location marked on my lowrance for next time to see if the water is clear it's only 15ft or so in the area.
jrl9436

Post by jrl9436 »

I will now have a change of warm sweats and hot packs always in the boat with me just f or this. I have the location marked on my lowrance for next time to see if the water is clear it's only 15ft or so in the area.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Thanks for sharing this and glad you are safe. Wearing a PFD at all times when the water is cold is just good practice. Especially true when fishing solo. I am also very "Anti" snow mobile suits. There was a fellow that drowned right in big break marina (the old Hook) a number of years back. He was wearing a snowmobile suit with no PFD. If I remember, his kids were in the boat with him and could not get him back in the boat. Maybe some Delta guys remember the specifics of this tragedy. Those heavy clothes easily double your weight. I also recommend having a boarding ladder installed on your boat. These newer boats with the hidden emergency ladder are great!

For cold weather fishing I bought something like this a long time ago and just used it last week-end. It's a little bulky but I am used to it now. Keeps me warm with layers under it and I know it will float me if I go in the water.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Onyx-Flotati ... t/35913063
T-Pro

Post by T-Pro »

Happy to hear you made it back in the boat. I fish solo a lot and this time of year I always wear an inflatable PFD. Thing is, how can you be sure they will inflate if it is needed?
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

T-Pro wrote:Happy to hear you made it back in the boat. I fish solo a lot and this time of year I always wear an inflatable PFD. Thing is, how can you be sure they will inflate if it is needed?
Thought has crossed my mind. In warmer weather I wear an inflatable. For the colder times, I bought a 3X PFD and wear it over my jacket.
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

T-Pro wrote:Happy to hear you made it back in the boat. I fish solo a lot and this time of year I always wear an inflatable PFD. Thing is, how can you be sure they will inflate if it is needed?
I wear one too. I'ts reinforced by this gentleman's testimony of survival, thank you Lord, but especially after hearing how Gary Dobyn's almost lost his life not wearing one fishing solo, scary. Then again, anything can fail, but what's the odds of it helping if you're NOT wearing it?
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
Kyle46N

Post by Kyle46N »

Something else important to mention is that each fisherman/woman is honest with themselves in regard to their own strength and conditioning. Falling out of a boat, and "pulling" yourself up out the water and into the boat, is not something you should assume you can do, especially if you cannot even do a pull-up or two. Add in the shock of the cold water, and REALLY consider whether you should have a life jacket on at all times in cold water conditions. I think it's easy to let this slip your mind when fishing, because.....well....it's fishing, and having strength is far from necessary to enjoy this hobby.
fasttimebob

Post by fasttimebob »

I have a bad knee and back and I dont fish without my PFD on. My kids and girlfriend make me promise to leave it on when I fish,alone or with someone.the auto inflates are so small it isnt worth fishing without it.