Calif licensed anglers fall by half ... More on Friday's bill to outlaw lead fishing weights

WB Staff

Calif licensed anglers fall by half ... More on Friday's bill to outlaw lead fishing weights

Post by WB Staff »

...California has seen the number of licensed anglers fall by half since 1984, from more than 2 million to barely 1 million who purchase annual licenses.

One big reason is declining opportunities — more waters closed to fishing in both the ocean and freshwater, fewer trout raised in state hatcheries and planted, and native species like steelhead and salmon that are in a tailspin.

Another big reason is expense. The cost of licenses and stamps rises every year, even though usually the fishing is worse. A person who fishes in both fresh and salt water can spend more than $100 annually on licenses, report cards and stamps.

And then there are regulations — tackle restrictions that can be baffling and seasons that are impossible to memorize.

Sometimes the obstacles are illogical, to the point where it seems the state is purposefully trying to make anglers throw up their hands and quit.

Such is the case with a bill introduced in the Assembly last week by, not surprisingly, a Democrat from the Bay Area whose district has almost no freshwater fishing. Assemblyman Bill Quirk, while not an expert on fishing, is doing somebody's bidding with a bill that would outlaw many lead fishing weights.

Assembly Bill 2787 was introduced Friday and quickly denounced by the California Sportfishing League.

"There is no science that justifies banning fishing weights found in nearly every California angler's tackle box," said Marko Mlikotin, executive director of the fishing organization. "Making fishing too costly and less accessible will have a devastating impact on the state's tourism industry and communities dependent on outdoor recreation for tax revenue and jobs."

It'll hurt areas like Butte County, not places like Quirk's district, which is why we hope Assemblymen James Gallagher, R-Yuba City, and Brian Dahle, R-Bieber, can talk some sense into the rest of the Legislature. The California Chamber of Commerce needs to speak up, too...

Read it all: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... torial-rdp
Attachments
lead weigh ban.jpg
AD

Re: Calif licensed anglers fall by half ... More on Friday's bill to outlaw lead fishing weights

Post by AD »

Were I live I just witnessed special interest, politician fishin first hand. They used stink bait called money. They ate it hook line and Led sinker. Works every time.
Otay Michael

Re: Calif licensed anglers fall by half ... More on Friday's bill to outlaw lead fishing weights

Post by Otay Michael »

Stop the Fishing Tackle Ban! Sign the Petition.

As it states "There is no science that justifies banning fishing weights found in nearly every California angler's tackle box. Increasing costs and regulations have had a devastating impact on the state's fishing participation rate, and funding for conservation programs dependent on fishing license sales"

AS usual, we need to send a message to our government officials that we think this is a stupid idea, and illogical.

I've signed the petition. please join me, here's the link, takes two seconds...
http://www.savefishing.com/stop-the-fis ... -petition/
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
AP

Post by AP »

sounds like more liberal BS
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I know a couple of guys that used to fish two or three times a year that no longer fish in the state of California due to the high cost of licenses. They can afford it they simply boycott out of principal. Bass fishing and watching my son play college football are my main hobbies, I'm not giving up either for now.
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

Petition Reminder