HDS carbon chirrp HST-WSBL transducer

Moderator: Ken Sauret

Abb

HDS carbon chirrp HST-WSBL transducer

Post by Abb »

hello
I just purchased a HDS 12 carbon 3d bundle. I am curious about the chirp function. to my understanding the HDS carbon has built in chirp processor in the unit. The bundle comes with a standard HST-WSBL 83/200 2D transducer. In order to get the best target separation I would need multiple frequencies witch to my understanding is multiple cone angles. I would like my transducer to be able to get the full range of frequencies up to 100 on high chirp. I looked at some of the transducers recommended by airmar and they aren't cheap. So my question is can I get the full range of frequencies from the lorance HST-WSBL or would I need a dedicated chirp transducer from airmar to get the most out of chirp. If I do have to get a airmar transducer is there a one that is reasonable price point that you could suggest. Also I fish the delta allot its shallow as you probably already know with the boat sitting in under 20 feet usually I would need the most widest cone angle. Most of the chirp screen shot I've seen are in depths 40+ feet so I don't know how much a small beam come would come to play in shallow applications. Thanks in advance for the insight fellas I GTG for now my credit card is still smoking
Abb

Re: HDS carbon chirrp HST-WSBL transducer

Post by Abb »

here is a video comparing 2 different chirp transducers witch initially sparked my curiosity
Edd

Post by Edd »

If you want to take full advantage of the CHIRP feature in your Carbons you will need something like the Airmar TM185c-HW which is a dedicated CHIRP transducer using the 150-250 kHz band. Also gives you a sweet WIDE 25* cone angle. I have installed many of these and NO complaints so far. I use this also in the Delta/Sac River area and love it.
If you need something less pricey you should look at the Airmar TM150 which, while not a comparison to the TM185, will give you much better results that the OEM 83/200 transducer.

Let me add that you also need to install the newest Carbon update that was released yesterday.

Edd
Abb

Post by Abb »

How many cone angles dose the stock pen transducer use. I would like the one you suggested however 900+ dollars is a lot. I would sure like something that will justify that expensive of a transducer. I think I should of got the carbon 9 then the extra 1000 for the dedicated chirp.
Abb

Post by Abb »

How wide of a cone angle does the inexpensive dedicated chirp transducer have
Edd

Post by Edd »

Don't misunderstand 'cone angle' for 'frequency', or 'frequency band'.
Each xdcr has a cone angle for the crystal, and the most common are 6, 8, 12, 20, and a wide 25.
I am not positive what cone angle the TM150 has, but, the other factor to consider is 'wattage' or 'power'. Most OEM transducers are 300 watt. Aftermarket, Airmar, transducer are available from 300 watt to 2000 watts of power. The TM185c-HW is a 1000 watt dedicated CHIRP transducer where the TM150 is considerably less in power.

You can visit the Airmar website a look at each transducer available for the sonar machines you own.
www.airmartechnology.com .
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Edd,
What exactly is CHIRP?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Abb

Post by Abb »

With a higher wattage xducer would it need amplification or dose it draw more power off my battery? Is the higher wattage needed in shallow water? I would like to get the most frequency range for the best high chirp. Looking at the screen shots I defiantly agree that the wide angle is needed for shallow water. How do you feel about the Spotlight or the DSI transducer as a cheaper alternative. The tm150m has a medium cone angle witch has a smaller beam dose anyone know the frequencys of the dsi or spotlight

http://www.airmar.com/productinfo.html? ... ransducers
Abb

Post by Abb »

When my Gen 2 touch unit be able to utilize the chirp function that is built into my carbon unit doing my Nema or ethernet Network.