Getting A Boat On Casitas

Jboutfishn

Getting A Boat On Casitas

Post by Jboutfishn »

I am assuming a strict inspection protocol but was wondering if is there a quarantine period?

Jim
mark poulson

Re: Getting A Boat On Casitas

Post by mark poulson »

Last time I checked, there was a 10 day quarantine. You go to the lake, have your boat inspected and cabled, and then wait another 10 days before you can fish.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Wrknap

Post by Wrknap »

The last time I tried to get on the lake it was a 30 day quarantine. Something tells me this isn’t going to change... needless to say... I haven’t been able to fish the lake....
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

It is the most extremely outlandish inspection you will ever go through. Make your boat as clean as is physically possible...not a stray plastic worm, not a leaf, not even a rust stain in the fiberglass that could only be ground out or you will be free to wait 30 days and try the inspection again. Those three instances I mentioned got folks tossed. They will blow compressed air through your motor...one drop of water and your toast for 30 days. If your boat gets damp from fog your toast...Just figure you are trying to sell your boat...empty it of everything...clean and vacuum better than my wife does our house( probably not possible :lol: ) and you might get through the process. Good luck! And I hope you get through on the first try or the spawn will be over before you do get through the process a second time.

Rip

P.S.
I say no rust because I took my boat off the lake a few years back to guide on Cachuma and it has a rust stain in the fiberglass where the former owner left a pair of pliers in a compartment(apparently for years). Even though the boat was waxed/clean/and dry I was failed on that point. When I came back a month later Ranger Rob(It's a shame he is now gone) did my inspection when I passed I waited until I had my paperwork before I asked him about being failed on that point. His reply...You should have complained! Don't bother your at the mercy of the new staff who will also blow air through all of your LIVEWELLS . I don't know about your boat but my boats livewells are not carpeted and there is just the one with a divider but they blew air through my Livewells which were rod lockers etc. and then went to the rear of the boat to look for water...I damn near chewed my tongue off trying not to laugh over that one.
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Kelly Ripa wrote:It is the most extremely outlandish inspection you will ever go through. Make your boat as clean as is physically possible...not a stray plastic worm, not a leaf, not even a rust stain in the fiberglass that could only be ground out or you will be free to wait 30 days and try the inspection again. Those three instances I mentioned got folks tossed. They will blow compressed air through your motor...one drop of water and your toast for 30 days. If your boat gets damp from fog your toast...Just figure you are trying to sell your boat...empty it of everything...clean and vacuum better than my wife does our house( probably not possible :lol: ) and you might get through the process. Good luck! And I hope you get through on the first try or the spawn will be over before you do get through the process a second time.

Rip

P.S.
I say no rust because I took my boat off the lake a few years back to guide on Cachuma and it has a rust stain in the fiberglass where the former owner left a pair of pliers in a compartment(apparently for years). Even though the boat was waxed/clean/and dry I was failed on that point. When I came back a month later Ranger Rob(It's a shame he is now gone) did my inspection when I passed I waited until I had my paperwork before I asked him about being failed on that point. His reply...You should have complained! Don't bother your at the mercy of the new staff who will also blow air through all of your LIVEWELLS . I don't know about your boat but my boats livewells are not carpeted and there is just the one with a divider but they blew air through my Livewells which were rod lockers etc. and then went to the rear of the boat to look for water...I damn near chewed my tongue off trying not to laugh over that one.
Man, it sounds like it's worse than a nasty divorce now!
CLEAN AND DRY
WRB

Post by WRB »

Last year it was 35 days the time the local ranger considers the life span of guagga mussel spores.
1 drop of water anywhere will fail you! I lowered my engine and started it dry to blow out any water in the pump, went to the lake and failed when the ranger blew his compressed air into the water pump intake ports and a drop of water hit his paper towel on the opposite side. I argued his air tank hand condensation in it and lost that debate.
When you fail inspection you must call to get another appointment and wait unit they call you back in a few weeks.
Tom
PS, are they launching at the coyote steel plate mud ramp now?
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

We have been at Coyote for about 9 months or so after the 13 feet of water and mud we got last year. I expect with the rain totals expected in the next few days that we will exceed the mud and water that we got last year. The Thomas fire burned up 92% of the watershed and we are experiencing unprecedented erosion. It's what happens when your in a stage 3 drought and burn up 440 sq. miles. They will of course have been caught with their pants down and it will be some time before we are able to launch again.

Mark> The water board is content with it's lackluster attempts at keeping US safe from Quaggas by flaunting science and intelligence. There are a multitude of tournaments and spin off tournaments ongoing now so they are making money. They added a mini water park a few years back that is fine if you like to float around in circles in a urine soaked kiddy pool.It's business as usual here in SoCal...I envy your move to NorCal and look forward to my retirement(years off) when I can get back to my roots up that way.

Rip
LET'S GO BRANDON
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Kelly Ripa wrote:We have been at Coyote for about 9 months or so after the 13 feet of water and mud we got last year. I expect with the rain totals expected in the next few days that we will exceed the mud and water that we got last year. The Thomas fire burned up 92% of the watershed and we are experiencing unprecedented erosion. It's what happens when your in a stage 3 drought and burn up 440 sq. miles. They will of course have been caught with their pants down and it will be some time before we are able to launch again.

Mark> The water board is content with it's lackluster attempts at keeping US safe from Quaggas by flaunting science and intelligence. There are a multitude of tournaments and spin off tournaments ongoing now so they are making money. They added a mini water park a few years back that is fine if you like to float around in circles in a urine soaked kiddy pool.It's business as usual here in SoCal...I envy your move to NorCal and look forward to my retirement(years off) when I can get back to my roots up that way.

Rip
I'll keep the light on for you. :wink:
CLEAN AND DRY
Devon8604

Post by Devon8604 »

all of this sounds like a complete waste of time...is the fishing there that great?
WRB

Post by WRB »

Last rain cycle we had lots of rain, before the Thomas fire, the reason the powers to be decided against deverting Ventura river water into the lake (to fill it) the excuse was trees and brush had grown in the deversion channel and local environmentalist stopped them because birds where nesting. Keep in mind this was the same excuse given 2 years ago when asked why the ramp wasn't moved to the end of arrow island where the original marina was located, they said the top of the island had birds nesting that prevented making a parking area.
After the fire no Ventura water was deverted becuase it was too turbid because of burn debris. So the lake is down to 35% full pool.
Haven't been up the lake this year due to health issues, understand the fishing has been decent, not like it was when full.
Tom
Note, launching at the mud ramp, when you go home stop by the local power spray wash to clean off the trailer and boat bottom.
PS, Kelly you may want to follow Dobyns to Texas!
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

We don't have much in the way of choice in SoCal Devon8604. Is the fishing that great? It pales in comparison to it's former glories...I can remember like yesterday when "Schools" of 8 pounders would follow my punker. Newman catching 28 fish in a row over 8 pounds. Sadly those days are gone with the lakes closure/reopening and the largely eliminated trout stockings that used to be almost weekly. Fishing has been largely off and on this year. Sometimes I catch'm good sometimes not so good. The fish changed were they were staging from last year and the seem to prefer bedding deeper and and on stone and rock vs. the backs of the coves at present. I figure it's their adjustment to the falling water. Lack of sunlight has been good for me this year.
Rip

The wife won't even consider Texas but I grew up on Clear Lake and hope it's not as messed up as Socal when I can go back HOME. Thanks Mark but I always seem to have to much on my plate to travel and fish now days...It's tough enough being a weekend warrior as something isn't going to get done and if I'm off chasing fish the list gets longer not shorter. :wink:
LET'S GO BRANDON
Devon8604

Post by Devon8604 »

Kelly Ripa wrote:We don't have much in the way of choice in SoCal Devon8604. Is the fishing that great? It pales in comparison to it's former glories...I can remember like yesterday when "Schools" of 8 pounders would follow my punker. Newman catching 28 fish in a row over 8 pounds. Sadly those days are gone with the lakes closure/reopening and the largely eliminated trout stockings that used to be almost weekly. Fishing has been largely off and on this year. Sometimes I catch'm good sometimes not so good. The fish changed were they were staging from last year and the seem to prefer bedding deeper and and on stone and rock vs. the backs of the coves at present. I figure it's their adjustment to the falling water. Lack of sunlight has been good for me this year.
Rip

The wife won't even consider Texas but I grew up on Clear Lake and hope it's not as messed up as Socal when I can go back HOME. Thanks Mark but I always seem to have to much on my plate to travel and fish now days...It's tough enough being a weekend warrior as something isn't going to get done and if I'm off chasing fish the list gets longer not shorter. :wink:
I can appreciate the limited resources for great fishing lakes in SoCal. I personally have never fished any SoCal lakes so my knowledge is limited to horror stories of lakes infested with Quagga and Zebra mussels. You would think with the incredible weather patterns of SoCal at least a couple great lakes still exist. CL is my normal fishing spot so you can say i'm a little spoiled. Honestly having to wait 30 days to go fishing would drive me insane!