Delta, 29 Mar 2018

Kyle46N

Delta, 29 Mar 2018

Post by Kyle46N »

Wow....today was a day of mixed emotions. On one hand I'm ecstatic, caught a 25 lb bag. On the other hand, I feel like a failure, as I only caught 6 fish after seeing................hundreds. Just so happened 5 of them were 5 pounders. Hundreds of fish........you guessed it, beds everywhere. Fish are getting their groove on in full force. It seems like they are just getting on the beds, as I saw many fish still "courting". Male's chasing females in the shallows, then 30 minutes later they settle down on a a bed. Saw numerous fish just floating withing 10 yards of spawning shoreline, getting ready to move in. And ultimately, they were very skittish. Didn't seem to be locked on at all. I was spooking fish left and right. The 6 I caught just didn't see me coming. I "thought" I saw a bed from a distance, pitched the bubba rig and got lucky 6 times over the course of 8 hours. I guess that's why I feel like a failure...lol....I failed ALOT! I caught them all on the bubba rig with an oxblood 6 inch roboworm. Not sure the color mattered. I saw water temps up to 63 degrees. Mostly around 60. This was my first opportunity to see a Delta spawn. I've never seen anything like it. I've been on lakes in the southeast where there are fish on beds everywhere.......BUT I could not have counted the number of 4-6 lb fish I saw even if I tried. Absolutely incredible fishery. And to think in my short time here in Cali, I've heard numerous Delta pro's state that the Delta is not what it used to be. I can't imagine what it used to be. Anyhow, I'm psyched to see the bags that come from the tournaments this weekend. Those fish are only going to get more aggressive every day.
TRIXGOTAFISH

Re: Delta, 29 Mar 2018

Post by TRIXGOTAFISH »

Would never call that outing a "failure"!

Thanks for the report and hope those big girls keep on biting for everyone out there......
HrdHookSets

Post by HrdHookSets »

25lb wow I would be super juiced with a bag like that I went out with a guy on Wednesday and we had combined maybe 15lb bag but still had fun love being on the water
“Hooked Up On The Stern”
Tymelostent@icloud.com
Kyle46N

Post by Kyle46N »

I guess the backdrop, beds and big fish everywhere, changed the perception to putting five 5 pounders in the boat. I think it's as simple as I just saw a bunch of 5 pound fish, so catching a few didn't seem crazy. If I put that bag in the boat in the summer by punching, flipping, frogging.....I would be psyched. It would feel like I earned it. Thanks for the compliments though! I definitely enjoyed the day!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Good for you!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

I was out Saturday and couldn't see anything in that muddy water. The clearer water I did find had muck bottoms and no fish. You done good if you found an area that was clear and held the numbers of fish that you say.
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Whoopbass wrote:I was out Saturday and couldn't see anything in that muddy water. The clearer water I did find had muck bottoms and no fish. You done good if you found an area that was clear and held the numbers of fish that you say.
I was also out Saturday..... Mildred, Old River, Middle River and around Disco and there was about 12" visibility and saw zero fish. Was a slow bite to boot. Kyle seems to be finding the fish.