Fishing CA Delta April 14/15

AKBASSFISHING

Fishing CA Delta April 14/15

Post by AKBASSFISHING »

California Delta 4/14/2018 – 4/15/2018
Water Temp 60 - 62
Visibility 1 – 3 feet
Wind 5 – 10 mph (4/14) – 8 – 18 mph (4/15)

My Father and I fished the Yamamoto Big Bass Challenge this weekend. Overall, a fun and exciting event that drew a decent crowd.

(4/14)
With adrenaline and coffee powering our bodies, we made our way to the launch ramp. We put in the water at around 5:30 in the morning and were set to fish at 5:50. With light just starting to peek over the horizon, we made the run to our first spot.

In previous weeks, this spot had proven very fruitful; a nice spawning flat. With the tide dropping out, we prepared to wreak havoc, but the fish had other ideas. After burning precious hours, a three pounder on a Senko is all we could muster.

With the tide quickly falling and our spot being hammered by multiple boats, my father called an audible. He decided to hit our next spot earlier than we planned to be there. With haste, we flew to our next spot.

(You know we had gone fast when you look at the motor and have about a hundred dead bugs on it haha)

We arrived at the spot with renewed hope. Not even five minutes at the spot, I got a light tick. I reeled down and slowly swept the rod across my chest; the fish didn’t move when I hooked her. Suddenly, she pulled back.

“Get the net!”, I grunted.

With the fish fast approaching the boat, my father swiftly grabbed the net and put it over the side. As I brought her next to the boat, she proceeded to jump about a foot in the air. With speed and precision, my father caught her mid-air. In the boat, we could see she inhaled the Senko and the Tsuyoi Weedless Wacky Hook pinned her securely with minimal effort.

With a good fish in the boat and the last hour remaining, we ran back to weigh her.

At the scale, she weighed 6.08; good enough for the first seat. We had arrived with 15 minutes left in the hour, but the last five minutes had been the longest I had ever experienced. In the end, she held up.

Happy with the day, we prepared for the following day.

(4/15)
The clouds and slight breeze blew over the delta. An epic day was in the brewing, but as the hours passed, those thoughts quickly evaporated. Reaction baits got short strikes and the slow presentations got bit, but not the correct quality we needed.

With the low tide and the the wind making an appearance, our bite had come and gone. Before we knew it, time was up.

Thankful we had got it done the previous day, we headed in. To be able to participate in the final 12 was a cool experience.

Met some cool people and had a blast at the event. Thank you to everyone who made it possible and also to my father who made the last minute call that saved the day.

Notes:

The bass are in all three stages of the spawn. You still have some pre-spawners, spawners, and post-spawners. Pick your poison when chasing them.

Fishing slow was the main key to getting bit. The reaction baits got lots of short strikes, might be switching over to a crankbait soon.

These fish are also getting hammered right now, so thinking outside the box may be the key to getting that extra bite.
Attachments
20180414_134834_HDR (3).jpg
bluehobiebasser

Re: Fishing CA Delta April 14/15

Post by bluehobiebasser »

Nice fish! Congrats on a the tourney winnings. Great write up.