Fishing CA Delta April 23

AKBASSFISHING

Fishing CA Delta April 23

Post by AKBASSFISHING »

California Delta 4/23/2018

Water Temp 63 – 67
Visibility 2 – 4 ft
Wind 6 – 11 mph

Launched around 6:30 in the morning. A steady western breeze put a nice ripple on the water. A frog/buzzbait combination yielded no results, even though conditions were ideal. We switched to chatterbaits and spinnerbaits and got some small males to go on them.

With the tide quickly coming in, we moved to a large spawning flat hoping to find some females moving up to spawn. To our surprise, we ran into a nice school of stripers. My father hooked into a 10 pound striper on a white swimbait, which put a good bend in his rod. I proceeded to cast my chatterbait and had the biggest striper I’ve seen on the delta, follow my bait. This beast could have easily gone 40+ pounds. A true monster. But, as soon the school appeared, they vanished.

After switching back, we started to throw Senkos in the areas we knew had beds. You could tell the weekend crew had done some damage, hundreds of empty beds; kinda sad to see that happen. We proceeded down the bank and managed some small males, but nothing more.

Finding the bite increasingly more difficult, we started cranking some rip-rap and found a fun crankbait bite. Again, nothing big, but still fun.

By the afternoon, the tide had dropped way out and the wind had subsided. After a short run, we stopped at another spawning flat (this one seemed to not be fished so bad as the other). Tossing the Senko combined with the Tsuyoi Weedless Wacky Hook and punch shot produced a good number of solid fish. After an hour or so, we had a decent limit of fish, but nothing to brag about haha.

With the gnats and humidity getting to an uncomfortable point, we called it a day and headed back.

Notes

With fishing pressure at an all time high and the water starting to clear, these fish are becoming increasingly spooky. Get away from sight fishing, back off a bit, and fan-cast your water.

Slow presentations caught us the better fish, Senkos and Punch shots got the better bites.

If you are new to the fishing game and want to get bit, getting a craw pattern crankbait and burning down the rocks will get ya bit (generally smaller fish, but still fun).

Lastly, the Delta is a very special place and we want to preserve this fishery, that means clean up after yourself (don’t toss garbage or line in the water) and always try to practice catch and release.
Attachments
20180423_102842_HDR (2).jpg
Freefall

Re: Fishing CA Delta April 23

Post by Freefall »

Well said and solid info.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
BigBassDaddy1190

Post by BigBassDaddy1190 »

I would attribute those empty beds to those specific fish already spawning and moving out.

Another full moon on the way, should be another wave of dish staging right now. I think the staging areas outside of spawning areas would’ve produced nicely for you guys. This full moon combined with this weather I think will be damn good.

Nice report as always!!
Bassfishman

Post by Bassfishman »

I was out on the Delta on Monday 4/23 too. I thought the conditions were ideal too and I fished the same things you mentioned, but I couldnt find the fish at all - I got a big S K U N K O even on the Senkos (not even a couple male dinks). I think you are right, the weekend tourneys did the beds in and the fish were in shock or havent found their way back home yet. Still good to get out though.

Youre right we need to take care of this fishery. Return your spawning fish to the beds. Take your trash and used line home. Have fun and be careful. I did see a few pretty solid stick up branches that I had never seen before and they were out in the waterways in places I had never seen them before. So be on the lookout when you are travelling.
Danahalsat

Post by Danahalsat »

And what bait would you advise to use for a salmon fishing? I’m thinking about these options https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-bass-lures/. Good answer will really help me! :roll: thanks
Last edited by Danahalsat on Tue May 01, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bustout

Post by bustout »

I think what is worse is seeing sea lions go thru spawning areas and eating/killing fish. I saw one last week pick up 3 bass within my sight....one looked over 5lb
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

bustout wrote:I think what is worse is seeing sea lions go thru spawning areas and eating/killing fish. I saw one last week pick up 3 bass within my sight....one looked over 5lb

I saw the same thing. It's heartbreaking to watch.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
jeff bradshaw

Post by jeff bradshaw »

I think the sea lions are hurting the fishery more than people realize especially this time of year. Last weekend half the spots I wanted to fish all had sea lions on them up shallow, one spot had 2 actually. There's only so many bass in the river - the more of em' they eat the less there are for us to catch :x
monte300

Post by monte300 »

jeff bradshaw wrote:I think the sea lions are hurting the fishery more than people realize especially this time of year. Last weekend half the spots I wanted to fish all had sea lions on them up shallow, one spot had 2 actually. There's only so many bass in the river - the more of em' they eat the less there are for us to catch :x
God only knows how many pounds of fish these sea lions must eat daily to maintain their schoolgirl figures.....