First World Problem

hydrophonix

First World Problem

Post by hydrophonix »

I will start this out by saying I have no ill will toward the dealer or manufacturer and I hope to be able to recommend them in the future. I ordered and put a sizeable deposit on a boat on 3/14 from a reputable dealer in Norcal and was told at the time that it should be 2 weeks before it would arrive. I put a larger than normal deposit because I believed the boat would be delivered in a few weeks. A few days after my deposit cleared I got an email from the dealer stating that the ship date from the factory would be 4/23 and that while he hoped that to be true, he has seen those dates be pushed back by as much as 2 weeks. I called the factory on 4/23 and was told that the boat was still being built. I received an email from the dealer yesterday showing the load schedule from the factory. It shows that my boat is currently load eligible with a projected load date of 5/14 and projected delivery date of 5/17. So that will be more than 9 weeks from the order date if it comes on the projected date. Again, I have no ill will towards the dealer and I realize that ordering a boat takes time, but this is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I just want to get some thoughts if any one feels like commenting. If the dealer had told me up front that it could be 6-8 weeks, I wouldn't have been sweating it for all these weeks. I wouldn't have put such a large deposit. I also would have considered buying one that was in stock had I known I would have missed all of April and most of May for the fishing. To be fair, the sale has not been completed and so the dealer may very well have something in mind to address the very long wait. Am I justified in hoping that the dealer will address this to improve my buying experience or is this normal and I am overreacting? Thanks WB!
WAUTE

Re: First World Problem

Post by WAUTE »

If this was a custom order, built to your options/specs, then 6-8 weeks is not a wait.... Get fired up! I know I would be...Congrats by the way!
basshol

Post by basshol »

I had a custom order done. It was supposed to take 4 weeks it took 10. A dealer can't make the manufacturer work any faster. I had custom colors done and I am very pleased with how it turned out. I also ordered in April and received in May.I believe it has to do with tax return time. Just more boats ordered at this time.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

for the dealer to say 2-4 weeks to get a custom boat is irresponsible IMO. Back in 2000 I ordered a custom Triton from Galaxy Marine in Auburn and I forget what they said regarding delivery? In those days there were hardly any Triton's in Nor-Cal and they were built in Ashland Tennessee. It took 8 weeks for the boat to be built and delivered and because I chose Evinrude, it took another week and a half to get the engine because OMC was having financial difficulties.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

SOP on ordering a boat is usually 8-10 weeks depending on time of year......and that's pretty much true for just about all mtg...I suspect someone wasn't being quite transparent or just didn't know. Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
hydrophonix

Post by hydrophonix »

Thanks for the responses. It looks like standard wait time on a custom order is 8-10 weeks. No harm no foul. While I wish the dealer had told me that in the beginning, it really is not a big deal. Thanks again WB!
monte300

Post by monte300 »

hydrophonix wrote:Thanks for the responses. It looks like standard wait time on a custom order is 8-10 weeks. No harm no foul. While I wish the dealer had told me that in the beginning, it really is not a big deal. Thanks again WB!
I come from a school where I would try to leverage something free from the dealership for your trouble. I remember Galaxy wasn't quick to throw in two nice looking red $75 each Triton lifejackets. I shamed them into it. Just for perspective my 2000 TR19 with a 175 Evinrude Ficht, 82 pound thrust Minn-Kota, two built-in Lowrance graphs and a CD player was $30,500 out the door. What would a comparable boat cost now WB fans, $45K?