Swimbait Smallmouth

ttb31183

Swimbait Smallmouth

Post by ttb31183 »

After my last trip to Long Lake where largemouth dominated my tournament, I decided to target largemouth for the bigger portion of the day.

It started off rainy and made me think it would be a great day for reaction baits. I tried and tried shallow and came up empty-handed. I did catch one really nice one over 4lbs, but it was on a bed, so not much learned this trip.

My cousin was with me and I wanted to get him some fish at least so we went smallmouth fishing. I caught several on a drop-shot but got bored of the little ones so I picked up the Optimum Boom Boom swimbait. I had just heard Fred Roumbanis talk about how to fish the bait and how you need to fish it with a bow in your line. The slack in the line is a strike indicator and also, more importantly, it keeps the bait moving slowly and at just the right speed.

I threw it for about thirty minutes before I connected with this 5.43lb smallie. We took pictures and I made a few more casts and caught one nearly 5lbs on it. I'm a believer in the bait for sure! Can't wait to try it again on my next trip out.
Tyler Brinks