Fishing CA Delta May 24

AKBASSFISHING

Fishing CA Delta May 24

Post by AKBASSFISHING »

California Delta 5/24/2018
Water Temp 70 - 73
Visibility 2 -4 ft
Wind 10 - 25 mph

Set in at around 9 this morning. Got a chance to fish with a cool guy, and some new water.

Again, the weather report called for wind (getting real tired of this wind), but the morning was pleasantly calm. At our first stop, the tide was way out. We located the outer most weedline, and proceeded to work it with topwater and chatterbaits. Picked a few fish off that way, but decided it was just too shallow.

We made another quick run and started to fish ledges on the main channel. Switching between drop-shot and a buzzbait; located some more small fish. It’s clear the fish have not yet reached these post-spawn areas. So making another move, we cranked the rocks. To no surprise, the fish were small again, but we found good numbers this way.

Attempting to find some bigger fish, we made another move to a large exposed flat. Almost instantly, I got two good strikes on the chatterbait, but missed both. They seemed to be just slapping it, rather than eating it. Sensing the fish did not want the chatterbait in the bright conditions, I switched to a craw crank and started to pick more fish up. My partner managed to hook into what looked to be a good three-pounder, but she came unbuttoned at the boat. That technique lasted for most of the day, but was very difficult with the wind.

Then we caught a break, the clouds started to roll in. I knew that this would cause them to start eating the chatterbait, we switched tactics again. Proceeded to fish down a large weedline, and the fish had started to feed. No more slapping the bait, but rather choking it. We managed some good fish with the largest going about 3.5 pounds.

We continued this pattern for the remainder of the day with mixed results. As the wind started to blow harder and the pleasure boats making an appearance, we called it a day.

Notes

The bite was oddly tough today. We found fish deep, on rocks, and in the weeds.

Quantity was not an issue today, but the quality was. The better fish ate reaction baits in low light. When the sun came out, drop-shot was all they would eat.

Chatterbaits, drop-shot, and crankbaits caught the majority of our fish today. This pattern has been fairly consistent for the month.
Attachments
20180524_144659_HDR (2).jpg
crawdaddy

Re: Fishing CA Delta May 24

Post by crawdaddy »

A lot of them are up in the spawning areas still, some are still spawning. The bluegills are now spawning and many of the bigger fish are still up in the beds chasing the gills. I am seeing a lot more bluegills than last year so that is good. Maybe try to target those fish in some way that you like for bigger bites. Great report.
I would rather jog home from my own Vasectomy than spend Saturday at the mall.