Can solar panels charge marine batteries?

Warden

Can solar panels charge marine batteries?

Post by Warden »

I'm having an issue where my boat is stored on a lot that doesn't have any AC outlets to connect the onboard battery regulator to charge the marine batteries. I can't park the boat at my house because there's no room.

I was wondering if anyone has rigged up a solar panel system to charge their batteries?
Solar panels run DC current, so I wasn't sure if a DC TO AC adapter would work if I connected the regulator to it. I also don't have a realistic idea of how long it'll take to charge up 3 x 130Ah deep cycles. I estimate it'll take 2 days under ideal conditions with a fairly large solar panel, but I have no clue if it'll even charge at all.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
ash
SpeedBump

Re: Can solar panels charge marine batteries?

Post by ash »

Hi Warden RV guys have been doing this for some time, I would check with your nearest RV store. I dont think you need a converter as the batteries are DC as well as the Solar Panels. You may want a conditioner with a limiter on it though. I havent done it myself but i would start with RV World
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Warden

Post by Warden »

Thanks. I have talked to a couple RV places recently. Pretty helpful guys. The only issue I'm having now is charge rate vs cost.

I'm kinda shocked this isn't a more common thing with as much as fishermen travel.
Bassfishman

Post by Bassfishman »

You would need a pretty large area solar array to charge your batteries after a full day of fishing in order to get the current (amps) you need. You would also need a 12V solar panel for each battery or an electronic system to switch the current between batteries. Ive thought about using a solar array to maintenance or trickle charge my batteries while the boat is in storage though but you would still need a way to switch current between batteries (could be manual or electronic).

If you are a fisherman on the go and travel a lot I think a better set up is the electronic charger that connects to your tow vehicle and charges your boat batteries while you are travelling and also recharges your trolling batteries when you boat engine is running and you are out on the water. The one I have read about on this site is Stealth Charger (http://www.stealth1charging.com/). I dont have one but it sounds pretty good.

If you went that route you would be charging your trolling batteries while you are towing, even at night. Or you can plug in. And you are charging on the water when the big motor is running too.
RMANZO

Post by RMANZO »

Troy Lindner came out w/solar panels that are built into the boat. A couple years ago. Can't remember the name but a Google search will help YA
“BOOK IT”
offthehookbassadventures.com
Facebook OFF THE HOOK BASS ADVENTURES
Instagram Robert Mansor
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

All,

The basic answer is yes and I did this for years with my boat when I stored it in Southern California at an RV park. This system works great.

The Stealth1 charging system works from any source of the charge, AC, DC from the big motor or from solar and will charge all your batteries (crank and trolling). The key will be the solar panel as noted above. The solar panels available today put out more current than in the past, but you can't change the laws of physics...what is used must be put back in.

All you need to do is have a Stealth1 DC charging system installed and than connect the largest solar panel/solar charging controller you can afford and have room for to the cranking battery and away you go. I had rigged my RV solar panel/solar controller on a switch that allowed me to pick a plug or to the RV. When I wanted to charge the boat, I connected a long wire from the RV to the boat and flipped the switch to the plug.

You have to have a solar charger controller so that you don't cook your batteries. You want the controller to reduce the current to the batteries based on their charge.

If you have more questions, drop me a line at 818-448-3366.
Last edited by scottsweet on Sun May 27, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I have a solar panel on my RV that will MAINTAIN a battery, but not really charge it like you're wanting. I don't know of any solar panel that will create enough amperage to actually charge one. I run a "TROLL BRIDGE system on my boat that really is awesome !! It will charge the TM batteries and the Start battery off of the alternator on the big motor. AND, if the start battery is low, it will pull from the TM batteries to fire it up !! Awesome set up ! I've gone 3 days at Clear Lake with out plugging in !!!

http://www.yandina.com/troll24info.htm
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
DarWise

Post by DarWise »

Ask Troy Lindner about solar battery charging your marine batteries. He tested them on his boat. You can message him on Facebook. He will respond.
dalton3265

Post by dalton3265 »

i think this question is only in count of panels
JeffKelly74

Post by JeffKelly74 »

How goes my friends, been thinking about adding solar panels myself.

I believe what you're looking to do, charging the batteries, is indeed possible. Not exactly sure how many panels, and how many watts per panel you'd need though. Currently using the following guides to help figure out my requirements:

https://citimarinestore.com/citiguide/m ... lar-power/
https://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/E ... 395-1.html

Believe it's helpful to first get a breakdown of the electrical requirements onboard, and how much amperage they'll pull off the batteries, then that will let you know how many panels will be required to charge those batteries back up.