Lake powell

tbass858

Lake powell

Post by tbass858 »

Just wondering if any one has the scoop on Lake Powell. We are doing 7 days on a house boat out of wahweap, I will be bringing the bass boat to do some fishing. I'm thinking about heading up to Bullfrog to chase bass around there but I really have no idea where to start.

Thanks T
JBS24

Re: Lake powell

Post by JBS24 »

No need to go all the way to Bullfrog, thats a very long run. Smallmouth are abundant and stripers (especially now that they are starting to boil). Dungeon Canyon, Weatherill, Mtn. Sheep Canyon, San Juan arm, Escalante arm all hold millions of smallies. I actually caught 10 largemouth on a recent 3 day trip. They are not nearly as abundant as the smallies. Water is up, bass are once again in the bushes, water is ultra clear, senkos, shad colored crankbait to 10' (target the 8' depth), and a texas rigged grub, senko or roboworm. Topwater should be AMAZING with a zara spook (stripers), and a rat/mouse wake bait (simulates all the lizards on the rocks). Good luck, I'm jealous!!!
tbass858

Post by tbass858 »

Sounds good, we've had it booked since January im very excited. Thank you for the insight.
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

Agree with JBS, no need to run all the way up to bullfrog, plenty to fish where your launching.

There's a thing called "crack fishing" there in the canyons. Any place you see a crack in a wall can be a great place for bass to hide. Fish it. Remember the crack likely gets bigger as it goes under water, so no crack is too small. Weightless senko along the cracks in walls.

Find bushes and trees in the water in backs of coves and you found fish. Dropshot your favorite worm around them.

Topwater should be on. The pop-R is great for the Smallies. I also like the spook or the bigstick.

Also, just an fyi, the stripers there are great to catch, but I dont recommend eating any. They don't taste good, mushy.

Look for petroglyphs on the walls, and take a trail hike up some canyons. Fun stuff.

Lastly, be prepared for the worst. You can be way, way, back in a canyon and never see another boat all day. If you break down, be prepared. Carry shade, water, food, extra clothes, emergency kit. (Ask me how I know? :shock: ).

Have fun,

Kopper
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
tbass858

Post by tbass858 »

Thank you for the advice, I will make sure to pack all the essentials. We are also going to be carrying vhf radios to hopefully be in contact with the houseboat during the bass boat runs.