More on Jacob Wheelers DQ at Bassmater Elite event on Sabine River in Texas

WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

...But for the record, I agree wholeheartedly with the rule.

I think it should be illegal for a marshal to help an angler — period.

If you write that rule vaguely — if you say it’s illegal for a marshal to help an angler in most situations — you’d have some sort of dispute at every event. Think about all of the ways that could be interpreted.

Plus, marshals come in all shapes and sizes. Some are 25-year-old marathon runners, while others are 70-year-old guys who limp down the ramp and need help getting in the boat. ...

Read the rest: https://www.bassmaster.com/bryan-brashe ... hing-twice

The original article....
...Wheeler was making the 150-mile run beyond Galveston Bay to the Houston area when he said his boat became lodged on a sandbar. He couldn’t dislodge the boat without asking his marshal to exit the craft, which is a violation of B.A.S.S. rules.

Wheeler, who said he briefly misplaced his phone in all of the commotion, used his marshal’s phone to self-report the violation, and B.A.S.S. officials notified him that his second-round catch would be disqualified.

“I practiced in Houston, but I did not make the run over there (from Orange),” Wheeler said. “I was running a long the way – the longest run I’ve ever made — and I ran up on a sandbar. It stopped the boat dead in the water. The tide was going out, and I was 110 miles away — the worst possible situation.”

Wheeler said he trimmed his outboard up and tried to dislodge the boat without more extreme measures, but he was unsuccessful.

“My marshal was about the same size as me, and I’m not a small guy,” Wheeler said. “He got out, we started pushing and we got it off the sandbar.”

Read the rest at Bassmaster: https://www.bassmaster.com/news/wheeler ... squalified