E_Henn13

Boat / prop / performance questions

Post by E_Henn13 »

I have a 2012 skeeter fx20 with a 250 sho
2 power poles
10” manual jp
Full tourney load
Myself and non boater

I previously had a T1 on my boat and was getting low-mid 70s with 6000 rpm, excellent
Holeshot.
Unfortunately I hit something in the water and ruined the prop. When the lower unit was fixed the dealer installed a FXP. The prop gave an ok holeshot but I could only get 68mph and COULD NOT break 5800 rpm.
Dealer said they would replace prop with a T2 If I found one.. well I searched everywhere and found a new one.. a T2 25p
Today i took it out for the first time at a tourney.
This is what I need help with.
Holeshot.. horrible.. it literally took 8-10 seconds to get on plane. Motor felt like it was bogging down and then as it began to plane out it felt like the prop hit a powerband and the boat power would come back and accelerate nicely (this would happen about 6 seconds into takeoff)
I could not break 5600 rpm and 68mph
When I would go around a bend (not a sharp turn) my mph would drop to 60 mph or so.. with foot all the way on the throttle.
Also, when I would let my foot off the throttle, the boat felt skiddish like the rear end of the boat was fish tailing.

Is my prop jack plate too high?

Anyone have any pointers on how to fix my problems? Incredibly frustrated.
Please help

Thanks
hydro

Re: Boat / prop / performance questions

Post by hydro »

Sounds like you're over propped now not allowing the motor to spin up to full rpm capability .

Was the original prop a 25" pitch too ? it's possible the original owner has that prop worked by a prop shop for best performance on that particular boat .

Also did the mechanic possibly install new higher ratio gearing in your lower unit when that was repaired ?

Just some things to consider...
E_Henn13

Post by E_Henn13 »

same size prop, gears are the same as well.
a 250 sho should be pushing this prop without an issue.

i am thinking that the JP was moved up... whenever the lower unit was done the dealer also replaced my steering and the bushings that went along with it and removed the motor.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

E_Henn13 wrote:same size prop, gears are the same as well.
a 250 sho should be pushing this prop without an issue.

i am thinking that the JP was moved up... whenever the lower unit was done the dealer also replaced my steering and the bushings that went along with it and removed the motor.
Ask the dealer if they moved it. The dealer might also be able to diagnose the problem.
You should also be able to look at it and see if new material is showing.
One more option is to just play around with trying it at different heights, to see if it hurts/helps.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

Check your prop-to-pad distance (height). The centerline of the prop shaft should be approx. 3 1/2" lower than the pad (the part of the hull the boat runs on when on plane).
Last edited by Stratos278 on Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
drew

Post by drew »

You need a prop of known quality. IMO a used or repaired prop is less then ideal. Post on bass boat central on the skeeter forum and the prop section.

Raising will usually increase the top speed and max rpm.