Shamrock Vs Ortiz III

Sports talk forum
JGB

Shamrock Vs Ortiz III

Post by JGB »

Do you think Shamrock can pull out a win? I personally think Ortiz is just too strong and young, Shamrock looked great in his last few matches but tired really fast. I'm also really glad I'm not going to have to pay to see this match as I paid for their last match up and was very dissapointed when it was stopped.

JGB
krpierce

Re: Shamrock Vs Ortiz III

Post by krpierce »

I dont think Shamrock can win. I seen him fight in PRIDE and he had his corner throw in the towel, and I thought he was winning that fight. I think Shamrock needs to stick with his circuit he started and promote that, although I do think he was one of the best all time. Just my two cents....
bahlzar

Post by bahlzar »

true, shamrock has a punchers chance but the guy is old & done....hang it up shamrock !
Dan McKenzie

Post by Dan McKenzie »

He can't defy his age. Shamrock is a stud, in my opinion he was one of the best to ever get in the ring, but like everyone before and after him AGE wins out. I don't particularly think Ortiz is great, he's good and that's all you really need to be to be a has been.
I guess we'll see 8)
Brian Linehan

Post by Brian Linehan »

Ortiz is better than good. Anyone who has beaten Wanderlei Silva, Belfort, Tanner, Shamrock, and Forest is pretty tough. His game is wrestling and can beat anyone IF, and I stress IF, he can shoot and take you to the ground. He's not my favorite fighter, but he's definitely one of the best.
Dan McKenzie

Post by Dan McKenzie »

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Ortiz is a slouch, but great, nope-don't think so. Ortiz lost to Liddel and I don't think he is great either. In fact in UFC I don't see any active fighter I would give that label to. Until they can master all the disciplines I don't think they're deserving of the"great" title. Hell, their all good to fight at that level. Used to be Great was something reserved for the best of the best, now it's tossed around like yesterdays news paper.
Dan McKenzie

Post by Dan McKenzie »

Hughes is boderline for me, we'll see what happens with BJ (and who would actually call themself "BJ"??) If he beats him decidedly then I'll say he deserves it. Fedor-that guy is as "cool" as a fighter gets.
Bob Simard

Gotta Say -

Post by Bob Simard »

I think Hughes is the man - class act and tough as nails. Liddel as well. Personally I'd put both of them in the Great catagory.

As to BJ - with a name like tha, it's no wonder the guy can fight. Hughes will bury him however.
Bob Simard

No - Shamrock can't hang with the kids anymore....

Post by Bob Simard »

1. He has yet to keep Tito off of him.

2. He gases after 2 rounds

3. Regardless of what he says - and I agree the first fight's stoppage was BS - if he can't defend himself (or chooses not to) while elbows are raining down on him, the ref will stop the fight.

Tito wins easily. Then goes on to fight the Iceman early next year.
Dan McKenzie

Re: Gotta Say -

Post by Dan McKenzie »

I am a much bigger fan of Pride. I think when UFC went to it's current format (less grappling and more striking) it turned me off. I like the ground game. On another somewhat related subject, pound for pound I don't believe I have ever seen anyone quite like Zambidis, at 5'1" he is an incredible fighting machine, his flying knee is wicked, everyone he fights is like a foot taller than him.
Hardshell

Re: No - Shamrock can't hang with the kids anymore....

Post by Hardshell »

"He's not as good as he once was" but "He may be as good once as he ever was". Ortiz still may be to much for the ol' man, time will tell.

Steve Greene