GPS/Sonar, Need Your Opinions

What works best for you?

I like having the conveinence of two functions in one unit.
83%
I prefer to keep my electronics seperate.
8%
I couldn't navigate out of a wet paper bag...HAR
8%

Total votes: 12

Pil9rotten

GPS/Sonar, Need Your Opinions

Post by Pil9rotten »

Here I am again looking to fellow Nutcases for their usual spot on opinion on gear and such. After my last trip to clear lake I decided that I want the conveinence of having an integrated GPS/Sonar unit. My past experience has always shown me that individual electronics NOT integrated has always performed better. However, seeing how fast technology is moving these days I suspect that combo units are pretty reliable but there must be a trade off on performance (or maybe I'm still just vapor locked in the 80's).

I am looking for the best sonar picture I can get but still have accurate gps and the ability to navigate using waypoints, track lines and bearings as well as decent chartography. I am not interested in high end ocean able units either just a decent unit within and affordable bracket between $400.00 and $900.00.

What have you installed on your boats?
What worked and what didn't and why?

Thanks in advance for your much appreciated and valued opinions and comments.

Kenji 8)
Rob D

Re: GPS/Sonar, Need Your Opinions

Post by Rob D »

I just installed a Lowrance LCX-17M. It is greyscale and in your price range. Has wide screen so you can have map screen and sonar screen side by side and they are still big enough to view without strain. Good luck!
I fish because I CAN!!
God Bless America!!
Rob Douglas
Gator

Re: GPS/Sonar, Need Your Opinions

Post by Gator »

I have an LMS-160 Map with GPS on the dash. I love the unit - never had a problem with it at all. I am actually looking at upgrading to color, only because I like the much better resolution on the color units.