Line for top water baits

Tim Myers

Line for top water baits

Post by Tim Myers »

Looking for some feedback on what others use and there experience for clear water.

Thank's,

Tim Myers
<A HREF="http://www.tackleunderground.com" TARGET="_blank">www.tackleunderground.com</A>

<!-- /home/wbass/public_html/bbtemp/desert/bbs0/49 -->
Gerry Mahieu

Re: Line for top water baits

Post by Gerry Mahieu »

Hey Tim, some use braid and some use co-polymer. I myself have used both and prefer the P-Line CXX 20lb. for spinnerbaits and buzzbaits and larger topwaters like Spooks and stuff. Smaller topwaters would require smaller diameter line.....whatever you do, don't use flouro cause it sinks! You get a chance to check out the new Japanese baits called DEKA'S....BWW may have them, give them a try because when it comes time....watch out!
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Tim, for 90% of my topwater application I prefer to use a braided line, I really like the castability and strenght of FINS. For most topwater applications, such as a Spook, buzzbait, prop baits or a Jitterbug, I'm fishing the bait with a constant retrieve and fairly erratic. In these situations, even in clear waters such as places like Powell & Mead your way or like Pardee & Shasta out west, I don't feel the line is a hinderance to where the bass detect it.

Yet there are some instances where I will use a popper or Sammy type bait, where I'll fish it real slow, almost like dead sticking it, then give it little subtle twitchs, under these conditions, in clear water I will go to a less visable Super mono by Pure fishing called SpiderLine in 14# test

Cooch

<!-- /home/wbass/public_html/bbtemp/desert/bbs0/51 -->
Tim Myers

Post by Tim Myers »

Much appreciate the input. Learned the flourocarbon thing the hard way. Just cant seem to put a good top water line on. I like the braid but seems to have a little effect in the clear waters of mead and mohave. Used Mono spiderwire and dont seem to care for it. Wil look into some of your products.

<!-- /home/wbass/public_html/bbtemp/desert/bbs0/53 -->