Dropshot The Delta??

TonyL

Dropshot The Delta??

Post by TonyL »

Hey guys!Whats everybody using on the delta?Rig , Line , Etc..Dont think I should be bringin my Med./light GLoomis speinnin combo with 6lb floro! :D :? :lol: Thanks in advance.

Tony
Jason C.

Re: Dropshot The Delta??

Post by Jason C. »

Hey Tony,
I use a 6ft. 6in. med. action bait casting rod. I use anywhere from 12-14lb test. With a curodo 100b. I use a 1/4oz weight with a 6ing robo worm in either Arron's Magic or Margurita Mutilator. I like the 12-14lb test better because I feel that 10lb test or lighter is to light ever sence I lost a Toad on the 10lb test. I like the 1/4oz weight because it gets to the bottom relitivley fast and moves with the current at a reasonable rate. I hope this helps! And good luck!!
Winning Isn't Everything...But Wanting To IS!
Tight Lines, Jason C.
jasonconser@yahoo.com 925-727-4077
[color=orange] www.dobynsrods.com [/color]
[color=blue] www.inland-marine.com [/color]
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

I haven't tried it yet, not really sure where or when would be the best or better time to try it out..There is no reason a drop shot should not work out well on the Delta..I know Cooch has made several posts about how he does it, and I am sure there are a lot more using the technique..Good luck with it and let us hear how you did..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

Great help!Thanks Jason!
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

Hey Mac!Yeahh , this is new ta me too.I've buzzed thru some posts in the recent past where guys have mentioned it, and thought Ha???It wasn't too long a go I read an article on a crtain tourney circuit ,said somethin Like"O.K. guys time ta put your dropshot rigs away ,we're headed ta the Delta!"
Jason C.

Post by Jason C. »

If your wondering when and wehre to do it then this answer is pretty easy. You can pretty much drop shot a fish at almost anytime. You might not get a big weight doing this. Its a good way to get a quick and SMALL limit. But you can pretty much catch a drop shot fish any time of the year. Expecially the Winter months. Where?? Well I like to drop shot docks, rock walls, holes in a weed line, and the down stream side of an Island where the current on each side of the Island comes in contact with eachother! Again I hope this helps! And good luck!
Tight Lines, Jason C.
sTony

Post by sTony »

Being the devil's advocate that I seem to want to be, hahaha, I'd have to argue a lot of points that have been made so far. First off is dropshotting the Delta can be a way not only get a large limit but to also win a tournament with the biggest sack of the day. There are times when you have to be dropshotting out there to be competitive. I'd also go on record as saying that sometimes the bubba style drop shot isn't going to get you those bites you need. You CAN get away with using the same set ups you use on the lakes, lighter line and spinning reels and the like, on the Delta. You have to be mindful on what type of structure you're fishing is all. If you're out int he middle of Frank's Tract you can use lighter line and get away with it just fine. If you're suing the dropshot around a lot of rocks or around docks and what not it's likely a better option to bubba up a bit and go heavier. The bass in the Delta are no different then anywhere else in many instances and they can become line shy, espeically the bigger beasts, and when they do the only way to get 'em good is to go with lighter line. I've experienced it personally so I speak with some experience on the matter.

sTony
Jason C.

Post by Jason C. »

Ok, I didnt mean to make it sound like you can only catch small limits with a drop shot. After all I did just take my clubs tournament on drop shot. But the winning weight was only 7.32lb's. Also the limit was 4 fish. But if you ask me thats a small limit. You can ctach a big limit on drop shot but I personally dont hear it happening to much. But who knows I could just be under a rock somewhere and not even know it! HAR HAR!!

And Tony
win a tournament with the biggest sack of the day
I thought that, that was the ONLY way to win a 1day tournament. HAR HAR!!
Tight Lines, Jason C.
gt5bass

Post by gt5bass »

sTony wrote:If you're suing the dropshot

sTony
Why would anybody want to git litigious on the poor old dropshot...HAR!!
[i][color=green]It is what it is[/color] :|[/i]
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Tony,

If your out in the middle of franks dropshotting maybe you can keep a watchful eye out for my lower unit i left there a few years back... :-) :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
sTony wrote:Being the devil's advocate that I seem to want to be, hahaha, I'd have to argue a lot of points that have been made so far. First off is dropshotting the Delta can be a way not only get a large limit but to also win a tournament with the biggest sack of the day. There are times when you have to be dropshotting out there to be competitive. I'd also go on record as saying that sometimes the bubba style drop shot isn't going to get you those bites you need. You CAN get away with using the same set ups you use on the lakes, lighter line and spinning reels and the like, on the Delta. You have to be mindful on what type of structure you're fishing is all. If you're out int he middle of Frank's Tract you can use lighter line and get away with it just fine. If you're suing the dropshot around a lot of rocks or around docks and what not it's likely a better option to bubba up a bit and go heavier. The bass in the Delta are no different then anywhere else in many instances and they can become line shy, espeically the bigger beasts, and when they do the only way to get 'em good is to go with lighter line. I've experienced it personally so I speak with some experience on the matter.

sTony
Slippy

Post by Slippy »

Hollywood wrote:Tony,

If your out in the middle of franks dropshotting maybe you can keep a watchful eye out for my lower unit i left there a few years back... :-) :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

while your at it take a look in Italian, i left one there about a year ago.
LL
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

When your done with the first take a look near that rock wall that is under water at high tide in little franks, I got one there. Tony remember that time you and cooch had to come with my truck and trailer as Kota was pulling me in at 8pm? What a day. lol... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
TomAtkeson

Post by TomAtkeson »

I use a med powell extra fast action with 10lb fluro.......havnt had any problems....oh and I use a size one or two gamakatsu EWG....had a nine lber bend the hook closed around her lip....there was no way she was gettin off. :)

Its a 7'0 med extra fast...with a daiwa certate 10lb p line 100% fluro....worms I like, boldbluegill, folkstead special, aarons magic, fuscha thunder and warmouth.
I also use the reaction innovations flirt in oxblood and spanish fly.

I always use megastrike scent
Tom Atkeson
http://www.blackdogbaitco.com
http://www.tylurecustombaits.com
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.youtube.com/ibassfishing
gt5bass

Hey CJ...

Post by gt5bass »

Been hangin' out over in Paradise spankin' the h'Oroville Spots everytime I get a chance. Been waitin' to hear from the employer in So. Cal. so I can make some more money and git my Rotator Cuff checked out. It has been givin' me fits since the State Classic at the beginning of the month. Fortunately it is not my castin' arm :wink:

How's the "Purple Stuff" treatin' ya?
[i][color=green]It is what it is[/color] :|[/i]