Tying on a dropshot hook

Jason Wood

Tying on a dropshot hook

Post by Jason Wood »

This probably has an easy and obvious answer but I will ask anyways... Can anyone tell me why half of the times I tie on a d.s. hook with a palomar know, the thing ends up upside down and I have to retie it??? The only thing I can think is that i'm twisting the two lines in the loop before crossing back over the hook...

Re: Tying on a dropshot hook

Post by Guest »

Half the time you're inserting the line from the wrong side when you start your knot. It it is upside down just run your line back through the eyelet and it will be right side up.
Jason Wood

Post by Jason Wood »

I insert the first pass through the hook's point side of the eye every time, and then back through...

Post by Guest »

Try inserting from the other end and see what happens. Best to do this at home vs on the water where you have plenty of time.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Tying the hook to the line for dropshoting – Yes I use the “Palomar Knotâ€
Jason Wood

Post by Jason Wood »

Interesting... Never thought to put the tail back through the eye after pulling tight...

Oh yeah, trying the other way will give me just the opposite results... 90% upside down and 10% right-side up... Weird...
ronwolf

Post by ronwolf »

I have about a 50% success rate the first time. i think it has something to do with the loop. its hard for me not to get it twisted while tying. but like they said above, if it ends up upside down put the tag end back through the top and away from the point and it works everytime. so i gave up trying to figure out how to get it right and usually end up using the above said technique. it doesnt seem to hender my success rate whatsoever. gl