Guys, see my post “LADWP forcing closure of fantastic fisheryâ€
Castaic Dave

Done ... and with a copy of the constitution. *NM*

Post by Castaic Dave »

Mike Holbrook

Re: Castaic, Pyramid, Silverwood and Diamond Valley Lake Clo

Post by Mike Holbrook »

Mike Holbrook

Re: Done ... and with a copy of the constitution.

Post by Mike Holbrook »

Thanks Dave!
Mike Holbrook

Post by Mike Holbrook »

> Here is the address to my previous post,
>
> <A HREF="http://forums.westernbass.com/cgi-bin/s ... read=18951" TARGET="_blank">http://forums.westernbass.com/cgi-bin/s ... d=18951</A>

I also just noticed that the petition only showed up with one line. You can copy it, paster it into a word document and add a bunch of lines for people to sign.
Ben M

Mike Holbrook

Post by Ben M »

> Mike where did you get this infomation. I haven't see any News release. But then I live in a mason jar with a few hole popped in the lid. I'd like to learn more.
Mike Holbrook

Ben

Post by Mike Holbrook »

Its posted on the LADWP web site, <A HREF="http://www.ladwp.com/ladwp/cms/ladwp006398.jsp" TARGET="_blank">http://www.ladwp.com/ladwp/cms/ladwp006398.jsp</A>
The reasons they mention on thier website are bull.
And its been pubished in our local paper. Like I said, I think they are trying to be very sneaky about the whole thing,
Castaic Dave

Hey Mike ... How ya been?

Post by Castaic Dave »

Hadnt seen ya since you got caught by the biggest and best bass of your life!
Ben M

Re: Ben

Post by Ben M »

> Good Luck Mike....... great use of the Forum. Keep us updated..
Dan Curtis

Post by Dan Curtis »

Dan Curtis

Post by Dan Curtis »

Mr. Holbrook, the lakes that you mentioned in your previous post are operated by the Metropolitan Water District (MWD) not the Department of Water and Power (DWP) ... which is a "Member Agency" of the MWD and would not have jurisdiction over these lakes. Castaic Lake is run by the L.A. County Dept Of Parks & Recreation and is under a contract to provide a "recreational environment" as well as a water supply.
Castaic Dave

Regardless ... you should ...

Post by Castaic Dave »

Still fill out the petition and send it in. We should all help out when we can who know when your lake will be next.
Mike Holbrook

My Replies

Post by Mike Holbrook »

Ben, thanks Buddy. Hopefully we as outdoorsmen can get this closure stopped. I know in the long run it could have an adverse effect on all water’s in California.

Dave, doing great man! Its hard to believe that its coming up on my 2 year anniversary this May, time sure does fly by.

Dan Curtis, maybe the lakes themselves are ran by different organizations, now correct me if I’m wrong but I recall that they are fed by the LA aqua duct, which is ran by the LADWP which in turn would have the final say because it is their water going into the lake?

What it all boils down to is Haiwee was the LADWP’s private fishing hole for over 50 years before they were forced by the courts to open it to the public. They have from day one made it a big inconvenience to all sportsmen who went there and have not wanted us in there at all. Up until now we have played by their rules but this is taking it way to far.
Dan Curtis

Re: My Replies (long)

Post by Dan Curtis »

I think that you are confusing the California Aqueduct with the Los Angeles Aqueduct which was designed and built by William Mullholland in 1907 to 1913. It's water source is the Owens River located in the Owens Valley in central California.
This is a gravity flow system which has no pumps.

The California Aqueduct, initially known as the 'Feather River Project' begins in Northern California at Lake Oroville. Water is brought south via a cement aqueduct (you can see it next to Interstate 5 or Palmdale) and is pumped into Lakes Pyramid, Castaic, and Silverwood. An additional pipe is to be constructed that will pump water from Lake Silverwood to Diamond Valley Lake in Hemet. This system is owned by the State of California and the lake operators and concession operators are sub contractors.

The Metropolitan Water District (MWD) is the agency responsible for supplying water to the coastal plain of Southern California including Los Angeles, Orange, San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, and Ventura Counties. MWD gets most of its water from the Colorado River via Lake Havasu. This water is pumped across the desert in another cement aqueduct to Diamond Valley Lake and Lake Mathews. MWD designed and built Diamond Valley. MWD also gets water from the California Aqueduct.

My point is that the MWD would have the say as to the operational requirements of these lakes and reservoirs, but the ultimate authority would be the State of California.

How all this functions was brought to light not too long ago when L.A. County Parks & Rec threatened to close Castaic Lake citing lack of funding .... the powers that be basically instructed the county to 'find the money ... you have a contract to honor'. These contracts also stipulate that certain lakes and reservoirs must be operated primarily as public water sources as well as recreational facilities.
Mike Holbrook

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info Dan. *NM*

Post by Mike Holbrook »

Ron C

Great info Dan. Thanks!

Post by Ron C »

Just last week, I was doing some research on the State Water Project and found and bookmarked this web site: <A HREF="http://www.publicaffairs.water.ca.gov/swp/water/" TARGET="_blank">http://www.publicaffairs.water.ca.gov/swp/water/</A>. The SWP and the California Aqueduct is a remarkable accomplishment. It is the largest water transfer system in the entire country.

I am a very strong believer and supporter of the U.S. Constitution and of the rights that it guarantees to all of us as citizens. However, I am also a strong believer in the safety of all Americans, as well. I do not believe that our State or Federal governments would arbitrarily close down areas to the general public without cause or concern. Call me a fool, but I am one of the few who still trusts our State and Federal governments. I certainly do not like to see recreational areas close down to the public, but if it means saving the lives of Americans, I will support it. Rather than directing my anger towards our government, I direct mine towards the guy who is responsible for all of this. His name is Osama Bin Laden, not George W. Bush or Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Thanks again for the clarification.

Good Fishing!

Ron C
Dan Curtis

Re: Great info Dan. Thanks!

Post by Dan Curtis »

Thanks for your input, Ron, I share the same concerns as well as those expressed by Mike Holbrook. I think it is easy to get complacent about our freedom here in America and take for granted all that comes with it. I'm sure that we all dread the possibility that our government leaders would be forced to make possibly rash decisions that would compromise these freedoms, including our shared love of boating and fishing on the local waterways. On a lighter note ....

Say Ron .... are you by chance planning any more Huddleston Swimbait seminars? Fred Hall show(s) perhaps? Response from the one you did in OC (bass club?) sounded pretty good.
Just a thought.
Ron C

As of right now...

Post by Ron C »

...my only other scheduled seminar is with the Castaic Bass Club on Thursday, March 10th at 7 p.m. They hold their meetings at the Hamburger Hamlet in Valencia (right off the I-5 at Magic Mountain Parkway). I always try to keep my seminars contemporary with what's happening at the time, but with the overwhelming response that I received from the great members of SOCB, I will (most likely) do the swimbait thing again (and not just Huddlestons, mind you).

I'm sure that Topwater Terry would be more than happy to fill you in on the details of the Castaic Bass Club.

Thanks for asking and Good Fishing!

Ron C
Ben M

Wait a minute

Post by Ben M »

> I have great respect for all here. So don't get me wrong. It's a little shocking that anyone would believe and trust hole heartedly in our government Officals. I don't know maybe I read that wrong. The point is and these are just my thoughts and feelings for what they're worth.
The things that are being done in the name of home land security is a mask for bad government and pork barrel spending to special interest and make some wealthy and or to get themselves in the history books. Vaine aren't they?

There are many good targets other than our water system. Get real! To disrupt it would take a massive undertaking. Terrorist are lazy. Our damns would take a massive amount of explosive to effect us(not very effective in a terrorist plot). I know there could be other threats, but really, think about.

Closing the boarders and throwing out the e-legals, that would be a good start in securing us. That seem to be a big topic to our politians, that's a no brainer to me, and should be to any sane person. Licences to e-legals. Why not give them guns to. Stop gang volience, aren't they terrorizing Americans? And even if they're Americans, there terrorist. Send them to camp in our Cuban military resort. But NO, close our lakes restrict our freedoms. Go ahead and play into the hands of the terrorist. And they never had to do anything. "We have nothing to fear but fear itself" FDR said, great words. And one act of terrorism 2.5 years ago and we're all feeding into it like defenseless children with blinders on. Our government officals are looking for actions that will bring them headlines, so they can point to all the thing they have done to protect us, by restricting us. "DO YOU FEEL IT YET?" It's politics in it's worst form, feed the fear get re-elected. "Look I'm protecting you. Believe in our country, but always question the governments action. Believe all the propaganda and we will re-live in this country, 1939 Germany. Fear was the the Nazi forum. I learn this from my parents everyday growing up. There are some evil, self serving people in our government make no mistake. Trust in God and the American people, but question always, our elected officals. EVEN if you voted for them, power croups, and it's not your fault they got crazied. Our constitution is our saving grace and our only protection as civilans. We need to all, get more involved, because our civil liberties are at more at risk today more than ever before in history. We are being tested as a people in control of its Government, not the opposite. To protect what is ours, even if it's just a small lake. That's why helping Mike is better than doing nothing all and letting it take a presentance, only to have it trickle down to all Lakes. And say; "if I only had did something".. It's our duty as legal Americans to fight with our pens and be heared.

They worked us with Castaic Lake and you got higher fee. Well guess what?

Ok off my soapbox. Sorry if I offended or spoke down to anyone it was not intented.
Topwater Terry

Post by Topwater Terry »

Mike-don't be afraid to contact the guys from the BASS California Federation, including Gary Bradford. I think they have some political weight and were about to come calling when Castaic was threatened with closure. They know that we have the state constitution on our side. Also, I think there is (or at least there was) an Owens Valley Warm Water Fishing Association, I wonder if they have heard anything about this possible closure?
Terry
Topwater Terry

And I guarantee that Ron will

Post by Topwater Terry »

have a great seminar as he always does. You'll especially enjoy the raffle with several Huddlestons he will donate to us....HARRRRR!!!! If you want any more info on the club just fire me an email. We've got Dan Warme coming out this Thursday.
Terry
mark poulson

Re: And I guarantee that Ron will

Post by mark poulson »

Maybe he'll give away another dozen Fishhedz masks. Not! :O)
Mark
Mike Holbrook

Thanks Terry! I'll contact Gary today. *NM*

Post by Mike Holbrook »

Mike Holbrook

Ron and othere, this is not a Homeland Security issue.

Post by Mike Holbrook »

Guys, I 100% agree with you if this were actually a homeland secuirty issue I would not protest the closure and fully back it but how can it be? Let me explain a little. The entire Owens Valley feeds the aquaduct which in turn feeds Haiwee. If it were actually a secuirty issue closing the entire Owens valley would make more sense because the aquaduct is exposed everywhere. Like Ben said, I believe that terrorists are basically lazy and want the quickest method so why would they take the time to park in a desiginated parking area, which Haiwee has, and cart whatever it was they wanted to dump into the res. when they could just pull a semi up to one of the many open places in the system and dump it all in at once? The DWP blocked off access to the lake's, there are 2 of them, and made everyone park in designated parking areas. As of now there are a total of 4 entrances into the lakes. You park and hike in. Even if they do suceed and close it how difficult would it be for a terrorist to just drive through the fence?

Like I said previously, the DWP was upset that they had to let us in to fish their private lake in the first place and have been trying to figure out a way to stop the outdoorsman from utilizing the waters from day one of opening it to the public.

I'm now hearing other rumor's as to why the closure is really taking place. I'm not sure if they are true or not so I wont go into detail right yet but the bottom line is they are not Homeland Security issues, far from it.

Mark my words, if they do close Haiwee there will be a presedence set and in time it WILL impact other California fishing spots!
Mike Holbrook

Re: Thanks Terry! I'll contact Gary today. ALSO......

Post by Mike Holbrook »

Guys, I 100% agree with you if this were actually a homeland secuirty issue I would not protest the closure and fully back it but how can it be? Let me explain a little. The entire Owens Valley feeds the aquaduct which in turn feeds Haiwee. If it were actually a secuirty issue closing the entire Owens valley would make more sense because the aquaduct is exposed everywhere. Like Ben said, I believe that terrorists are basically lazy and want the quickest method so why would they take the time to park in a desiginated parking area, which Haiwee has, and cart whatever it was they wanted to dump into the res. when they could just pull a semi up to one of the many open places in the system and dump it all in at once? The DWP blocked off access to the lake's, there are 2 of them, and made everyone park in designated parking areas. As of now there are a total of 4 entrances into the lakes. You park and hike in. Even if they do suceed and close it how difficult would it be for a terrorist to just drive through the fence?

Like I said previously, the DWP was upset that they had to let us in to fish their private lake in the first place and have been trying to figure out a way to stop the outdoorsman from utilizing the waters from day one of opening it to the public.

I'm now hearing other rumor's as to why the closure is really taking place. I'm not sure if they are true or not so I wont go into detail right yet but the bottom line is they are not Homeland Security issues, far from it.

Mark my words, if they do close Haiwee there will be a presedence set and in time it WILL impact other California fishing spots!