Bulk silicone???

basstamer

Bulk silicone???

Post by basstamer »

I want to "attempt" making some molds to handpour some of my own baits....anyone know where I can get bulk silicone to make the molds out of? I have found it online but I'd rather buy it somewhere locally than pay shipping.
Scott
Ken C.

Re: Bulk silicone???

Post by Ken C. »

The largest quanitity of silicone I can think of locally would be the magnum tubes of caulking silicone... You could probably get a good price on case lots.

Otherwise have you thought of making molds out of plaster of paris?
basstamer

Post by basstamer »

Ken-I honestly never thought about silicone caulking....think that would work? Would I have to like "grease" the bait so it wouldnt stick in the silicone ya think? I was going to use plaster but was told by several people that the silicone made much more detailed reproductions is why I was going that way.
Scott
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

Scott I think you'd have to grease the original regardless of what method you use. As for the caulking-type it should work as long as you don't get an adhesive type of caulk.

I have seen some very detailed bait molds cast from plaster of paris. After all thats what dental labs use for making teeth, jewelers use it, etc. The trick is to make sure you get all of the air out when you pour it. Some type of vibration table is what works best (anything that shakes will work - even a lawn mower!). You can also make the plaster just a bit thinner than spec. It'll take longer to dry and may not be quite as strong but it'll still work as long as you don't drop it! You can also cast in some plastic mesh on the bottom for added strength if your concerned about it.
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

The silicone caulking in tubes is thick. I'm not sure it's the same silicone used for molds.
When we use it to caulk things, it doesn't flow, so it may not make an accurate mold of your lure.
If you can't verify that it's the same silcone, but want to try it anyway, I suggest you only buy one caulking gun tube to try first. They're around $6 a tube, depending on manuf., and the caulking guns are $2+-. You don't need to spend an arm and a leg for one.
Someone will surely borrow it and not return it before you ever wear it out. :lol:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Fish Chris

Post by Fish Chris »

Pamela Anderson ?

Fish
G3 Boats
a Yamaha Boat Company

Okuma fishing tackle

TUF-Line by Western Filament

www.TrophyBassOnly.com
....or from here, find links to
Trophy Sportfish .com
and Fish Chris Photo .com
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Chris, that answer is just too honest..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Pil9rotten

Post by Pil9rotten »

Try this product from TAP Plastic. I have used it on a number of soft plastics I have designed and it's perfect. Every bait comes out shiny and perfect. The problem with Plaster is it's porus. Plastisol fills in all of the microscopic holes in the plaster so the finished bait tends to stick and comes out dull. Go with the more expensive RTV, it produces a better bait, will take the heat and last a long time.

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=61&

Kenji[/url]
basstamer

Post by basstamer »

Thanks Pil!