depth finder frequency question

Rob D.

depth finder frequency question

Post by Rob D. »

I'm looking into buying a lcx 17, does anyone have one that could give opinions on it. Also is it better to get the 50/200 khz unit to fish water 60 plus feet or is the 200 sufficient.
thanks, Rob Dickson
Gator

Re: depth finder frequency question *LINK*

Post by Gator »

Rob - If you haven't taken a look at the Matrix video, check out westernbass.tv and click on the "Matrix" link. This is a video showcasing Humminbird Matrix Series Fish Finders. It contains a good description of the dual frequency uses.

Good Luck!!

Gator

Westernbass.tv
Rob D.

Re: depth finder frequency question

Post by Rob D. »

Thanks Gator but unfortunately I only have dial up, I don't get dsl where I live.
Ron C

Don't have one but...

Post by Ron C »

...it is a great unit. You should stay with 200 kHz for freshwater applications (unless you plan on using it at Lake Tahoe or Crater Lake). Here's the info on the unit straight from Lowrance:
<A HREF="http://www.lowrance.com/Marine/Products/LCX-17M.asp" TARGET="_blank">http://www.lowrance.com/Marine/Products/LCX-17M.asp</A>

Good Fishing!

Ron C
Rob D.

Re: Don't have one but...

Post by Rob D. »

Thanks Ron, I think I'm going to order one.
My x-85 just doesn't cut it when I'm trying to locate fish and good structure in deep water.
Ron C

If it is your bow unit that you are planning to replace...

Post by Ron C »

...you might want to consider an X-135 instead. It is a very powerful unit (4,000 watts) and has a very clear and detailed picture. It is the same size as an X-85. You really do not need a SONAR GPS/Mapping unit up front and an X-135 is a lot cheaper than an LCX-17. If the unit is for your console - nevermind (just but be sure to get the Combo unit, which includes the GPS/Mapping stuff). Keep in mind that both the X-135 and the LCX-17 use a different transducer than your X-85 does.

Good Fishing!

Ron C
Rob D.

Re: If it is your bow unit that you are planning to replace.

Post by Rob D. »

The LCX 17 is going to go on the driver console and I'm planning on getting the gps/mapping feature, also I'm going to purchase the X 135 for the bow. I'm finally replacing my out dated X 85's. By the way, does the lcx 17 fit good on the right side of the console since it's a big unit. I have a Ranger 522.
Thanks for your help,
Rob Dickson
Ron C

Yes it does...

Post by Ron C »

...In fact, that is the only real good location for it, since it will not fit in-dash. You will be very happy with it and the X-135. If money is no object, the LCX-19C color unit is the cat's meow for a console unit, but it's a bit of a price jump from an LCX-17.

Good Fishing!

Ron C
Brian D.

Federation discount

Post by Brian D. »

Rob, If you're a CA BASS Federation member, you can get a *substantial* discount off of retail. Contact your club's president or regional director for more information. Trust me.. it will be well worth your while.
Mike MM

LMS-332c and X-102c from Lowrance

Post by Mike MM »

I recently upgraded to a LMS-332c with GPS for the console and a X-102c in the bow, both units are from Lowrance. Once you use a color graph you will NEVER want to use anything else given the excellent detail that both of these units provide. Both units are 480 by 480 pixels and overall are an excellent value.
Gator

Hey Brian

Post by Gator »

Shoot me an email please....I have a question for you.

Thanks, Gator
Charlie

New FrontGraph

Post by Charlie »

Funny this subject is here again. I have had three Pinpoints on the front of my boat.Only because they kept "puking" every several months. After reading your post,a quick call to AnglersMarine changed what was going to be installed to the 102c. Since it was in for a tune up anyways. Thanks for the input Mike..Charlie
Mike MM

Charlie you will love the X102c!! *NM*

Post by Mike MM »

Gene Bucchol

Post by Gene Bucchol »

>The 200 is sufficiant for all the lakes ane the Delta The dual is more important for ocean fishing

I'm looking into buying a lcx 17, does
> anyone have one that could give opinions on
> it. Also is it better to get the 50/200 khz
> unit to fish water 60 plus feet or is the
> 200 sufficient.
> thanks, Rob Dickson
Rob D.

Post by Rob D. »

Thanks everybody for the advice,
Rob Dickson