jigs/clearlake

Don

jigs/clearlake

Post by Don »

what color jigs and trailers should I be fishing with at clearlake at this time of year.Should I use pork, rattles, 1/2 or 3/8 oz? Help!
scott h

Re: jigs/clearlake

Post by scott h »

Not an expert on clear lake but have gotten on some smokin jig bites up there I always have good luck with purple or a mix of purple and brown and a smallie beaver trailer in an oxblood. Persuader makes an awesome jig in the casting style with a great hook! Also I always use basswax in the crawdad scent. good luck
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
StockOption

Post by StockOption »

Brown jigs with a touch of orange or green pumpkin. I use the Yamamoto kreature or double tail grubs for trailers and will add some scent with smelly jelly or pro cure.

Some folks do very well with black and blue color combinations.

Hopefully Lunker Larry or Cooch will chime in as they are a few of the local jig experts as far Clear lake goes. I've learned a lot from each of them by reading their reports on Clear Lake or watching their episodes on Clear Lake on westernbass TV.

And don't do what I did this past Saturday and become impatient, right now the fish want things slow and slower. I fished far too fast and hung a big fat ZERO on Saturday. This was after I viewed numerous fish on the Aqua Vu (which works real, real well right now with the current water clarity).
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Hey StockOpt.....Sounds like Minner time ta me! LOL

I definately like tossing brown jigs up there in the clearwater. At this time of year, I do pefer a 1/2 oz jig so I can feel the bottom all the way to 35 feet, In the cold, I tend to loose track of the 3/8 oz jig at deeper depths. If the water is really clear, this time of year I'll be using an Olive Green pork chunk. When I find more stained water, I'll go to a black/blue pork chunk. With jigs, I typically don't use rattles until late winter, early spring when the water up there really gits muddy and stained from the run offs.
flipthatjig

Post by flipthatjig »

i was up there this past weekend. i was throwin a 1/2 wadda jig with a double tail grub. brown seem to be workin well for me. fish slow. if the jig doesnt produce the crappie bite it on fire.
StockOption

Post by StockOption »

Cooch wrote:Hey StockOpt.....Sounds like Minner time ta me! LOL
Hehe...thanks Cooch.

Perhaps I'll pick up some minnows, but honestly I'm having a blast using the camera to study the bottom structure all around the lake right now. I'm trying to get setup so I can make some recordings that I can post on-line for everyone to check out.

One thing that really stands out is just how damn curious the fish are. I've had numerous fish come right up to the camera (looks like a medium sized sunfish) to check it out. A few have even mouthed it a bit :D
lionkiller

Post by lionkiller »

Why, it IS 'minner time' up here....

I fish mostly at night (COLD now!). I had a good November using mostly brown & orange 3/8, no rattles, with a yami twintail or hula grub trailer. I did get an 8-6 on a black & blue 3/8 rattlin Weapon, so I'm not too concerned with color selection in the dark.

I got fish using different colors, rattle or no; with or without scent.

I'm not fishing as deep as Mr. Cuccia, or I might move up to 1/2 oz. Got a friend here who uses 1/8 oz. with a big trailer...again, in shallower water, for a slower fall around dock pilings, etc.

&, as someone told me about LV's -the rattles sound different in colder, denser water....but does it make a difference?
It's just a beating.....till you fight back.
StockOption

Post by StockOption »

Damn I bet it is REAL cold at night.

I must say I am surprised to hear you're not using rattles at night, I would think that's when they'd be paticularly effective.