Delta Striper Bite 12/26

Hitman

Delta Striper Bite 12/26

Post by Hitman »

Went out yesterday afternoon before the storm rolled thru. Fishing was slow in my usual areas I think because the water has a moderate stain from the recent run-offs. Ran to clearer water and found a nice school at the Tower Park bridge. Spooned up 2 nice keepers right away (22 and 25 inchs) and lost a few others. Spoon colored did not seem to matter as we kept losing spoons and had to resort to what ever was left in the box. Finally I'm getting some larger fish but I am still waiting on that double digit fish! Words of advice move to clearer water to find the striper bite.....

Hope everyone had a great xmas!

Hitman
Hitman

Fish Hard Films
TTCal

Re: Delta Striper Bite 12/26

Post by TTCal »

Thanks for the report Hitman... glad you were able to get into some. I was thinking of heading out there today (Thursday, the 28th) but yesterday's windstorm scared me off the water.
Dennis "Cal" Shew
Enthusiast Tackle Editor
Tackle Tour : The Angler's source for tackle news and reviews
www.tackletour.com

[i]fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside[/i]
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

I want to get back out there but the wind is keeping me home! Im on vacation for 2 weeks and feel like Im a prisoner of the wind right now....

Good luck when you go....

Hitman
Hitman

Fish Hard Films
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

I also was out on Thursday in the wind storm. Found some protected areas in disco and had fish all to myself. Had approx. 12 fish biggest going around 15lbs on a rattle trap. Had fish boiling around the boat but the fish were finicky. It took at least 5 minutes of casting while they were boiling before I got bit. All the fish were gorged on bait that was no longer than 2 inches. All I can say is find the bait and you will find fish. Different story yesterday. I launched out of Orwood at 830 Am. The parking lot was full and the overflow lot was starting to fill up. Went into disco just to find 4 boats in the bay where i was fishing the previous day. I could mark fish but they owould not bite. I observed guys in a stratos catching small fish ripping small ripbaits in the docks but the bigger fish did not come up. I think the fishing pressure and change of weather (drop in barometric pressure) killed the bite. I could not even get bit soaking minnows! Maybe fish slower and more methodical and don't just look for boils. It also pays to be super stealthy in the shallows when there is not much current. The stripers seem to be more sppoky in these areas.

PS look out for the giant sealion! He is out there and will kill your bite.
MrSkeeter

Post by MrSkeeter »

185vsfrog,

I found that cove at the end of the day and think I might have seen you too. I was in the white Skeeter by myself . Were you in the dark Ranger fishing alone too??

Earlier in the day, I fish Lido Bay and the bays next to Lido (both to the west and the east), but no biters. Then I found this bay ... second bay off Indian and Kellog Creek ... wow!! ... Baitfish & stripers were stacked there. Fished that bay from 3PM to 4:30PM ... caught five stripers during that time, with a couple of 5 pounders in addition to a 2 pound LM! It was difficult trying to land those 5's when the net was ... not at the ready and had to untangle it in one hand and trying to fight that fish with the other. Yup ... ripping too ...

The guy in the Stratos told me that they had limits of 5's with a 8# kicker (they had 3 to the boat) and had limited by 9 or 10AM. Only wish I had found that earlier!!

Went back yesterday, Saturday, and it was dead. Water temp dropped a couple of degrees from the day before. Didn't get there till 2PM ... fished most of the bays from there all the way down Kellog Creek. Only one small LM to show for 3 hours of work!

Think the wind pushed the bait, then the stripers into that cove. But when the wind died the last couple of days, the baitfish scattered ...
Chris
" ... An adventure is a disaster that fails to kill you. A disaster is an adventure that does ..."
[url=http://www.bassclassics.org]Bass Classics of Santa Clara[/url]
[url=http://5littleones.googlepages.com/index.htm]My Home Page[/url]
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

Yup that was me Mr. Skeeter. If you see me again out there introduce yourself. I'm glad to hear you got into them. I saw a change in water temp drop of 2 degrees from thurs to friday. If it dropped 2 more on Sat it will definitely slow the fish down.
I was a little frustrated seeing so many boats out on Friday. Maybe thats why I usually only fish weekdays. Maybe cuz of the holiday weekend, that could explain it.
On thursday, I also found a little drainage area that was pushing out muddy water on the outgoing tide. I had 1 dozen minnows to play with and I had about nine remaining. I pitched the minnows in on a split shot rig on 8lb test and hooked nine fish on nine minnows, all within approx. 1/2 hour. They would not touch lures but loved those little minnows. Biggest was about 8lb.
I don't carry a net on my boat and all fish I catch are lipped. I want invest in a boga grip someday so I can grab, weigh, and release easily. Anyway, maybe I will see you out there this week. I am in the grey/blue ranger 185vs with the merc 175. Look forward to seeing you there.
MrSkeeter

Post by MrSkeeter »

Hmm ... hooking fish on a split shot and lipping them is one thing. But hooking fish w/ THREE treble hooks on your lure :shock: I'm not lipping THAT fish!! I'm averaging one set of trebles per trip on that same bait. These stripers rip up the trebles and your hand too ... carry a net and a COUPLE pairs of pliers is definitely recommended.

I saw one boat anchored in front of the 5MPH buoys on the east side of Disco entrance fishing the drainage pipe when I was looking earlier in the day. Didn't see him bring home any fish while I as looking though.
Chris
" ... An adventure is a disaster that fails to kill you. A disaster is an adventure that does ..."
[url=http://www.bassclassics.org]Bass Classics of Santa Clara[/url]
[url=http://5littleones.googlepages.com/index.htm]My Home Page[/url]